clamp on camera to mount outside window facing rearward?

bus driver

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a camera that will clamp on the sliding driver's window of a bus. Essentially, I want to verify the license plates of vehicles which pass me going the opposite direction. It is very difficult to view and remember the plate number viewing it backwards in my mirror. It is also very hard for me to lean forward, look backwards and see the plate number with minimal reaction time. The cam would be temporarily mounted and would not be used in the rain, etc.

Why do I want this? When my bus is stopped and the door is open, red lights flash at the top front and rear of the bus. Additionally on the driver's side of the bus, a flashing red "STOP" sign swings out. If you haven't guessed, I operate a school bus and on a regular basis, drivers ignore the law requiring them to stop, endangering "my" kids. Mostly this happens on multi-lane roads where oncoming vehicles and students are boarding/exiting on the right side of the bus. However, I've also had it happen on two lane roads where I stop and students cross in front of the bus.

It is my job to watch the kids and tell them when to cross. However, they are elementary school kids and often do not pay attention. I am cannot get off the bus so I must get their attention from inside which can be difficult with the short attention span of the little ones.

Any yes, I want to send a message to drivers who violate my red lights. In my state, that "message" is a $285 fine and two points on their license which never expires. With a license plate number, description of the car and details, location, time, etc, the state police will issue a ticket to the owner of the car. If the owner wasn't driving at the time, he is still responsible to inform the police who was driving.

The video is not to submit as proof, rather, for my benefit to because I can't read and write down the number.

a lot of the gopro clones have "car mode" which starts recording when a power source is active (i.e. ignition starts up) along with loop-recording. I can confirm my previous DBPower EX5000 and SJ4000 have these features. and of course they're easy to mount because they use the same mounting standard as gopro.

Back