Mobius in motion detect mode

Thanks for these tests. Have mine set up with MD as well. Will report back after a week or so of use.

The best MD FW dream for me would be a setting that detected when the car was turned off (no usb power) and then automatically switched to battery power. You would only need to press the power button to turn off the mobius completely when you dont need It on (home in the garage)

I dont know of the hardware or software limitations but, like I said, its a dream of mine.

I agree with Grimm.
I'm using one of my mobius as a permanent dashcam with auto-record on external power (hooked to ignition). It would be awsome if after external power went of it would switch to MD and running from internal battery automaticaly until depleted. Then on the next journey it would intiate a normal recording and battery recharge while ignition is on, and so on.

Meanwhile, from the tests I've made with another unit, this can be achieved manually by just pressing the power button once (to enter standby) after the external power has gone off.
Will try this setup in the dashcam unit and see how it goes during the next weeks.

Still on the note of 'feature requests' and seizing the fact that isoprop is present.
Another simple and usefull add-on I would like to see was the possibility to add a pre-defined text string to the OSD information. Something where you could add info like "Dashcam front"/"Dashcam rear" "Camera #1", "Camera #2" etc.

I agree with Grimm.
I'm using one of my mobius as a permanent dashcam with auto-record on external power (hooked to ignition). It would be awsome if after external power went of it would switch to MD and running from internal battery automaticaly until depleted. Then on the next journey it would intiate a normal recording and battery recharge while ignition is on, and so on.

Meanwhile, from the tests I've made with another unit, this can be achieved manually by just pressing the power button once (to enter standby) after the external power has gone off.
Will try this setup in the dashcam unit and see how it goes during the next weeks.

Still on the note of 'feature requests' and seizing the fact that isoprop is present.
Another simple and usefull add-on I would like to see was the possibility to add a pre-defined text string to the OSD information. Something where you could add info like "Dashcam front"/"Dashcam rear" "Camera #1", "Camera #2" etc.
To tell you the truth, I'm totally allergic to anything that clutters up the OSD screen (if you are referring to TV-Out). I saw so many horrible icons and text in both the #16 and the Mobius pre-release firmware that all I want to see is a clean screen.
If you are referring to text overlayed onto the video I am not aware of any plans to implement this type of functionality. Personally, I don't like ruining original information with an overlay, but I can see it has it's use. In the worst case, the text could obscure vital information. What I do in order to determine what camera was in use is to create a small text file in the card's root directory. I give the file a meaningful name and can even add text to the contents if needed. This method won't obviously work if you regularly format your card, but I don't think it should be too difficult to notice the difference between a camera pointing out of the rear to one pointing in front.
I don't believe that many people need the overlay (be it OSD or video), but obviously a few would like it. If the developer monitors these threads he will have picked up your request, otherwise I am aware of it ;)

Thanks for the quick reply Isoprop. By OSD I was refering to overlaid text on the recorded video, yes. I agree that on the composite video output would want just the picture and leave the OSD to adicional hardware (common in RC use).
As for the overlayed text I imagined it could as part of the overlaid date/time information. Something on the date format string itself and limited to a few chars. The front/rear camera was just an example :)
But imagine having a mobius setup on a fleet of vehicles. It would be nice to know directly in the clips from which car it came from if you would have like the licence place overlaid on it.

But I also agree that there are other features much more important that this.

So far my mobius is fine on MD with 30 sec timeout and standard sensitivity during the day. However at night, when parked it loses a lot of its sensitivity it seems (I am guessing due to lack of light) and picks up passing cars and slowly walking people a bit after they are past center. Cars I can understand but the people are walking slowly and had to get near the center from somewhere...I guess the camera is most sensitive in the center and it diminishes toward the outer edges where, at the edges it doesnt really detect anything. I guess that's contrast/light/colour detection? on a wide-ish lens... I may try high at night but changing from standard during the day and then high at night through the GUI is not really practical.

If mode 1 and 2 had not just a few video differences but saved different configurations for everything if the user so choose, that would solve the day and night dilemma I have and allow for much more customization. Just a thought...Easy to think, a nightmare to implement.

If mode 1 and 2 had not just a few video differences but saved different configurations for everything if the user so choose, that would solve the day and night dilemma I have and allow for much more customization. Just a thought...Easy to think, a nightmare to implement.
Your last 7 words say it all!

I think Tom Frank said some time ago that more separate options will be introduced for the two modes. FW v0.48 introduced configurable FOV and video rotation. Still, it wouldn't be enough for dashcam users if the switch between modes is not automatically. :(
Regarding MD on internal battery I don't think it's feasible as it would drain pretty quickly. Even in standby MD, the camera draws a lot of power.

I think Tom Frank said some time ago that more separate options will be introduced for the two modes. FW v0.48 introduced configurable FOV and video rotation. Still, it wouldn't be enough for dashcam users if the switch between modes is not automatically. :(
Regarding MD on internal battery I don't think it's feasible as it would drain pretty quickly. Even in standby MD, the camera draws a lot of power.
I use the internal battery and have gotten an hour +

For short parking trips the internal power seems fine, for longer an external supply or hard wired solution seems to be required.

The auto switch would be really nice but I'm ok with pushing a button. However, remembering to push the button for the rear view camera may take some getting use to. If its mounted in an inconvenient place then some acrobatics may be required as well. The back headrest is enough acrobatics for me.

UPDATE- Reorder the Anker External battery from Amazon :)
I'll have to explain to the Wife that it is necessary if she wants a long time at the Mall.

UPDATE 2- Canceled order again as its going to take too long. May use camelcamelcamel to wait for a deal..

Last edited:
I was testing MD on high sensitivity. The Mobius was recording an empty room with no movement seen.

Test 2 on Normal and we will see

Is there a post with how much power is drawn when in Standby vs Video 30fps /1080?

So far where I have been parking it seems to make little difference if I was in plain video mode as MD kicks on almost all the time. A minute here and there, longest was 5 minutes of standby. Of course these are highly trafficked parking lots. Mall parking, especially underground so no far away movements of trees and the like (Yes, trees around me move. Sometimes just getting up and running away without so much as a, "By your leave, M'Lord." ...Cellulose bastards!), will give much different results. Can't believe I actually want to go to the mall just to test this...Wife should be happy.

Also, just in case people missed it from another thread:
Another MD related bug that I think is already known...
I noticed that in MD mode when I get back in the car and turn the ignition the camera stops and never goes back on. I have to pull the plug and plug it back in for it to work.

Thanks Horace!

I thought I read it somewhere. Back when I was still a Mobius virgin. The simpler times. Bright outlook. Carefree. I could look danger straight in the eye and spit at the consequences.

You know, five days ago.

Last edited:
I lied. Twice.

Re-ordered Anker External. Coming back to the car to find mobius off is depressing.

Downgraded firmware to 1.13. The video artifacts annoyed me as my eyes kept being drawn to them like moths to a flame (if moths where made of eyes and flames where video artifacts...What a stupid analogy! Wish I could take it back but it's done now.)

Setup the new B lens in front now and A in the back (A will eventually move to a car and out of the SUV as its not wide enough for me).
Still on MD for both cams but HIGH sensitivity because...

During a long traffic stop (congestion due to an accident) the font camera would go to standby when no one on my side was moving (fine) but it didnt go back on when cars on the other side passed. It was right around a small curve but I would have thought it would have picked them up.

Still thinking of giving up on MD and just videoing everything all the time except when I am safe in my bat cave (I know where the guano comes from so no need to video that. If only the bats had parcopresis then it would be a cheap why to keep the bat mobile clean. Poor, poor Alfred...)

@Grimm,

I know this is a slightly old post, but was wondering how you got on with your external battery pack. I suspect I am trying to do the exact same thing as you…..

Drive and record what’s going on in the world, but when I park, let the Mobius act as a watch-dog in case anybody hits my car – it will at least record their details.

I could put the mobius hard wired into my BMW fuse box, but there are reports that the cars software will start complaining about power drain (even if the car is not discharged). But at the same time, I don’t really want to park my car recording the world, as it will record 8 hours of nothing – much better if it just recorded motion in front of my car.

But, the standard mobius battery will only record 1 hour – which gives almost no protection when parked – so was thinking about an external battery. But if I was driving for say 20-30 minutes, would the battery act as a pass through – charge whilst I was driving, whilst still passing through to the mobius, and then continue to power the mobius after the power n the car was cut? And how much power would the 20-30 minute power charge actually give me?

I would be interested to know where you are at with your attempts.

I would be interested to know where you are at with your attempts.
Me too, and exactly what type of Anker External battery did you purchase, and how many mAh does it have?

I saw somebody else was interested in the subject, so I'm starting a new thread with my tests results and some details of the way this feature works.
My configuration was:
- FW v1.13
- Motion Detect: On
- Motion Sensitivity: High
- Motion Timeout: 60s
- Video Data Rate: Standard
- Video Clip Length: 3 Mins.
- Power Off Disconnect: Immediate
I think these are enough for what I'm writing below.

Recording delay is between 1.33 and 2 seconds. The camera was in stand-by and I started my windscreen whipers (single cycle). Their movement started the recording but it didn't show in the video. Starting another whiping I counted that one cycle is 40 frames long (~1.33 seconds). The upper limit (2 seconds) is a guesstimate.

Sensitivity: I parked the car in a mall and noticed the following (see attachment motion detect sensitivity.jpg):
- motion in green area (10 meters, even pedestrians) started the recording
- motion in smaller (red) areas didn't start the recording
- (from another scene) pedestrian in front of the car (on the edge of the picture) will not start recording if he's just moving his head

Continous driving and recording:
I drove for 45 kilometers in daylight and I got 42:18 minutes of continous recording in 14 files with 1 second overlap (see atachment motion detect 42 minutes.jpg). Two of the files were 3:03 long, I don't know why, but I noticed that from time to time in the last FW too (12*3:01 + 2*3:03 = 42:18). I drove for few minutes on a foggy motorway (the only motion was the road paitings and parapets) and I had only one red traffic light for about 70 seconds, but recording was kept alive by other cars passing by.

Recorded files:
The recording will allways last a specified time (Motion Timeout) from the last detection of a motion. Examples (for 60 seconds timeout and 3 minutes clips):
- single file of 2:20 > last motion was detected at 1:20
- two files 3:01 and 0:30 > last motion was detected at 2:30 and until then other motions were detected at least one per 60 seconds

Power off disconnect - for me it seems like a bug, someone reported it also in the RC forum:
- camera is recording and the power is cut: nothing happens (I suppose the camera will remain in motion detect mode until the battery runs out)
- camera is not recording (waiting for movement) and the power is cut: the camera shuts down (according to Power Off Disconnect parameter)

That's it at the moment, hope it clarifies the way it works. I'll keep the configuration for few days to see how it works in city and night driving.
View attachment 3108View attachment 3107

Edit (03.01.2013): The Power Off Disconnect bug was reported to the developer thanks to Isoprop and Tom Frank.
It might be fun to aim it at a birdfeeder. :)

My experience with motion detection ON and firmware 1.13 is totally different. I'll explain, but first I want to describe my setup: Mobius with 3m power cable (from the same seller); Mobuis gets powered with the ignition key in the ACC position, and obviously, the power is cut when the key goes to OFF position. Settings: auto start recording (or whatever its called): external only, MD: on; sensitivity: high, timeout: 60s.

Why am I writing about this now: because at first I thought I didn't even turned motion detection ON - it was working THAT good...and because, when I "upgraded" to 2.10 it sucked big time, so I reverted to 1.13...and because my experience with MD is different that all the others' from this thread. I'll try to explain:

1. When I turn key to ACC position, the camera turns on AND starts recording imidiatelly. Red indicator light is blinking and when I check after drive, there is video saved. I presume it would be recording for 60 seconds, but I drive off before that timeout.
2. It recorded every single second of my around 10 hour drive throughout 3 days (daylight and night driving combined), except a few minutes when I was stationary, entering my satnav data with the key in ACC position, and while there was actually no movement at all. Even the videos that were recorded in these situations (a car passing by, thus triggering MD) were exactly 1:01 long (I'll explain later why is that important).
3. The bast part, and the part that is totally different than anything from this thread - with the power cut, Mobius would record for 10 seconds (option I chose), would close the last file and would TURN OFF. O.O
4. I didn't try it myself, I admit, but there is absolutely no reason that it wouldn't work if started manually, on battery alone, making it a perfect parking camera in MD mode (until the battery is depleted, obviously).

Why is this such a surprise to me: I wanted to try Mobius in MD mode, but I've also read a lot of threads from this (and other) forum. I thought I turned MD on in the settings, but then, when I was driving, I noticed that it recorded all the time, and that it would turn off every single time (with the delay of 10 seconds) when I would turn off the car. At that point I thought I actually forgot to turn MD on since it worked the same way as it did with MD off. Only on the third night, I checked my videos at home, saw a few 1:01 long videos (mentioned above) and that made me check the settings and that is when I saw that MD was ON all the time.

In short: with fw 1.13, and setup+settings I already mentioned, my Mobius turns on and starts recording every single time I turn key to ACC position (and beyond), records everything while there is movement, stops recording when there is no movement for 60 seconds, and turns off COMPLETELY after the key is switched to off position. All that with the ability to be used as parking camera (this has to be turned on manually) on battery, when needed.

Fast forward a few days: there is an "upgrade" - a brand new 2.10 firmware. Beautiful new options, low light setting, great customization, etc. I upgrade my Mobius, and leave crucial settings the same, MD on, auto record on external power, MD timeout 60s, high sensitivity, etc. The result: the camera doesn't correctly detects movements...it sometimes timeouts after 20 sec., sometimes after 35 seconds, and sometimes after 60 seconds as it should, after the last (very noticable, I might add) visible movement. Totally random timeout (or wrong/non-existing movement detection). Sometimes it doesn't even detect (very noticable, I might add) visible movement. I should notice that I've been testing fw 2.10 only in the night. Plus, after powering it on, it needs initial movement to start recording (logical behaviour, I know) but I liked how it imidiatelly started recording with 1.13, as soon as the power was on.

Not realted to MD: with the camera in low light mode, the flickering was all over the place, even when everything is stationary, no movement, no moving lights etc. Not only that, but the video becomes really grainy and really jerky during those moments when scene is "lighted" (in a lack of a better term), while flickering occurs...and while scene is "dimmed", video is normal, not grainy (for a night time recording) and not jerky. You probably already understand that I am back to fw 1.13 and can't be happier. ;)

Back