Cowboy hard-wiring discussion

dyel74

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR600GW, DR3500FHD, Street Guardian SG9665GC
Whilst waiting for my fuse taps to be delivered, I've used the 'cowboy' method of hardwiring my dashcam by simply inserting the wires into the fuse sockets which are secured tightly by the individual fuses. My fuses box uses micro low-profile fuses, so wrapping the wire around the fuse leg is not an option.

I know this is not ideal, and have been told numerous times by members that it's not safe, but realistically, how many reported cases are there on the fuse box catching on fire, etc? (I'm not justifying the stupidity of my current hardwiring, but am curious about the realistic consequences of such a cowboy setup).

Literally thousands of installs are performed like this in Korea, and in fact as instructed in the Power Magic Pro manual, so if it was such a hazardous and dangerous setup, wouldn't we would have heard about it and seen examples of the consequences by now...?

Thoughts?

Depends if your on the output side of the fuse. If your on the battety side of the fuse then your wire is now un fused and could cause a fire if it shorts to ground.

Thanks HouseApe.

How does one know which side is output and which side is battery? I can't recall seeing any markings on the fuse legs....

Pull the fuse out, one side of the socket will be hot. The other not, and that's the Socket you should use.
Also find the lowest amp fuse in the box to tap into.

Pull the fuse out, one side of the socket will be hot. The other not, and that's the Socket you should use.
Also find the lowest amp fuse in the box to tap into.

Thanks mate, much appreciated :)

Back