Mobius died..... and resurrected....??? Self healing electronics?!?!

If it works fine, why would you need to press the reset button? Why?
You just had to try it out didnt you? And what did you find out? That it doesnt even do anything! Its a fake. There is no button at the end of that hole....

HUH!

A fake? When my Mobius froze up on me one time, sticking a paper clip in the hole activated the "fake" button and the device reset.

My point is that all depends on where in the world you live. Where I live the humidity is higher in Winter (average daily temp would be around 15 degrees c), in Summer (ie. at the moment) we're getting some days 40 - 44 degrees C with less than 10% humidity. If you live where it gets below freezing point in Winter I can understand the lack of humidity- but not everyone does.

Yes exactly. I was thinking the same thing after our last posts about this. It's been SO cold here in northern New England lately, around -18 c plus or minus.....I wish I was in your part of the world right now! :)

Eh, i was joking...

You know, many people on forums such as this consider "jokes" about false issues the don't actually exist that are designed get a rise out of people in order to provoke a response to be a form of internet "trolling".

TROLLING: "submitting a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting a response."

Last edited:
i didn't expect any replies.
i really didn't think people will give it a second thought. not to mention go and investigate it.
sorry.

Thanks for your answer Necromancer and the apology. I know you had no ill intent.

The DashCamTalk Forum is arguably the most congenial and mutually supportive internet message board I have ever participated in during my twenty years on the internet and it achieves this with very minimal administrative moderation. As this board gains popularity and membership over time I hope that those of us who have been around here for a little while will strive to make newcomers aware that we would like to keep it that way.

Last edited:
First off, I am new to the mobius (and this forum), I got one for Christmas (i picked it out after techmon's review) since my last $38 china dashcam died after a flawless 10 months of service, the memory card slot failed and would not read any card, but it was a cheap cam to see if I liked having a dashcam, and I loved having one. After it failed, I felt weird driving with out recording, so I looked into getting a better one, and the mobius seemed really good, I liked the size and stealthiness of it. I have been using the mobius everyday in my car, I installed it with all the wires hidden, and the cam barely visible from outside, I am the install and forget it type user, but I do glance up to see the flashy red LED to confirm its recording almost daily. The first few weeks I would pop out SD card and watch some recordings, so I am ready for the meteor landing or plane crash to happen in front of me (like the russian videos that inspired me to look into a dashcam over a year ago). So when I had a problem, I found this forum and am SO happy I did, I love the internet for the very existence of forums for my many and diverse interests, there's a forum for everything it seems, and I love the internet for that.

So onto my reason for actually joining this forum, my mobius yesterday morning acted the same way as the original poster, Dirkzelf mobius did (noticed no flashing rear red LED, no reaction from the buttons, no reaction from my PC when plugged into it, checked cable, SD card, all good, only got the green charging LED but nothing else, reset it, nothing, I later figured the battery was toast), and yesterday I took it into my office and basically got no work done as I was reading about cold weather charging of the Li-Po battery (oops, it has been -30 C here in Canada some mornings, and I just start my car and never gave the poor mobius any consideration at all, so it was running and charging at that temp.) SO I sent the ebay seller eletoponline365 a detailed message, and he got back to me this morning with more questions to try and does it do this and that, and does this light flash or not type thing, so I was happy to get real help from the seller, but after reading many post on this forum last night, I had decided the battery needs to be replaced with the supercap option. but I did remember Dirkzelf's post, and I have had it happen with electronics before, just leave it alone for a day, and guess what, today, plugged it in, blue light came on for a few secs, then the green charging, if I take out SD card I get yellow flashing, so this is a big step up from no LED flashing yesterday. So I am letting it charge up and will play with it more later, as I have work to catch up on now.

I do love this camera, and really want it to work for me as a permanent dashcam, so I may still pursue the supercap option (I read the whole supercap thread), since I can order one that will fit and just plug right in from eletoponline365 for $10, and that may make this the perfect camera (or well on it's way to be) for the harsh cold AND hot we get in Ontario Canada.

Thank - You to everyone in this forum for the help and ideas to help me get the most out of this little gem of a gadget.

So to follow up, I just tested my camera (after charging it for 2.5 hours), I was able to record 4 clips, it did not start recording when power was connected like it used to (i had to turn it on, and then hit the record button, then the back red LED started flashing - it made me happy to see it work again :), also my work PC sees a USB device but fails to install it, but my work PC can be a bit dodgy at times, I will try it at home tonight, as my home PC is the one with the software on it and I used it with GUI to set up my camera, so it should work. I did however pop out SD card and use a card reader to view the 4 clips I made just now, and low and behold, they are dated 1/1/2028, like the OP reported. Funny now I think about it, last night I picked up the camera to try it again, and I swear it was warm, after sitting on a wood desk for a few hours. Could it be it was stuck in an un-reset-able loop, and just drained the battery and that's why it is working again today?

I think the OP, you and a few on the RC Forum have discovered something that is or needs to be looked at by the developer. A few on the RC forum have had it not work after not using it a while, so a little different yet similar.
I'm sure with the level of commitment so far on this camera, they will get what is causing it and fix it.

I think the OP, you and a few on the RC Forum have discovered something that is or needs to be looked at by the developer. A few on the RC forum have had it not work after not using it a while, so a little different yet similar.
I'm sure with the level of commitment so far on this camera, they will get what is causing it and fix it.
For a firmware fix the exact steps must be known and repeatable. Without this information it's all but impossible to find out what is not working. I have never had my camera advance to 1/1/2028. Instead of wasting days or weeks trying to find this rare occurrence I would prefer the developer to concentrate on more important matters, for example step 3. However, if someone finds the exact steps to repeat the problem, I'm sure the firmware will be fixed in a jiffy.

For a firmware fix the exact steps must be known and repeatable. Without this information it's all but impossible to find out what is not working. I have never had my camera advance to 1/1/2028. Instead of wasting days or weeks trying to find this rare occurrence I would prefer the developer to concentrate on more important matters, for example step 3. However, if someone finds the exact steps to repeat the problem, I'm sure the firmware will be fixed in a jiffy.
As shown again, attention to situations good and bad are immediate. You deserve a raise or a long vacation :D

For the record, my battery did not die.... The whole thing worked again after leaving it alone for the night. I did use the reset button, but it already worked after one night without the reset.

..... and the supercap is no option for me since sometimes I need it tot work standalone..... I really use this camera almost every day in a big lively/shakey/vibrating 12 wheeler without any problems so I'm very happy with it!!!

Back