United Kingdom
Hi all
im searching for ideal dashcam for the reasonable price. Heres the criteria :
2channel
front camera Starvis 2 4k/30 fps switchable to 1440p/60fps
rear camera Starvis 1080p/30fps
Super capacitor
Timelapse parking recording with low bitrate mode
Easy removable from the windshield for bring in it to the computer for to transfer the files
minimum 512Gb card size support
price around 200$
Is there such a product on the market thank you

Welcome to the club.
You forgot HDR.
STARVIS 2 without HDR is almost useless at night, (BlackVue DR970X Plus & Thinkware U3000).
I remember reading 4K image sensors do not do well when 2K resolution is selected.
Maybe @Nigel can elaborate.
I think it was @TonyM that discovered the A139 Pro did not function properly in 2K resolution setting.
Did you see this video;

I think it was @TonyM that discovered the A139 Pro did not function properly in 2K resolution setting.
I think that issue has been sorted, or will be next firmware update.

I remember reading 4K image sensors do not do well when 2K resolution is selected.
They do OK, but it is not an ideal scaling:

2160 / 1080 = 2, which is an easy scaling, there is 1 pixel in the output for every 4 pixels in the source, a perfect scaling if you average the 4 source pixels into the destination pixel, but:
2160 / 1440 = 1.5, so you have to chop the source pixels up to allocate them to the correct destination position, which is not possible, so straight lines on license plate characters become a little blurred, or distorted in position, depending on how it is done, making the licence plates less readable.

Generally it is better to use a 4K sensor at 4K resolution and simply turn down the bitrate. You can end up with the same file sizes, but without the blur/distortion, at least while parked so that there is plenty of bitrate. At high speed you may get some blurring due to insufficient bitrate, but that tends to cause pixelation in places that don't matter, while leaving the license plates sharp.

Alternatively, run it at 1080 resolution, where you will get excellent image quality, significantly better than with a 1080 sensor, and the plates will be almost as readable as at 2K.

Usually when a camera specifies a maximum memory card size, it is because that was the maximum size card available at the time the camera was introduced. With the exception of the transition to memory cards larger than 2 GB a camera will usually work with larger memory cards than they claim. The SD standard requires cards larger than 32GB to be formatted with exFAT which many cameras do not support, but FAT32, a format they do support works on cards larger than 32GB, so it is just a matter of re-formatting the card. Windows won't let you format a larger memory card with FAT32, so you will have to use a third party tool, or, possibly format the card in the camera.

Welcome to the club.
You forgot HDR.
STARVIS 2 without HDR is almost useless at night, (BlackVue DR970X Plus & Thinkware U3000).
Did you see this video;

i thought HDR coming automatically with Starvis 2 :) thank you for the input ill keep S1 Pro now and wait for Starvis 4 with super HDR :) It looks reliable thats all i need right now

Usually when a camera specifies a maximum memory card size, it is because that was the maximum size card available at the time the camera was introduced. With the exception of the transition to memory cards larger than 2 GB a camera will usually work with larger memory cards than they claim. The SD standard requires cards larger than 32GB to be formatted with exFAT which many cameras do not support, but FAT32, a format they do support works on cards larger than 32GB, so it is just a matter of re-formatting the card. Windows won't let you format a larger memory card with FAT32, so you will have to use a third party tool, or, possibly format the card in the camera.
i know this i had in previous dashcam twice higher capacity than recommended maximum but after 1y of use the dashcam started to have own mind random freezes and didnt hold the settings. I did update it it worked well about 2 weeks and then froze again and it didnt hold settings thus i ditched it

Last edited:

Back