Mobius died..... and resurrected....??? Self healing electronics?!?!

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yesterday, my precious MOBIUS camera stopped working.

When connected to power, it only showed green led for charging, but the camera did not respond to pressing buttons, did not record anymore, and when connected to PC with USB the camera did not respond to the PC.

So I contacted eletoponline365 what to do, and he proposed a swap, and that's what we agreed to.

Now get this, I had my Mobius left alone for the night, and to be sure it is defective, I tried one more time before posting it back, but now I found the unit working perfectly as it should....!!

The date however was suddenly set to Januari 1, 2028......

Yesterday I could not connect to the PC, the unit was totally unresponsive, the only thing that seemed to happen was charging (green led), nothing else! And now it works as it should...... ???!?!?

Today I connected it to the PC and all that works again perfectly as well, reprogramming the settings with the GUI also made the date come back in line.

What happened? Can anyone explain it to me?

I am really confused here..... Any thoughts? I am using a 64 GB Micro SDXC Card (Sundisk Ultra).

I am not sending it back yet, but I will wait for you any advise what to do. Tomorrow is another long drive day for me, so I will test it out tomorrow to see what happens.

I've had that happen to me a couple of times as well, albeit not with the Mobius. I think it was a #9 or maybe a #3. If you pressed the reset button, then I don't have an explanation. I would definitely try and leave the camera alone (not connected to external power) for as long as possible and then see if it starts up properly. Also see if the time is still correct. There could have been a problem with the crystal or timing circuitry, but that's purely guesswork on my part.

I've had that happen to me a couple of times as well, albeit not with the Mobius. I think it was a #9 or maybe a #3. If you pressed the reset button, then I don't have an explanation. I would definitely try and leave the camera alone (not connected to external power) for as long as possible and then see if it starts up properly. Also see if the time is still correct. There could have been a problem with the crystal or timing circuitry, but that's purely guesswork on my part.

As you could read I left it alone for the night and then this morning it all works great again, just needed to reset the date by the GUI.

Could it have been a heat issue? Closing down to cool off? Or the fact that I use a 64GB card?

As you could read I left it alone for the night and then this morning it all works great again, just needed to reset the date by the GUI.

Could it have been a heat issue? Closing down to cool off? Or the fact that I use a 64GB card?
I don't think the heat would have been the issue. If it had, you would have barely been able to touch the camera. I think you can safely rule out the card as having anything to do with the problem.
What I really think is important is to make sure the camera keeps the time and charge, the best would be to leave it alone for a day or two.
Electronics can always act up. I've had to return sooo many defective devices, but when it happens it's very annoying. Let's just hope your problem was a firmware lock-up and not an electronic problem - but the reset should have solved that....I take it you pressed the reset button? Anyway, keep an eye on the recording LED over the next few days.

I don't think the heat would have been the issue. If it had, you would have barely been able to touch the camera. I think you can safely rule out the card as having anything to do with the problem.
What I really think is important is to make sure the camera keeps the time and charge, the best would be to leave it alone for a day or two.
Electronics can always act up. I've had to return sooo many defective devices, but when it happens it's very annoying. Let's just hope your problem was a firmware lock-up and not an electronic problem - but the reset should have solved that....I take it you pressed the reset button? Anyway, keep an eye on the recording LED over the next few days.

I did NOT even think of the reset button, so no I didn't press it.....

Does pressing the reset affect any settings I made in the GUI?

Do I have to press it when power is connected or disconnected?

I too was wondering if you had tried the reset button when I read the OP. This of course is one of the first "rules of thumb" to try when problems like this crop up.

Your glitch prompts me to ask a question I've been wondering about for some time now regarding the few times I've experienced unexplained intermittent mis-behavior in dash cams as well as other firmware based gadgets. (Only happened once with a Mobius, a freeze). Where I live, we've had an unusually cold and dry winter even by northern New England standards. At the moment, mid morning, it has finally worked it's way up to 4 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 30 percent. In these conditions static electricity discharges are very common. Could it be that static electricity in cold climate conditions could be the cause of such glitches in certain types of firmware run electronics? It would be interesting to hear whether people in cold climates have more issues with "glitchy" camera behavior than folks in warmer environments. Perhaps Isoprop has some thoughts on this?

I too was wondering if you had tried the reset button when I read the OP. This of course is one of the first "rules of thumb" to try when problems like this crop up.

Your glitch prompts me to ask a question I've been wondering about for some time now regarding the few times I've experienced unexplained intermittent mis-behavior in dash cams as well as other firmware based gadgets. (Only happened once with a Mobius, a freeze). Where I live, we've had an unusually cold and dry winter even by northern New England standards. At the moment, mid morning, it has finally worked it's way up to 4 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 30 percent. In these conditions static electricity discharges are very common. Could it be that static electricity in cold climate conditions could be the cause of such glitches in certain types of firmware run electronics? It would be interesting to hear whether people in cold climates have more issues with "glitchy" camera behavior than folks in warmer environments. Perhaps Isoprop has some thoughts on this?
I did NOT even think of the reset button, so no I didn't press it.....

Does pressing the reset affect any settings I made in the GUI?

Do I have to press it when power is connected or disconnected?

The reset basically just "shorts" the DSP, forcing it to restart. It's best to press when the camera is disconnected, but it doesn't really make any difference when you press it. I'm rather surprised eletoponline365 didn't tell you to try that first! The time and settings are not lost when you press the reset button. In fact, the settings are NEVER lost unless your update the firmware. The time is only lost when you disconnect the internal battery.

I also have a lot of static problems in winter, and it has destroyed a few of my memory sticks. Even though I've had nasty shocks when unplugging the Mobius from my PC, it hasn't suffered any damage yet. I would think the most vulnerable part is the USB connection. I'm sure static could affect the firmware, but so long it doesn't destroy the camera I can live with that. Normally, you'll only have static problems if your camera is connected to external power. Static can affect any electronic device, but I'm afraid I can't tell you if it was responsible for your 'freeze'. Maybe the card's controller froze!
FWIW I can't even open my car's door in winter without being zapped - very unpleasant!

Thanks for your reply Isoprop. Yes, it certainly sounds logical that the Mobius would have to be connected to external power. The camera is otherwise well insulated except for the USB connection.

The reset basically just "shorts" the DSP, forcing it to restart. It's best to press when the camera is disconnected, but it doesn't really make any difference when you press it. I'm rather surprised eletoponline365 didn't tell you to try that first! The time and settings are not lost when you press the reset button. In fact, the settings are NEVER lost unless your update the firmware. The time is only lost when you disconnect the internal battery.

Thanks for your input.

The camera seemed to be inactive/shut down when it was unresponsive, I wonder if it would have reset since I could not turn it on...... I'm guessing it would only have responded to the reset when connected to power, but we'll never know now, unless it happens again, will let you know here when it does....

I wonder how the date/time got to 2028, the batterie was never disconnected.....

As for eletoponline365, either he's off guard during the Chinese new year, or he just assumed I'm a smart guy that for sure must have tried to reset..... well, we know what it must be..... ;-)

Thanks for your input.

The camera seemed to be inactive/shut down when it was unresponsive, I wonder if it would have reset since I could not turn it on...... I'm guessing it would only have responded to the reset when connected to power, but we'll never know now, unless it happens again, will let you know here when it does....

I wonder how the date/time got to 2028, the batterie was never disconnected.....

As for eletoponline365, either he's off guard during the Chinese new year, or he just assumed I'm a smart guy that for sure must have tried to reset..... well, we know what it must be..... ;-)
Yup, it's the year 2028 that has bothered me from the start. Could be a runaway clock - we had that problem with the #11. Only a few cameras had the problem, mine was one of them:(. That was back in late 2010. If I remember correctly it was due to a switch being soldered a wee bit too close to some other component. Maybe there was a breeze while the board was being soldered.

Not all plastics have static dissipative properties, being enclosed in plastic doesn't automatically rule out static related issues

My thinking was that the rubberized plastic on the Mobius would be less likely to transmit static but your are quite right. Certainly, you have much more knowledge and experience with such things.

Though some chips arevsensitive to static electricity, ive yet to distroy one by this method.
Then again, i didn't zap directly any chip yet.

As itncosts nothing, ill drop my theory on the matter - a unique bug caused the software into a loop that had to do something with the date calculation and made it stop responding. Either after x time without fiddling with it (which might of been more theb the standart time due to messed up clock) the camera shut off and became responsive again.

But who knows....

Isn't it more the air humidity (than temperature) being low that increases the risk of static? As an example, where I live we regularly have days over 40 degree C with humidity less than 10%. On cooler days the humidity is higher eg. it's currently 26.1C and 41%.

Isn't it more the air humidity (than temperature) being low that increases the risk of static? As an example, where I live we regularly have days over 40 degree C with humidity less than 10%. On cooler days the humidity is higher eg. it's currently 26.1C and 41%.

Yes, but when the temperature is extremely low the moisture level in the air is likely to be much lower than when the temperatures are higher. This is why static tends to be more of an issue in the winter.

Well guys, I have used the camera again today, no problems, I didn't even use the reset button; only when I came home (after checking the recordings), I just couldn't resist to push that button, and so I did, it was reset, and that was it, no problems either.

If it works fine, why would you need to press the reset button? Why?
You just had to try it out didnt you? And what did you find out? That it doesnt even do anything! Its a fake. There is no button at the end of that hole....

Yes, but when the temperature is extremely low the moisture level in the air is likely to be much lower than when the temperatures are higher. This is why static tends to be more of an issue in the winter.
My point is that all depends on where in the world you live. Where I live the humidity is higher in Winter (average daily temp would be around 15 degrees c), in Summer (ie. at the moment) we're getting some days 40 - 44 degrees C with less than 10% humidity. If you live where it gets below freezing point in Winter I can understand the lack of humidity- but not everyone does.

If it works fine, why would you need to press the reset button? Why?
You just had to try it out didnt you? And what did you find out? That it doesnt even do anything! Its a fake. There is no button at the end of that hole....
Interesting

There does appear to be a button on the pic of an early build Mobius.
Pic #4.jpg

Last edited:
Back