Mobius requests

Thanks Isoprop :)

Has the developer and "firmware team" ever thought of splitting the FW? One for RC/Action and one for dash cam use? Or would it just be too much work for everyone? I think the user base is smart enough to deal with two different firmwares as you have to have some computer and tinker ability to use the mobius no matter what the application.

A 3rd "Wife/Mom proof" FW would go a long way in selling it as a dash cam. Simpler GUI. No detachable lens ribbon stuff. Stick it and forget it. Just a thought.

This camera could easily have a cult following just like the gopro but for different applications.
Keep up the good work guys.

Glad I decided my first cam to be a mobius. The support and ideas people come up with are great

Thanks Isoprop :)

Has the developer and "firmware team" ever thought of splitting the FW? One for RC/Action and one for dash cam use? Or would it just be too much work for everyone? I think the user base is smart enough to deal with two different firmwares as you have to have some computer and tinker ability to use the mobius no matter what the application.

A 3rd "Wife/Mom proof" FW would go a long way in selling it as a dash cam. Simpler GUI. No detachable lens ribbon stuff. Stick it and forget it. Just a thought.
Maintaining more than one firmware version can quickly become a nightmare and no one will be happy. More bugs, less support, more difficult to test, more time-consuming, and, and and.
A second firmware version should only be necessary if it's not possible to integrate the changes into the current version. For example, MOV / AVI file format or different hardware chips need to be supported.
A typical example of how not to do things is the approach taken by the #18 developer. He made a separate FW version to support auto-power-on on the 18A. This was easier for him to do than adding an additional parameter! Totally ridiculous.

Maintaining more than one firmware version can quickly become a nightmare and no one will be happy. More bugs, less support, more difficult to test, more time-consuming, and, and and.
A second firmware version should only be necessary if it's not possible to integrate the changes into the current version. For example, MOV / AVI file format or different hardware chips need to be supported.
A typical example of how not to do things is the approach taken by the #18 developer. He made a separate FW version to support auto-power-on on the 18A. This was easier for him to do than adding an additional parameter! Totally ridiculous.

Thought as much. Especially the loss of support for us on the fringe...

No not yet.
You guys are ahead of the curve.
When you can buy a Mobius at any
Auto supply or hobby shop like I can with the gopro.
Any sport shop in the city prity much.
Not even thinking of all electronic or camera shop.

I think this camer has the potential to rivle the go pro. $$$ if you play you're cards right.

No not yet.

I think this camer has the potential to rivle the go pro. $$$ if you play you're cards right.

won't happen, the business model is broken by selling it out of China at the price they do, would be three times the price if sold through retail channels so wouldn't enjoy the edge that it does, a commercial decision they made I guess but regardless they've done quite well with it

No not yet.

I'm afraid I disagree. When the GoPro started selling at Walmart like it does now and GoPro advertises during the Super Bowl, it is no longer a product with a "cult" following, it is mainstream.

I'm afraid I disagree. When the GoPro started selling at Walmart like it does now and GoPro advertises during the Super Bowl, it is no longer a product with a "cult" following, it is mainstream.

GoPro sells because they spend a mountain of cash on marketing, it's not the best product for a lot of situations but it's the one people know, for any product to compete in the same space requires big marketing spend and retail/wholesale margins, when the product sells as cheaply as it does to end users from the source a retailer/wholesaler just can't add enough margin to cover their costs without the price growing to a point where nobody would buy from them anyway, if they work on smaller margins then the business case doesn't stack up and it would never get the chance either, catch 22

FWIW, GoPro essentially created the action cam industry. As far as I know, they were the first to market with such a camera.

It reminds me of the iPhone and the first iPad. Everything that has come along after, better or worse has been an imitator yet Apple created the market for touch screen bar phones and tablets.

I think Mobius is missing one thing that GoPro has: Durabilty. I have been reading the RC forums and even Tom Frank has said it wasn't made for tough use.

As I mentioned before, I saw an article on the NY Times that said the footage from the GoPro is more popular than the actual camera. So step 2 for the Mobius domination, would be a lot of incredible footage that makes you want to go out and use one.

So Dashmellow and BobDiaz are right: at the moment we are the cult following and we're growing everyday. Right Rubiconmike, Grimm, b1jackson, schmendrick, Byr0n, speedman and lamboboy732 ?

Does this mean our leader is Isoprop? :p

Last edited:
FWIW, GoPro essentially created the action cam industry. As far as I know, they were the first to market with such a camera.
actually they came along about 4 years after action cameras were already selling

It reminds me of the iPhone and the first iPad. Everything that has come along after, better or worse has been an imitator yet Apple created the market for touch screen bar phones and tablets.

this is a good related example as even though these were nowhere near being the first, they did it better and more importantly, marketed it better, so well in fact that people often don't realise that others were out there doing it before them, much like the GoPro situation

actually they came along about 4 years after action cameras were already selling

this is a good related example as even though these were nowhere near being the first, they did it better and more importantly, marketed it better, so well in fact that people often don't realise that others were out there doing it before them, much like the GoPro situation

What was the first touch screen phone and who released it and who released the first digital action cam?

What was the first touch screen phone and who released it and who released the first digital action cam?

who was first with the action cam I'm not sure but I know even Contour had cameras out a few years prior to GoPro, I don't think they were the first though, I know the factory that got the GoPro business initially (it has only just recently changed) and they were already making the cameras before GoPro came along with their marketing ideas

there were Chinese touch screen phones out prior to the iPhone, I had a dual SIM touch screen model in 2006, more basic touch screens phones were out prior to then

tablet PC's were out well before the iPads, clunky horrible things destined to fail though

Back