Mobius rival -Stylish INNOVV™ C1 from #808 family. 1080p 30fps WDR G-sensor action- dash camera

If clothing- footware outlet is THE place for most women to spend their quality time there, then Huaqiangbei would be A Paradise for gadget-geeks :). Never been there, only heard and read stories.

I've taken photos of a few things of interest there, you'd love it I'm sure, have taken one forum member from here there when he visited China recently and he'd never seen anything like it, products are basically grouped in categories, you can visit buildings that are multi level floors of each category, buildings full of mobile phones, buildings full of accessories, etc etc, there's even a 4 story building here where 3 floors are predominantly dash cameras, you see a lot of the eBay, Aliexpress type vendors there, the entire area is full of that

I've taken photos of a few things of interest there, you'd love it I'm sure, have taken one forum member from here there when he visited China recently and he'd never seen anything like it, products are basically grouped in categories, you can visit buildings that are multi level floors of each category, buildings full of mobile phones, buildings full of accessories, etc etc, there's even a 4 story building here where 3 floors are predominantly dash cameras, you see a lot of the eBay, Aliexpress type vendors there, the entire area is full of that

I guess I need to start saving money few years upfront to cover my spending expences when I get to that gadget-geeks paradise. And maybe book sea container for all gadgets I might buy from there.
That place is very tempting, but I have to live in real world: " no money, - no honey " :)

Last edited:
OK, I understand that regarding the design the job is done, but I think we can ask some things at least regarding the cables or the mount:
a.) longer USB charger cable
b.) 90 degrees angled USB charger cable
c.) smallest windshield mount (even a radar detector mount style which is perfect for this camera type)
d.) "Mount & Connect" mount (Active mount) (Powered mount)

Regarding firmware we can have hopes for some GUI setting tool to help us customize the camera.
I made a topic about Mobius requests which can be valid also for Innovv but I saw for C1 I hadn't any feedback on my latest idea called G-Sensor Mode which make the difference between Innovv and Mobius.

enjoy,
Mtz
I must admit that it does impress me that they are reading these posts. Something that the old team apparently never did. If they take users requests seriously and the firmware is designed as good as the case, then the C1 could, in a few months, indeed be competition to the Mobius for those who prefer the snazzy design or require a G-Sensor.
I hope they have used a 5-pin USB connector and not that awful non-standard 8-pin variant which so many people dislike. If they have chosen the 5-pin connector there will be no problem with 90° USB cables since the plugs are readily available. Otherwise there WILL be a problem and people will be forced to buy the cable from one of the C1 sellers - assuming they can make or source a 90° plug.
Dashcam users want long cables, RC users want short cables. I always make my own cables, so I don't care :). However, I do care about the connector. Given the choice, I will never buy a device which has a non-standard USB connector.

Yes, they do read forum and its a good sign for end customer, because only by listening to what people need / say, - manufacturer can produce right product which has demand from end customer, ( for example like jokiin does ).

Below is photo of ready sample unit.

Innovv (3).JPG

Yes, they do read forum and its a good sign for end customer, because only by listening to what people need / say, - manufacturer can produce right product which has demand from end customer, ( for example like jokiin does ).

Below is photo of ready sample unit.

View attachment 1975
I wish i could sample one of those ;)
I am currently without a cam for use on my small RC 4x4 cars

STA70031_big_thumb.JPG

You can use a cheaper, smaller, 720p 808 #18 or 808 #16 for that. It is under $40 on ebay sold by official sellers.

manufacturer can produce right product which has demand from end customer,
Demand without feedback is nothing. Great ideas lost in usual and offtopic posts. If not feedback for a demand, a manufacturer will understand there is no interest for that.

enjoy,
Mtz

I wish them luck in their effort. As a potential buyer, the Mobius has a really solid following and a lot of support. In order to beat Mobius they have to offer something better in terms of function and the people who get the unit will have to have a good experience with the unit.

I wish them luck in their effort. As a potential buyer, the Mobius has a really solid following and a lot of support. In order to beat Mobius they have to offer something better in terms of function and the people who get the unit will have to have a good experience with the unit.

I am not sure if Innovv at the beginning stage ( as it is now ) will beat Mobius by functions ( maybe ionly by G-Sensor and 180 degree auto-flip), but most important if it will record better video footage ( especially at night ). For regular everyday user no need tons of fancy functions, - most important is video quality. Yes, I agree, those extras like Mobius has ( Android Viewer etc,. - I like them ), - but I am personally can live without them, like many others. On the other hand for some users ( like RC gourps people ), some features that Mobius has are essential. So each individual person ( or consumer group ) will decide in which product favour to go depending on what they exactly need. Of course no.1 thing in which Innovv has to beat Mobius in order to stay competitive, - is video quality. So, lets just wait and see what it brings and then can move on from there.

Usually the RC people are skillful because many of them are building, modding and repairing their stuff. A camera to always modify something on it (even software) is on the way most of them like it. But what will they say if the image will automatically rotate when they are flying upside down? I don't know if the rotation is possible "on the fly", is just a supposition.
But I will tell you one thing from my experience: I have 808 #16, 808 #18, 808 #26, Mobius (and other). Even I was playing with all of them I think after 6 months of not using them I forgot for example what is the color LED for some mode. I always need to read the manual, use the PC to make a setting. At 808 #18 is even worse because pressing the Mode button is not changing the LED color and actually I don't know in what mode I am. To be sure I am in (normal) Mode 1 I must restart the camera.
But as a dashcam user I don't need to make that settings too often because I like the dashcams style "set and forget". But again, as a curious gadget user, I have more to work with cameras without display like the ones from this post and the Innovv.
In time, people will have the same feelings like me if playing with many cameras, trying to remember what to set.

Now back to Innovv, in the world of no display (action) cameras it is adding something new, like "button setting". No PC needed, no manual to read (I hope the buttons marks will remember me after 6 months for what setting is every position) and simple to set. As niko said, if it will bring the quality (for the price paid) and reliability, the other things about it are not so important. Is very possible when launched the Innovv to beat Mobius because I consider now the Mobius to be poor at night recording at least as a dashcam. But knowing the Mobius possibilities in software developing is possible to beat Innovv in the future at night quality. But both of them should result with no differences for normal users. For what I see in the pictures I have the feeling that the Mobius lens are better than Innovv, but this is only a supposition until I will have both cameras.
The G-Sensor and automatic image rotation of C1 are a plus from the start, and after buying, the "button setting" style will make more comfortable the C1 owners.
The biggest enemy for now of the Innovv is the price even if not comparing to Mobius, because in the real world not many people know the story behind the 808 developers. Having more hardware than Mobius is expected to cost more. But will pay the informed users $30 more? Will pay the normal users, when will see the Innovv in some pictures, $100?

Innovv C1 engineering samples.JPG

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I am not sure if Innovv at the beginning stage ( as it is now ) will beat Mobius by functions ( maybe ionly by G-Sensor and 180 degree auto-flip), but most important if it will record better video footage ( especially at night ). For regular everyday user no need tons of fancy functions, - most important is video quality. Yes, I agree, those extras like Mobius has ( Android Viewer etc,. - I like them ), - but I am personally can live without them, like many others. On the other hand for some users ( like RC gourps people ), some features that Mobius has are essential. So each individual person ( or consumer group ) will decide in which product favour to go depending on what they exactly need. Of course no.1 thing in which Innovv has to beat Mobius in order to stay competitive, - is video quality. So, lets just wait and see what it brings and then can move on from there.
Yes, the video quality is the most important aspect. This is also the strongest point in favor of the Mobius. The Mobius developer only wants the absolute highest video quality possible. That is the reason he chose the lenses he has chosen, after evaluating many, many others. I don't know if the lens used in the C1 is of such high quality - that remains to be seen - but given the size of the cameras and the DSP used, I personally don't think it's possible to beat the Mobius in terms of video quality recorded.
The color settings in the Mobius' firmware are only in BETA, and still have a long way to go. As such, I can imagine the C1 could initially be better tweaked for low-light conditions, but the daylight video will most likely suffer by doing so. Maybe this is OK for dashcam use, I don't know.
I agree with you that a lot of people just want to use a camera out-of-the box. However, many people also want to have some degree of control over the firmware. The Mobius setup program is downloaded about 700 times per day, so there must be a reason that people download it ;). I don't think the C1 will be successful if there's no possibility to manually configure the camera, and I'm sure Innovv know this and won't leave out this important feature - at least in the long run. The C1 has an additional switch for loop video, but there are other important parameters like settings for different lighting conditions, white balance, time-lapse and AOV - just to name a few.
Setting the parameters is something people have been screaming about since the #3 era. A text file is flexible and a far better solution than the quick-and-dirty GUI used for the #26.

The biggest enemy for now of the Innovv is the price even if not comparing to Mobius, because in the real world not many people know the story behind the 808 developers. Having more hardware than Mobius is expected to cost more. But will pay the informed users $30 more? Will pay the normal users, when will see the Innovv in some pictures, $100?
enjoy,
Mtz
Agreed. The additional hardware adds up to max. $2 for the manufacturer!!!
And, if they use an inferior lens (like you, I also suspect this) there is absolutely no reason for the high price - but that may change.....

Auto rotate only works before recording starts not on the fly, still a big advantage anyway for an RC user, likewise I think the g sensor could be attractive to RC users also

G-Sensor will be not attractive for RC users if used only for parking mode.

Any idea of how many Mobius cams have been sold Worldwide?
The ebay feature is reporting about 4500pcs just for the seller eletoponline. There are more selling sources for Mobius, but this is the most important. I think.
The additional hardware adds up to max. $2 for the manufacturer!!!
I think jokiin can confirm or not this. But I expect to not be true that value because is not only about the cost of that components (G-Sensor, LED, buttons) but also the implementation on the PCB. The Mobius developer knows about the G-Sensor demanding from many time ago (discussions about auto-start feature to be implemented using the G-Sensor command), before Mobius idea, but made the decision to not implement it. Even that will could help him more than he thinks. If it was just $1-$2 I don't see any reason to not put it in the Mobius because I expect no firmware problems created by some additional component for the Mobius developer.
People like us will never discuss about the LED Light because it will be not used in our plans, but that LED will be a selling point even a small one. When I bought for the first time the 808 the reason was to use it as a HD camera (even just 720p) in the most possible situations and I will wrote them:
- dashcam
- as normal camera (spy or not, this is not important, but is comfortable to know I have the tool to make a secret recording if I will ever need)
- my great idea about Hat-Cam. The only cam I ever had which was recording without keeping it in my hands. I always have that hat in my car. Even the camera is mounted in the car as a dashcam I can take it out and use it as a normal camera under my hat. No effort from me to record something.
Somebody made this recording with a Hat-Cam and you will understand the advantage to have free hands.
- RC flying cam
But the Innovv is adding one more feature:
- night recording. Even I am sure that LED light will not help very much, at least it will bring some light to close objects or human faces. And some potential buyers.

With a normal dashcam I can use just one feature. These small cameras can offer to me all features and this is the reason why I want to keep them with batteries.
And the biggest advantage for me was always the small size which can keep the camera hidden as possible. This was the first reason when I bought my first 808. I was searching for the smallest dashcam. And I ended not buying a dashcam, but more than that.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Any idea of how many Mobius cams have been sold Worldwide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I don't know, but even if I did it would be confidential ;).
Sorry :)

The ebay feature is reporting about 4500pcs just for the seller eletoponline. There are more selling sources for Mobius, but this is the most important. I think.

Some time ago, SpyTec said they'd sold 1,000 & JooVuu said they'd sold 400. Sales by other authorised sellers aren't known, however, I'd guesstimate total sales at around 7,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Possibly only a few dollars between them by BOM list, no way of knowing their development and tooling costs though which could vary widely, not everyone has the same resources

G sensor data could be very interesting to the hobby user I would think, not just dashcam users

If i was into RC flying ( witch im not ) i would not use auto rotate, that would make my loops and immelmans look wierd, and i would like my recordings to tell that yes i did that pass over the landing strip upside Down 0.5 M off the ground.

The feature is however valid and usefull as it is not allways possible to Mount the cam to somthing the right side up, personally i could use it mounted upside Down on the inside roof of my RC car to give a drivers view of my scale offroading. ( no need to flip the video in post production = time saved )

I am expecting the C1 to have better video than the mobius, otherwise i can not justefy the prize difference to myself.

Auto rotate only applies before you start a recording, once recording starts its fixed in the same position

Benefit is if you're out in the field you can use the cameras in different scenarios without the need to reconfigure

Back