G1WH - Memory Error

Regnes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I just got my G1WH in the mail and was very excited to set it up, but when I inserted my micro SD, it just says "Memory Error", I know it recognizes that there is an SD card in there because if I remove it and try to record, it tells me to insert a card.

I purchased a 64GB Sony SDXC SR-64UY for this camera, alternatively I borrowed a 4GB Lexar SDHC (specific model number unknown) from my phone which it would not recognize as it would continue to tell me to insert a card.

Upon further inspection, I believe I may have been in error by purchasing a card this large, I may need to switch to a 32GB card. Can anybody confirm this?

Are you able to format either card using the camera? I would try that. I have had issues with cards as well, seems to be an ongoing problem for many recording devices. Others have suggested a program called guiformat, which you could try to format the card on a pc first then insert into camera. I always insert the card with the camera disconnected from power and shutdown.

...I may need to switch to a 32GB card. Can anybody confirm this?

That would be the first thing I'd try. What does the manual for the camera say? Every G1W-x I'm aware of has a max card size of 32GB.

The 4GB might be too small and thus not recognized.

Are you able to format either card using the camera? I would try that. I have had issues with cards as well, seems to be an ongoing problem for many recording devices. Others have suggested a program called guiformat, which you could try to format the card on a pc first then insert into camera. I always insert the card with the camera disconnected from power and shutdown.

I don't know how to format a card, I'm a total camera noob. How would I go about doing that?

Hi Regnes, I heard of someone else having the same problem. It appears they did not give the camera a full 180 minute charge before carrying out the set up. I'm not technical minded so don't understand why, but after fully charging for the 3 hours, the camera recognised the card and the set up went ahead.
Just remember to format the card in the camera itself before carring out the set up. Cards seem to be a bit of a hit and miss affair regards which ones to use. I only got my G1WH yesterday and am having a few issues myself which may lead to me having to buy a different make and class of card. Good luck with getting yours sorted.

formatting wipes the card and may set it up in a different file format to what was on there before. make sure the cards have nothing on them that you want as once you format them getting the data back is difficult.
Easiest way is to use a pc and connect the card using a reader to the pc. When the card is recognized by the pc, right click it and find format, then agree. It should be using the fat32 format with default allocation size. Or google guiformat and see if that helps you.
You can also try inserting the card when the camera is off, then powering it on, but this requires the card to be readable when inserted and you told us it gives errors.

Thanks for all the advice, though unfortunately I was unable to remedy the situation, I just got a 32 GB and it's working fine, I gave my Dad the 64GB card for his fancy camera, he was pleased lol.

Back