Mobius requests

does the Mobius have an AV output though (I haven't looked at one to know)?
ye, it has only video output.

Only problem is that you can not watch live and charge at the same time.
I had idea to conenct mobius via AV to my car headunit and at the same time supply power, but it will not work. Mini-usb port has different pins.

ok well if it has AV out it would possibly be doable, it's clunky to operate this way which is one reason they may have kept away from doing it, they may have removed this option is another if they were out of space and had more important things they wanted to do with the firmware, the Novatek platform is a lot more restricted than some of the competitors as far as what can be done in the firmware

This is what the cable looks like. There is audio out as well as video but I've never attempted to use it.

It would be "clunky" to operate but then again the Mobius was designed for people (us "enthusiasts") who like to tinker. Speaking of clunky, only people like us would tolerate the firmware update procedures, for example.
t9iMrJt.jpg

The Mobius is not a typical "consumer" product and so such a cable really isn't intended for attractiveness. I think the Mobius is finding its way into other uses than RC or dash cams. For example, I have been experimenting with it for wildlife observation as it lends itself to easy concealment and even remote operation. (on - off via long length bus powered USB cable)

The Mobius is not a typical "consumer" product and so such a cable really isn't intended for attractiveness. I think the Mobius is finding its way into other uses than RC or dash cams. For example, I have been experimenting with it for wildlife observation as it lends itself to easy concealment and even remote operation. (on - off via long length bus powered USB cable)

I wanted to apply it in my car for discrete permanent install, hooking up to headunit via AV calbes and if need just press AUX on headunit to see recording status, but then discovered that there is no 2 in 1 option: can not use AV cables at the same time with providing power to mobius, thsi was big disappointment.

I wanted to apply it in my car for discrete permanent install, hooking up to headunit via AV calbes and if need just press AUX on headunit to see recording status, but then discovered that there is no 2 in 1 option: can not use AV cables at the same time with providing power to mobius, thsi was big disappointment.

Yes, I agree completely. I wonder just how hard it might be for this to be implemented by the developer (or by an intrepid modder). The way I see it, the more versatile this camera can be, the more it would translate into sales.

Most likely I don't understand what you want to do, but video-out together with power or auto-power-on certainly work in v0.57. There is no audio though, which I believe is a limitation of the DSP.

Most likely I don't understand what you want to do, but video-out together with power or auto-power-on certainly work in v0.57. There is no audio though, which I believe is a limitation of the DSP.

My english is not perfect. I meant to install in my car, connect via AV cable to car headunit ( satnav ) AUX to watch and check video recording status instesd of looking at led on mobius which is imposdible with my DIY hidden project I had in mind + at the same time can provide power to mobius. It didnt work with earlier firmwares. Will try again with v0.57 when get a chance. Thanks for tip.

You can charge the camera and also have Video Out (and Audio Out just for file playback, not for live audio). Also the auto-start feature must work. Read the Cable paragraph from the Mobius manual.

I would like the USB socket moved from the rear to the side of the camera. This would create more space to install the camera between windscreen & rear view mirror.

I don't think the Mobius will receive the USB connector on the side. The actual position combined with not-angled MiniUSB cable, in real life is making the camera longer by 30mm than its specification values. In reality we need about 95mm of space to fit the Mobius, instead of about 70mm if using a smart angled cable. Also we are expecting the USB cable to go into the front of the camera, where the windshield is, not on the back of it.
The actual MiniUSB connector is half of the Mobius length size, including the angle to curve the cable.

In the next picture you will see my Mobius AV Cable to have at least the cable angled by a lighter heat method.

This picture is about H03. As discussed above, the Mobius cable is not dashcam friendly if the user wants also Video Out.

H03 - Mobius.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
You can charge the camera and also have Video Out (and Audio Out just for file playback, not for live audio). Also the auto-start feature must work. Read the Cable secion from the Mobius manual.

View attachment 2061

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, I know this diagramm. Tested it with provided set of special AV cable and know that can not have live video + constant power to mobius at the same time, thats why I mentioned above. But isoprop replay confused me confirming it is possible v0.57 firmware. I started thinking this is nothing to do so much with firmware, more to do with pins in the mini-usb port. Pins positioning probably designed the way that it is impossible to work for my needs ( live video + power feed at the same time ). Or I am missing something ?

Last edited:
Yes, I know this diagramm. Tested it with provided set of special AV cable and know that can not have live video + constant power to mobius at the same time, thats why I mentioned above. But isoprop replay confused me confirming it is possible v0.57 firmware. I started thinking this is nothing to do so much with firmware, more to do with pins in the mini-usb port. Pins positioning probably designed the way that it is impossible to work for my needs ( live video + power feed at the same time ). Or I am missing something ?
I always make my own cables so I don't use the harness. I made a special Y cable for testing all these sorts of things. One cable is power, the other is video-out. The two cables come out of the mini USB plug, so it's very tidy and rigid.
I can assure you that using video-out with external power works perfectly with v0.57. All you need to do is connect pin #4 and #5 together. That is your common ground for both cables. One wire (+5V) in the power cable is connected to pin #1, the other wire is connected to the common ground. One wire (Signal) in the video-out cable is connected to pin #2, the other wire is connected to the common ground. Although I haven't tried it, I'm sure the harness will also work.
You can also use auto-power-on-connect to start the video recording and enable video-out. Works perfectly!

Last edited:
I always make my own cables so I don't use the harness. I made a special Y cable for testing all these sorts of things. One cable is power, the other is video-out. The two cables come out of the mini USB plug, so it's very tidy and rigid.
I can assure you that using video-out with external power works perfectly with v0.57. All you need to do is connect pin #4 and #5 together. That is your common ground for both cables. One wire (+5V) in the power cable is connected to pin #1, the other wire is connected to the common ground. One wire (Signal) in the video-out cable is connected to pin #2, the other wire is connected to the common ground. Although I haven't tried it, I'm sure the harness will also work.
You can also use auto-power-on-connect to start the video recording and enable video-out. Works perfectly!

So it is all about pins as I assumed. Yes, i can do some DIY when getca chance when now knowing what pins need to be used for correct cable. Hope it will work as you mentioned you didnt try thdm yet, but in theory should work.
Of course for buyer this solution is the hard way. I guess when no diy experience customer buys so called "special mobius av cable" - he expects no more DIY need to be done. Hope mobius developers can produce such a ready made cable, even if it would cost 3-5 usd more. Buyer prefer ready made product rather then messing around himself.

Been waiting on an up angle 90 degree cable for almost a month now...

There are 90 degree miniUSB cables available. That should help.

I am using L-shape plug, but I must say it still adding about 1cm to the whole lenhgt of mobius. All depends on the space ( lenght ) between rearview mirror and windshield and place you want to install mobius. Different cars, different options.

I have made DIY magnetic bracket for Mobius, will post full step by step project soon. Just want to show how it looks installed behind rerview mirror. In my car there is a limited space between mirror and windshield so even using L-shape plug I struggled to mount into the place I wanted ( as close to the mirror bracked and as up as can for discrete look ). I succeeded but had to do some extra DIY to the L-shape plug.

Mobius in car.jpg

Mobius in car 2.jpg

Good pictures because of rain. I can see the wipers cleaned area and propose better positions.
Mobius in car position OK.jpg
It is not important to hide a camera from your eyes but from stranger eyes. I saw this at most of the forum users. Also in the red position you can see the LED if you want.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back