buying mini 0805 from gearbest

Gal Moyal

Reaction score
Country
Israel
hey guys,

I just bought mini 0805 from gearbest in the next link for about 70$, and after buying it, i realized that ebay and amazon are selling it in 100$.
Since i dont really know gearbest site, should i worry? is the item i'm getting any worse than getting it from ebay? there's got to be an explaination for the price differences..

Have anyone of you ever bought from gearbest? can i trust this oddly-cheap mini 0805?

Thank you!
G.

buying from China is usually the cheapest option, if you have no problems with the product it's usually a reasonable experience, delivery is sometimes quite slow so something to keep in mind

if you have problems with the product it can be a whole lot different though

buying from China is usually the cheapest option, if you have no problems with the product it's usually a reasonable experience, delivery is sometimes quite slow so something to keep in mind

if you have problems with the product it can be a whole lot different though
Thank you for your response!
Well, I have found mini 0805 quite good since it's reviews online, dont you agree?

Thank you for your response!
Well, I have found mini 0805 quite good since it's reviews online, dont you agree?
There have been a few out of focus recently, but that is the same for a lot of dashcams and if you can do a bit of DIY then it isn't a problem.
I don't think many need sending back for other reasons.

There have been a few out of focus recently, but that is the same for a lot of dashcams and if you can do a bit of DIY then it isn't a problem.
I don't think many need sending back for other reasons.
Different items, 0806 vs 0805.

Last edited by a moderator:
bought my first 0805 beginning of April from Amazon, was pointed to me it was out of focus, so returned it with in the 14 days, last week got another 0805 from Gearbest, tried it out the day it arrived

surprise surprise, that was even more out of focus than the first one I had previously sent back, been in touch with Gearbest they tell me they will get back to me in 2 or 3 days, but looks like I’ll have to open it up and sort it out myself if its to function correctly,

sad to say as on the same week I got hold go the SJ4000 wifi cheap action camera, and as it can perform as a DVR thought I’d give it a go, I wasn’t disappointed, now if only both my 0805 and my 0806 would produce images half as good I’d be pleased, seems to be the out of focus is giving this brand a bad name, shame as the form factor and spec all sound promising but let down by low quality inspection (if there is any)

all sound promising but let down by low quality inspection (if there is any)

quality control varies by customer, small orders and domestic market sales typically have no external QC auditing, same is true for most products, that's not just a mini series thing

I know Jokiin, it would be unrealistic cost wise to examine each and every DVR (in this case the mini range) to perfection, or we will end up paying Hasselblad cameras & zeiss lens prices for these DVR’s

As one of the most I’ve heard complaints about the mini range is the focus is out, there must be a way for them to narrow down this error, only going by my latest 0805, everything from about 2.5M to infinity is out of focus, surely by now they should of worked out where is the middle point for the lens to focus om infinity and finding a way to be sure the lens hits that spot +/- in/out On my old Zeiss 40 Hasselblad lens, I focused on 1M and everything all the way up to infinity was sharp/in focus, I can only think these mini 08xx lens are just screwed all the way in so focus is from maybe 10cm to 1M

still have an old Kodak from the 70’s, it was a cheap and cheerful camera, just point and shoot and everything from 1M to infinity would be i focus due to its small lens aperture and where the focal point fixed to give the largest depth of field, my thinking is, if they (the makers of the mini range) have worked out at what point infinity (as you can't focus past infinity) is in focus, then surely they could/should be able to hit that spot 99.9%r of the time, as the lens being a very wide angel lens,there is a very large tolerance for focusing

personal, I don’t think it’s a tolerance issue, I feel its more of letting too many through with out a check as a small discrepancy in focusing one could understand but the amount the out of focus on my second mini was, it was just way too much to be anything to do with tolerance, just a lack of a few checks

focus on car cameras is a manual process, some staff that do this are quite diligent, others maybe not so much, if no external QC though how many slip through, too many

I just received mine from GearBest. It took about 5 days. It works, and I'm about to order another for capturing the rearview of my vehicle. They're on sale!

I just ordered another one of these from GearBest. They are $67.23
I tried using the coupon they provided, but the price actually went up! I guess they are using some sort of
new math.

My 805 arrived out of focus and I was very disappointed.

Had to open it up and adjust.

Very frustrating.

I mean really, this thing is a CAMERA, and the #1 objective of a camera is to capture a clear image!

They have got to work this out or I will not purchase another 805/06/07/09/901 as much as I want to. And I really want to purchase another.

Once correctly focused I love the thing, I have been very happy with its operation, but taking apart miniature electronics is NOT MY THING, and mine looks like it's been through a war zone, no longer records sound or plays sound as the wires for each broke at the solder joints while focusing.

Make the thing with the ability to adjust focus EXTERNALLY!

Last edited:
I also have to note that after 2 hours of continuous use, (Almost EXACTLY 2 hours) I get a "Low Battery" warning and the thing shuts down.

I assume it overheats as going an hour and a half I never have this problem and never see any concern with battery state of charge.

Starts up instantly with the ignition, shuts down 15 seconds after car is turned off.

99.999% of my trips are under 2 hours so this does not concern me at all.

I mean really, this thing is a CAMERA, and the #1 objective of a camera is to capture a clear image!

this is my number one gripe too, its sole object in life is to capture images, stuff like GPS, ADAS, Motion detect, Stamp, Driver number, Velocity stamp and all the other add on’s are of secondary importance if what it captures is out of focus,

Hi everyone,
I also purchased from gearbest. I'm testing it out at home before installing it and there seems to be no focus issue with my device. Unfortunately, I'm having GPS trouble.

As soon as I connect the cable to charge, No GPS icon appears on screen. It doesn't matter whether I charge it over GPS module or device itself. I left it by the window for 40 minutes, actively recording but icon did not disappear. Recorded videos show all zeros for locaiton information.

When I disconnect charging cable, icon disappears. I tried to record some videos on battery but as you know battery dies out pretty quickly.

I guess there is no need to say that I already turned on GPS from settings. Did I get a faulty one or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

as for the battery dying on you, I think its not dying on you as you think, but performing as it was made to do,

that is to make sure once you cut off power to the DVR, there is still power to safely save the last file and then switch off safely (as in a way these are mini computers) so not to leave the last file corrupt, also not forgetting, all the settings you have made to the DVR needs power to keep them stored, mostly date & time, if your battery was dying on you, you’d be re setting the settings every time you powered on the DVR, I remember my old Atari computer of the 80's, 1 meg ram, and as it didn't have an internal battery every time I switched it on, I had to re set date and time or my file dates were not correct

A friend asked me to buy a cam for her, knowing that she wasn't very techy, I decided she really needed a screen but also more discreet.
Looked at the advice here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-to-buy-sticky.10618/
And ended up following the link for the 0805 - checked these forums for problems & figured it was worth a punt.
Ordered from GearBest on 9th, shipped on 16th and arrived on 20th.
Only cost me $68.65 (it's even cheaper now!) Thought I'd got a cheaper one without gps - but this one seems to have all the bells and whistles!
Had it running for a couple of hours today & quite pleased. I've got it stuck to the screen with blue tac!
I was amazed when I opened up the file on the card to see gps files as well as a player which showed the video, satelite view, speed etc.
And it's in focus as well. Result.
I've got it set to highest bitrate so I'll see how long it will record for tomorrow when i have it running all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Mini 0805 Out of Focus issues... Has anyone checked this yet?

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/#Out_of_Focus

A DIY (Do-It-Yourself) photo step-by-step guide has already been released. I followed this one and it helped a lot. The only horrible ordeal regarding this is taking the glue part. You really have to be very, very careful not to slip or else you could cut into any portion of the dash cam's exposed internal parts (and that wouldn't be fun at all).

Back