LK-7900 Memory Card ONLY LUKAS?

lotrbfme

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I am new to the forum,

Recently a close friend of mine got scammed in a fake car accident and I decided to buy a dash cam... Long story made short... I am going to buy the LK-7900 but I would like to ask the community:

Can I use a different brand of memory card such as PNY, Kingstone, Sandisk on the Camera?

I ask this because on the lukashd.com website it states this:

lukasio.jpg

Black box doesnt operate when the SD card not certified by Lukas is inserted.

Thanks all!!

I've tried several different branded cards, all work fine.

Mines a 7dayshop professional 32gb class 10 that I bought for my camera for holiday photos for a big trip I did a couple of years ago. Works perfect in the Lukas :)

http://www.7dayshop.com/memory-cards-an ... b-class-10

So doesn't even have to be Samsung, sandisk, etc. Anything with good reviews will do :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, newb here. I just got a Lukas 7900 with 8gb card. Someone else in this thread mentioned using a micro sd card but mine came with a standard card. Will it work with a micro sd plugged into the card adapter?

mjl99 said:
Hi everyone, newb here. I just got a Lukas 7900 with 8gb card. Someone else in this thread mentioned using a micro sd card but mine came with a standard card. Will it work with a micro sd plugged into the card adapter?

Yes

mjl99 said:

There is no advantage and nothing gained by using a MicoSD card. They are actually more expensive and have been known to over heat more often in dash cams. I would recommend not using them in favor of the standard SD fir that reason.

Al Drake said:
mjl99 said:

There is no advantage and nothing gained by using a MicoSD card. They are actually more expensive and have been known to over heat more often in dash cams. I would recommend not using them in favor of the standard SD fir that reason.

have never experienced an overheating problem with MicroSD cards, however the adapters they're used with to use in an SD slot I have seen buckle from heat many times, for this application a regular SD card is the better option

Only reason I ask, is because I like the idea of being able to remove the card and insert the micro sd into my smartphone to view or copy files for any number of reasons. I've had issues with reading the micro cards thru the adapters and was curious if people successfully used micro sd cards with the adapter in the lukas cam. I was able to borrow a micro sd card and adapter tonight and test it with the dash cam and my smartphone and I was able to view and copy files on my smartphone, which was helpful imo. Nice alternative to cams that dont have wifi.

Certainly more convenient and fine if you're not somewhere where the summer temps are excessive, it's the car temp that causes problems with this rather than usage

Should be alright with a good brand card. Though Al makes a good point, I can see its possible that the adapter does something strange as the card will get really hot inside it, maybe the adapter is only designed for copying files off on your pc, not such hardcore use. YMMV.

Jazzist said:
Should be alright with a good brand card. Though Al makes a good point, I can see its possible that the adapter does something strange as the card will get really hot inside it, maybe the adapter is only designed for copying files off on your pc, not such hardcore use. YMMV.

It has something to do with the tiny pins inside the adapter and the fact that the card is so small and inside that adapter all the time. The larger the card the more heat will be dissipated. Sure, you can use a MicorSD card and have it work fine but that doesn't mean everything will be ok in the future. I've see photos here on this forum of those cards melting. I have a SanDisk MicroSD and you can clearly see a bulge where the heat has warped it. I won't use it again of coarse. I'll say it again. There is nothing gained if you have no reason to use a MicorSD card in any device that is made for a full sized card. You have to decide if it's worth the risk of the card melting and not being able to remove it from the camera.

Those here who are using other branded SD cards, how do you know if the Black Box is working? Is there any way to tell?

I have always felt that Lukas makes this claim because they want us to purchase their outrageously expensive cards, but at the same time, I don't see how they could configure the hardware in their SD card to work only with there devices. Formatting would not work because all the cards have to be formatted...that is why it would have to be a hardware configuration. I asked Lukas about this once and they said that they manufacture their own card which is highly unlikely because they are a relatively small company and there are only a hand full of companies that actually manufacture theses cards. I would bet that their cards are manufactured by Samsung or Lexar.

Those here who are using other branded SD cards, how do you know if the Black Box is working? Is there any way to tell?

I have always felt that Lukas makes this claim because they want us to purchase their outrageously expensive cards, but at the same time, I don't see how they could configure the hardware in their SD card to work only with there devices. Formatting would not work because all the cards have to be formatted...that is why it would have to be a hardware configuration. I asked Lukas about this once and they said that they manufacture their own card which is highly unlikely because they are a relatively small company and there are only a hand full of companies that actually manufacture theses cards. I would bet that their cards are manufactured by Samsung or Lexar.

I use a class 10 San Disk SDHC 64 gig memory card, and it works perfect.. I would have went with the same card in 128 gigs, but it was twice the price, and just couldn't afford it at the time.
Using a SDHC card works well, just make sure that your reader you have, can read that type of memory card, as a lot of the older card readers, can only read as high as 32 gigs.

I presume they say that because if you use a crappy card and it fails they can disclaim responsibility, not because the cards have any technical reason not to work. I have both a 128GB Lukas and a 64GB non-Lukas card that work fine in it.

Sure. There will be abosolutely no problem buying Kingstone or anything. I bet these dash cameras will be always beneficial to your life. We actually sell and manufacture all dash cameras in Korea. Please email cs@astrobile.com if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Jason

@ astrobile.com It would be nice to have more information about your company , clicking on your about us does not reveal a great deal if you look at other site retailers or manufactures you can see company history/ structure/site map and at times street view of company premises but you seem very shy at revealing any such detail.Also the article ( a good experience with astrobile intrigues me as to why namkung yong found the shipping fees such a burden when you are both based in korea according to your profiles...... A clarification would be appreciated by myself and perhaps other interested members .........Apologies in advance if my suspicions prove unfounded..............Ipol

Post #1 fron DashCamMan on the Vendor forum:

Since more dash can sellers and retailers are joining the forum, there seems to be a need for them to post about their business. I set up this forum so that a vendor can create a topic on what products they are selling and any other info on their business.

Some rules:
-1 thread per vendor
-Vendors are encouraged to post in other sections but any advertising should be kept here
-Owners should continue to post feedback on vendors in the owner feedback sub forum
-Each vendor's thread is "owned" by the vendor. Other vendors or camera owners should not attack them in these threads

Ultimately this is an owners forum and we appreciate input from all parties. However we want to make sure the board does not just become an avenue for dash can advertising.

Thank you

Back