Looking for something portable

snacksthecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC (front), Mobius (rear)
I park my car over night on city streets and would like to be able to remove my dashcam after each trip so that my car doesn't get broken into. The mounting system for the Mini series of cams seems like it would make this very easy (powered mount, mount provides power to the unit). Are there any other cams that have a similar system that would make swapping the dashcam in and out fast and easy? Thank you for the help :)

... would like to be able to remove my dashcam after each trip so that my car doesn't get broken into. The mounting system for the Mini series of cams seems like it would make this very easy ...
Welcome to DCT. I don't think that Mini 08xx mounts are sturdy enough to tolerate repeated mounting & dismounting on a daily basis. Not suitable DashCams for such treatment.

Welcome to DCT snacksthecat :)

Thank you very much! A lot of helpful people on here!

...I don't think that Mini 08xx mounts are sturdy enough to tolerate repeated mounting & dismounting on a daily basis. Not suitable DashCams for such treatment.

Yeah that's a very good point that I didn't initially consider.

SG9665GC slips off easy and is small

I looked into this device and based on russ331's comment about the Mini device mounts, I think the Street Guardian probably has a more appropriate mounting mechanism for what I would need it to do. I'll probably go with the SG9665GC, might need to sleep on it though since it's a bit more than I'd planned to spend. It looks like they used to offer a similar unit without GPS. That would probably have been more up my alley but maybe it's a feature that I don't yet know I want.

Thank you guys for the help.

JooVuu X is tiny

SG9665GC slips off easy and is small
Could do with a lenscap though, be nice to protect the lens when putting it in my pocket.

Getting it off does require you to unplug the GPS and power though.

hi @Feitelijk
Check out the JooVuu X (www.joovuu-x.com) i think it meets all your needs - we currently don't have a lens cap but we can try and get that sorted for you.

The JooVuu X has the GPS built into the power lead so you can leave the power lead and take the JooVuu X with you.

I can drop you a message with more details if you want?

Cheers,

Dan

I'm not in the market, I just got a SG9665GC. (without lenscap)

I just noticed the recessed lens. :oops:
Great!

If anyone's interested in an update, I ended up getting the Street Guardian SG9665GC from Pier28. I'd say it was perfect for what I was looking for.
  • The kit had every cord, cable, clip, tie, pad, and sticky thing that you could possible need to mount the device / hide the cables (and then some).
  • All the default settings the camera came with made sense out of the box. The only thing I changed was the time.
  • It was actually much tinier than I expected. I could probably leave it mounted in my car full time without anyone walking by really noticing it.
  • And of course the original feature I was looking for: It's super portable. It slips on and off the mount in like 1 second. It also came with a small microfiber bag which I'd probably put it in before tossing into my backpack.
Thank you guys for the help!

Back