Vantrue S1 Pro Test & Review PP

@Jeff_Vantrue
I tested the new VT-ECK301 firmware to check if there are any improvements in HDR performance.
I see no improvement, and still consider the HDR non functional.
Low light sensitivity also looks poor compared to the A119 Mini 2.

S1 .png
A119 Mini 2 .png

S1 Pro Low Light .png
A119 Mini 2 Low Light .png

Here are the videos the screenshots were taken from;

Attachments

• S1 Pro Firmware .png
    S1 Pro Firmware .png
    116.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A119 Mini 2 Firmware .png
    A119 Mini 2 Firmware .png
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
Side by side comparison;

@Jeff_Vantrue
I tested the new VT-ECK301 firmware to check if there are any improvements in HDR performance.
I see no improvement, and still consider the HDR non functional.
Low light sensitivity also looks poor compared to the A119 Mini 2.

View attachment 69621
View attachment 69622

View attachment 69623
View attachment 69624

Here are the videos the screenshots were taken from;

Hi Chuck, thank you for your continuous contribution to the review! We appreciate your insights, and we'd like to address the observations you shared.

The differences noted in the S1 Pro's HDR mode, particularly the perceived weaker suppression of highlights in night-time low-light environments, are a result of our intentional technological approach. Vantrue's HDR mode is designed to achieve a balanced enhancement, aiming to provide improved clarity in both high and low-light areas.

We understand that HDR preferences may vary, and your feedback is essential in our ongoing efforts to refine and optimize our products. In light of your observations, we want to assure you that we'll be actively working on further optimizing the S1 Pro's night-time HDR performance. Stay tuned for future firmware updates, as we strive to enhance your overall experience with our dashcams.

Jeff

S1 .png

Last edited:
The differences noted in the S1 Pro's HDR mode, particularly the perceived weaker suppression of highlights in night-time low-light environments, are a result of our intentional technological approach. Vantrue's HDR mode is designed to achieve a balanced enhancement, aiming to provide improved clarity in both high and low-light areas.
Thanks for the reply / explanation.
Keep in mind the S1 Pro you sent me is a pre-production model with no serial number.
If you guys made any hardware changes to the retail / production versions you may want to send that for testing.
I’m rooting for you guys to match the level of Viofo night time image quality.
Daytime is not the issue.
Night time is the hard part.

@Jeff_Vantrue
Oh yeah, I’m not testing the S1 Pro’s rear camera for 2 reasons.
1.) The rear camera is out of focus.
2.) STARVIS 1 1080p.
Developing a STARVIS 1 1080p rear camera is a waste of time now that we have 1440p STARVIS 2 Rear cameras.

Thanks for the reply / explanation.
Keep in mind the S1 Pro you sent me is a pre-production model with no serial number.
If you guys made any hardware changes to the retail / production versions you may want to send that for testing.
I’m rooting for you guys to match the level of Viofo night time image quality.
Daytime is not the issue.
Night time is the hard part.
When I typed "hardware" I meant firmware :banghead::banghead::banghead: There aren't hardware updates on S1 Pro at the moment. Our tech department is working very hard on the overall night-time performance. But do keep in mind that every company might have different understandings and technical intentions on image qualities.

Jeff

I wander if the screen will turn off in Low Bitrate Parking mode? I think it would reduce quite a bit of power consumption so to prolong battery life.

A dashcam / any dashcam should be able to go completely dark in parking guard mode, some do prefer to have a warning LED going ( i am looking at you South Korean guys ) but i think in general people will want stealth.
Screen should also turn off in regular mode, it would be illegal to have it on all the time in some places.

Getting harder and harder not to look at a screen nowadays in modern vehicles. New electric cars have what could be described as laptop screens for most controls, satnav and telephone screens are very visible, these of course are of use to a driver. Whereas a dashcam screen is of no informative use and should therefor be blank if practicable. imho.

Getting harder and harder not to look at a screen nowadays in modern vehicles. New electric cars have what could be described as laptop screens for most controls, satnav and telephone screens are very visible, these of course are of use to a driver. Whereas a dashcam screen is of no informative use and should therefor be blank if practicable. imho.
Totally agreed, I have a big screen in my Kia that I glance at a fair bit but dashcams I only look at the screen when I turn the ignition on to make sure everything is working fine. Then a few seconds later I set off, and the screen turns off by itself

Back