GS1000 Orange Menu - Startup Problems

EdMcK

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a new GS1000 last week with the orange menu, but the firmware version number -- 2013022203 -- seems a bit unusual. Problem is, I'm having all kinds of issues getting this unit up and running. It does not start when I turn on the ignition (as it should, right?), and it stops recording while I'm still driving (WTF!). Maybe I haven't set things up correctly in the menu? Maybe a fake orange menu? It will start up only if I push the "start" button but then it shuts down after maybe 5 minutes of driving. I'm new to dash cams and I can already see that they are not plug-and-play devices.

Thanks Joklin, appreciate the help. Motion detection is "Off" and I'm using the correct power cable, no problem. Anyone familiar with the firmware version number I referenced in my original post? Why won't this unit come on when the car starts?

EdMcK said:
Thanks Joklin, appreciate the help. Motion detection is "Off" and I'm using the correct power cable, no problem. Anyone familiar with the firmware version number I referenced in my original post? Why won't this unit come on when the car starts?

the common reason why it won't come on and auto record is the wrong cable type being used, are you certain it's even getting power from this cable, if you have to manually start it up and it's shutting down is similar to how it might behave on batteries (depending on the menu options selected)

I agree, the power cable is always suspect. In this case, however, it is working fine -- it powers up my brother's GS1000, no problem. The USB port seems fine as well; the camera starts immediately when I connect it to my computer. Very confusing.

EdMcK said:
I agree, the power cable is always suspect. In this case, however, it is working fine -- it powers up my brother's GS1000, no problem.

it could still be the wrong type for your camera, even if it works with another camera, the plug is common, the wiring config is not, there's 3 distinct versions I know of that are commonly used, it would mean you were supplied the incorrect one for that to be the case though, something else at play maybe, some cameras I've seen have a menu option for how to behave when connected via USB, not sure if yours has this but worth double checking all the settings, otherwise take it up with the seller I guess

Good info about the power cables, thanks.

Joklin, you were right all along. It was the power cable. Like you said, a cable that works with an older (blue menu) GS1000 might not work with a newer (orange menu) GS1000, even though the cables may appear to be identical. Thanks very much for your help.

EdMcK said:
Joklin, you were right all along. It was the power cable. Like you said, a cable that works with an older (blue menu) GS1000 might not work with a newer (orange menu) GS1000, even though the cables may appear to be identical. Thanks very much for your help.

yeah that's what I meant by using the correct power adapter, as in using the included one

sorry my original post was a bit brief, I was posting from my mobile in a hospital waiting room at the time and was just logging in quickly to see what was happening

Back