Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Was it reliable in the other car?
It would only fail to start if I didn't push the clutch and turned the key without starting then had to turn the off then on again. Now I'm not sure what is going on.

I've seen posts about ignition-related problems for the G1W, GS900, Mini 0801, Panorama II/S, etc.

One person with 2 Panorama cams had no problems in his VW, but both cams misbehaved in his Toyota.

In your case, you could try different firmware, e.g. If using v1.20 then try v1.17, v1.13, v0.59, etc.

If no luck, you could try a delay timer...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360795585537
Alternatively, you could get into the habit of plugging the USB cable into the power socket adapter after each engine start. Inconvenient, but no more so then fastening the seat belt or turning the ignition key? Not forgetting that what doesn't bother one person can drive another to distraction!

You could try a different brand of camera, but there's no guarantee it will automatically start recording every time you turn the ignition key. The upcoming GuardTrak GT2S may be an exception, as I recall the spec includes an inbuilt variable delay timer. You may have to wait a couple of months for one, & I don't recall the expected price but, say, $200?

Last edited:
...... @Isoprop is this problem on the short list of soon to be fixed things? What could i check to fix it? I am going from off straight to start, not waiting at ACC. I am starting to not trust my Mobius, right as I was about to buy another.
Yes, it's on the list of things to be fixed. I've sent you a PM with more details.

Yes, it's on the list of things to be fixed. I've sent you a PM with more details.
tHE Many other persons have the same problem would also like this PM information please. Many have reported these to you before on forum. Please share.

Thanks Isoprop, good to hear its being looked at and worked on. I would have thought my car would be problem free as opposed to my wife's car with manual transmission. I will try to pay more attention to my starting habits to ensure its not user error.

Hi, all!

I purchased a Mobius for use as a race car cam and a dash cam. I would like it to power-on auto-record, and have set it to do that with the settings.
9bkotGL.png

Unfortunately, when I plug the camera, which is turned off, into a generic 12vdc to USB adapter using the supplied usb cable, I get only a solid yellow light. If I press the record button the light remains solid yellow. I have tried a different usb cable with the same results.

Am I missing something?

The supplied USB cable is for data/computer use only. If connected, you would get solid yellow because the Mobius thinks it's connected to a computer.

Here's the correct pin setup. You could just tape over the center pins temporarily
image.jpg

Ha! I saw that image on page one and considered usign some tape on pins 2 and 3. But, then I thought, "why would there be current on data lines in this scenario?" I don't know much about electronics. Let me try a few different cables and/or tape.

Thanks!

Tape resolved the issue. Very cool. Thank you for the suspiciously prompt assistance! :)
Note to self: only answer future posts/questions from sdsusnowboards after at least 24 hours has passed to avoid suspicion. ;)

With the Camera oriented Up(heat sinks up) which side is the Mini-B connector on, left or right side?

I am going from off straight to start, not waiting at ACC
You probably should wait until the onboard computer initializes and checks all the sensors before starting the car.

@Isoprop I'm also having the same issue. Here's what I think is the cause of the issue, just in case the extra info helps your solution. On my car ignition there are 3 positions - the first turns on accessory power, the second turns on dashboard check lights etc and the third to start the engine. When turning to either 1st or 2nd positions, USB power is detected by the camera and it turns on and starts to record as it should. No problems there. However when the key is turned to start the engine, all accessory power is temporarily removed (12v socket, heater fan, sat nav etc.) I think the camera detects this and enters it's 10 second shutdown delay. During this time power is restored when the ignition is turned back to position 2, but it's like the camera ignores this because it's already in the process of shutting down (think along the lines of a petulant 2 year old with their fingers in their ears shouting "I can't hear you!") You can turn on again manually but you can bet the time I need to do this I'll forget. Set and forget would be a great solution here. You may be aware of all this already but thought it couldn't hurt. Cheers mate.

@Minimhf , take a look on my comment from the third page from topic: Unreliable Ignition On Recording. I have same issue like you, but using some supercapacitors in front of the 12V to 5V circuit, I obtained power for at least 1 minute after each power off. So my solution is a workaround, an electronic solution.

@Isoprop I'm also having the same issue. Here's what I think is the cause of the issue, just in case the extra info helps your solution. On my car ignition there are 3 positions - the first turns on accessory power, the second turns on dashboard check lights etc and the third to start the engine. When turning to either 1st or 2nd positions, USB power is detected by the camera and it turns on and starts to record as it should. No problems there. However when the key is turned to start the engine, all accessory power is temporarily removed (12v socket, heater fan, sat nav etc.) I think the camera detects this and enters it's 10 second shutdown delay. During this time power is restored when the ignition is turned back to position 2, but it's like the camera ignores this because it's already in the process of shutting down (think along the lines of a petulant 2 year old with their fingers in their ears shouting "I can't hear you!") You can turn on again manually but you can bet the time I need to do this I'll forget. Set and forget would be a great solution here. You may be aware of all this already but thought it couldn't hurt. Cheers mate.
Try waiting a second or two longer before starting the engine. There is a dead point approx. 5 seconds from the first time power is applied. The developer is working on a solution, but it's not proving easy to solve.

See the screenshot. All these fixed vertical lines are appearing in the image. Is this a hardware fault?

Attachments

• mobius_fail.jpg
    mobius_fail.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 36
looks like a faulty CMOS sensor, if you've had it apart make sure the CMOS ribbon cable is secured correctly and is not damaged at all

Dang. It's only a few weeks old and I haven't opened it up. But it is getting worse, ie a few lines last week, a few more this week.

ok thanks I'll find and itty-bitty screwdriver and crack it open; see what happens if I re-seat the cable.

Dang. It's only a few weeks old and I haven't opened it up. But it is getting worse, ie a few lines last week, a few more this week.

ok thanks I'll find and itty-bitty screwdriver and crack it open; see what happens if I re-seat the cable.
Check page 1 for instructions and be careful. The ribbon cable is very fragile.

Back