DVR207 FM Interferrence Solution?

Note to seller: the BANANA-SHAPED power plugs are more usable than the straight ones. I have to use a dual power adaptor (splitter) to plug the DVR in at the same time as my GPS, and there is very little space left for a straight plug.

Here's my splitter:

47106.jpg

Here's the best power plug to use

Car-Vehicle-Power-Adapter-Charger-for-Magellan-GPS-Devices-Black_320x320.jpg

I should have bought this

usb-car-charge.jpg

Note the USB slots as well :cool:

Re: DVR207 FM Interference Solution?

Ramshackle said:
Here's the best power plug to use

Car-Vehicle-Power-Adapter-Charger-for-Magellan-GPS-Devices-Black_320x320.jpg

That is the power plug I ordered. So I am confident that this one will not cause any interference.

iamdrumming said:
I bought some of those ferrite clip-ons to help with the interference issues, but they still don't help. I saw this car charger on Ebay, and wonder if this will be better than the charger that came with my DVR-207.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280892569787
The plug size 5.5mm/2.1mm is not compatible to the DVR-207. It must be a plug 3.5mm/1.35mm or 3.5mm/1.45mm (outside/inside diameter). I ordered this one. It is on the way from China to Germany.

Thanks for the reply! Which is better, the 1.35mm or 1.45mm inside diameter, or is there really a difference?

Oddly, I've never taken one of those ferrite beads apart, the ones that are molded to the cable. I have always assumed that internally they have the cable wires wrapped at least once around the core. I can't imagine that the snap on ones do anything. Just because many are sold does not mean they work. After all, many people wear those copper bracelets with the false belief that they relieve arthritis.

Here's an example of how a ferrite core should be installed to better clamp hi-freq EMI:

Attachments

• ferrite bead.gif
    ferrite bead.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 334
  • ferrite.JPG
    ferrite.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 331
  • ferrite4.jpg
    ferrite4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 331
I haven't had the interference issue at all in my Jeep. But, my accessory receptacle isn't wired through the cigarett lighters, etc., straight to the battery (so no automatic starting up in record, which suits me fine frankly). I also frequently use it on battery only mode which is fine for what I do. Also no interference in my Chevy Volt.

I did buy an F500 as well, and it really is a very nice little camera. Bit more awkward to mount, but great quality TRUE 1020P HD. And you can "Flip" the video so you can mount it more creatively without worrying about what side is "up". Came with a nice little carrying case and an HDMI cord to boot! Charges via a mini-USB (also included of course), but that also means you can charge it with many phone chargers, etc. Purchase was again made through eStore009, no complaints at all with them.

The replacement charger they sent me fixed my FM and GPS interference issue. The original charger also went bad, so I'm glad they sent a replacement and not just a ferrite bead.

Kwolf, I'm using the original charger. I get a little FM interference (in some areas only) and my GPS takes a little longer to locate satellites at first, but then it's fine. I'll soon get the ferrite snap-on and see if that helps.

If someone wanted to frighten people off this DVR, a competitor let's say, he/she would join this forum and make exactly the sort of doom and gloom posts you are making. Just saying', dude. You may be completely legit, but your posts are making me suspicious.

You are complaining in several threads about your defective unit, and now you are urging people to write the seller to send a new power supply. Give it a rest.

I ask the forum moderator to look at the totality of this users' posts. Every one of them casts doubts and aspersions on this DVR. It's clearly (to me) commercial trolling.

Can someone comment if the Ebay charger I listed above will work with my DVR-207? :)

I have a Garmin 2595LMT GPS with a GTM 60 HD Digital Traffic Receiver cable. The DVR doesn't stop the GPS from getting a GPS signal. It does block the traffic signal that GPS always acquires though, so if I'm also wondering if there are other people who are experiencing the blocking of the GPS traffic signal as well. By the way, I did buy some of those ferrite snap-ons, but they don't seem to help.

I am not convinced that Kwolf is a commercial troll. The issues he raises are quite possible given other people's experiences. If his IP address originated in China I would be more suspicious ;) It originates in the US.

I'm not actually dissatisfied with the DVR-207. For the price it's a great little camera. The seller, estore009 has been very helpful as well. I am not a commercial troll and the DVR-207 is actually only my 2nd dashcam (first one was a fake dvr-027, purchased from a different ebay seller).

Ramshackle: Nowhere am I 'urging' people to contact the seller to get their chargers replaced. I'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't having the interference problems. I was simply stating that they did resolve my GPS issue by replacing it, and that the original charger did go bad. The original chargers interference with my FM radio was not really terrible, but my Garmin nuvi 1450 GPS refused to lock on while the DVR charger was connected. BTW, the replacement charger estore009 sent me is just like the 'banana' shaped one posted earlier in this topic except it has a ferrite core towards the camera end. My camera has also not froze up since the charger was replaced, but that is anecdotal evidence. I have also formatted my SD card (again) since then. The only real issue I am having with the camera is that the video is slightly jerky - I will be looking into another SD card to fix that.

DashCamMan said:
If his IP address originated in China I would be more suspicious ;) It originates in the US.

A lot of dashcam sellers are US-based.

KvR said:
RSole said:
It's the Voltage reducing convertor in the plug that is the source of the RF emission
Are you sure? The radio interference already occurs when the power cable is connected to the camera without the other side of the cable connected to the cigarette lighter socket and the camera is on.
There is no interference when the camera is off but the power cable is connected to both the camera and the cigarette lighter socket. I do not know if the battery is charged when the camera is off while it is powered. If yes, it is for sure that the interference is coming from the running camera and not from the power cable.

rjgscotland does not use the supplied adapter, but rather a hard-wired 5v voltage regulator. He still has the interference.

Most probably, the camera itself is scattering the interference through the power cable and not sending it via the cable into the electrical system of the car. The power cable is acting like a transmitter antenna. The noise on FM is becoming quieter or louder as soon as I start moving the power cable.

Completely agree!!

I notice something very interesting and weird. It seems that the problem is not with the charger, but the unit itself. The unit emits certain interfering signals. I plugged the unit to my laptop through regular USB cable and after that I am not able to surf any website :shock: . Wifi shows that its connected, however no web pages would open. I unplugged the DVR, voila internet is back. I tried couple of times and same result. Then I just turned the DVR unit on and kept it close to my laptop (without plugging to usb). Same results every time. It seems that unit is interfering with the wifi signals.

Attaching the charger cable simply amplifies the problem (as it acts as additional antenna for the DVR unit), hence interference with the FM.

kwolf said:
The replacement charger they sent me fixed my FM and GPS interference issue. The original charger also went bad, so I'm glad they sent a replacement and not just a ferrite bead.

So they sent you a new charger cable? I emailed them about the same interference issues, and they said they would send me a new cable, but all I got in the mail today was a RF ferrite clip-on.

At various stages the seller promised to send me a ferrite clip and even a new SD card.

What have I received so far? Nada.

Back