Mobius Thermal Tests

Far to hot for the Englishmen who have given up the search for the Ashes they lost in Western Australia this week.

Well the Mobius appears to have survived 3 days of 40 plus degree temps left in the vehicle and driven in the heat...

Mobius is rated to 47deg C, & the vehicle interior temperature will exceed that when parked with aircon off.

I hope it survives indefinitely, but...

Mobius is rated to 47deg C, & the vehicle interior temperature will exceed that when parked with aircon off.

I hope it survives indefinitely, but...

Yes, that's why I posted what temps mine are exposed to. The hottest day was just over 43 degrees. My vehicle was out driving those days, but not for prolonged periods and garaged when not being driven. My wife's car is parked out in the heat and was driven decent distances those 3 days with the Mobius operating. She's got one (on the rear view mirror) and I've got a front and rear installed in mine.

Time will tell. I've already bought them, so there's no point wrapping them in cotton balls and not using them. ;)

Last edited:
I've just ordered a Mobius to use as a dash-cam. I've been reading up about these heat concerns and the thought struck me that MY camera will be mounted upside down (buttons and heat-sinks at the bottom) behind the rear-view mirror. Now, we all know heat rises, so the heat will get trapped in the casing. It seems to me that some vent holes drilled in the other side of the case and corresponding holes in the mounting jacket would be an idea?

Of course, being in the UK means overheating will rarely be a concern to my usage :)

I'm running mine in a warm environment. Everyday is 25C/75F and we have around 360 days of sun, it rarely rains in the day. My camera rarely gets hot to the touch, except the physical heat sinks which are supposed to. I do keep it out of direct sunlight whenever possible, even shading it when I can't. I may add some vent holes myself.

I, and many as you see, have addressed this concern with Isoprop who works with the developer. He said that holes could help, though the heat concerns are over stated because very few cameras have had problems with heat. Of course protecting it where you can is always a good idea.

The Innovv C1 won't last very long used as a dash cam being the case is made of aluminium, it will get hot left in the sun and the heat will end up inside the case, that's why dash cams are made of plastic, it don't get as hot as aluminium.

I've just ordered a Mobius to use as a dash-cam. I've been reading up about these heat concerns and the thought struck me that MY camera will be mounted upside down (buttons and heat-sinks at the bottom) behind the rear-view mirror. Now, we all know heat rises, so the heat will get trapped in the casing. It seems to me that some vent holes drilled in the other side of the case and corresponding holes in the mounting jacket would be an idea?

Of course, being in the UK means overheating will rarely be a concern to my usage :)

The statement "heat rises" applies to heat in air. As we heat air, the air becomes less dense and the denser cooler air pushes the warmer air upward.

In materials, the hear does NOT rise, it travels in all directions. In some materials it travels faster than others, but the heat energy will try to move from hotter to cooler areas. Gravity does not have any real impact on this result. Thus a Mobius right side up or up side down will warm the same.

As for vent holes, I know of no one testing this, but it seems logical that the extra holes should allow the internal heat to escape.

As for vent holes, I know of no one testing this, but it seems logical that the extra holes should allow the internal heat to escape.
I'm thinking I may have a battery rattle, as noted on the RC Forums, made more noticeable by the extreme lack of smooth roads here. If so I plan to open the case and while open, may place some vent holes. I'm not sure I will notice a difference that is recordable, it may just be mental relief.

[quote="BobDiaz,
As for vent holes, I know of no one testing this, but it seems logical that the extra holes should allow the internal heat to escape.[/quote]

The temperature would have to be lower outside the case for the heat to escape. We need to know what the temperature is inside the case befor making vent holes. No problem with that in the UK, I was using the Mubius as a hand warmer today LOL

34 C yesterday, the same forecast for today and tomorrow. Then 40, 41, 41, 43, and 40 degrees C - a warm week ahead. :(

I'm going to upgrade the firmware on the wife's Mobius so will check out how the video footage is going while it's out of the vehicle. (The red light has been flashing, so I assume all is okay?)

Just to keep Bob's thread alive (and info in a central place):

For the record yesterday was 44.7 degrees C ( 112 F ) with an overnight minimum of 30 C ( 86 F ). A new record temp for the month of February. The Mobius was alive and kicking yesterday morning, I haven't check it today.

That day followed on from four other days over 40 C. The Mobius has been left in the car, which has been mostly parked in the driveway with no shading. The plants in my garden are dying, but the Mobius survives.

(I may have just jinxed myself)

PS: The super capacitor has arrived- but give the issues in the Super Capacitor thread, I'm sticking with the battery.

I read the spec sheet on NT96650..it has configurable compartmental power management ..may be it is the firmware was just in full throttle thus give out more heat.

Just thought I'd drag this old thread up. I'm having issues with one of the three Mobius I own - but it's the one which has lived the "easy life" in a car that's not driven very often and garaged! The Mobius that has lived outside permanently - through 45 degree C summer days in full sun - is still going strong and working perfectly!

More info here: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/symptoms-of-a-dead-dying-battery.6934/

Interesting results given the heat the good battery has lived through. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The below is cut from another thread, but very relevant to this discussion:

Out of interest, I tested the approx 12mth old remaining two good batteries I've got. After fully charging them I ran them on high quality (with audio) in 5 minute clips until they shutdown.

The rear camera (from the vehicle that doesn't get driven much) recorded it's last full video clip at the 90 minute mark - I'm fairly impressed with that. So that's the battery that has lived "a sheltered life" on a vehicle that hasn't been driven much and is normally garaged.

The other battery is the same age but has copped a flogging- being my "guinea pig". It lives in a vehicle that is usually driven daily and always parked outside in the weather - rarely with any shelter from the elements. It gets down to close to 0 degrees C here at night in Winter (now) and it lived in the vehicle through Summer with regular 40 degree C days (peaks of 45) with no shading. It's mounted in the windscreen on the rear view mirror arm (so between the windscreen and mirror.) It should have died a long time ago, but the last full five minute clip was recorded at 60 minutes!

So there you go, out of my three Mobius the first one to die from battery failure was one of the two which rarely get used - fitted in a vehicle that is garaged most of the time. The two forward facing Mobius do have extra heatsinks fitted, but are otherwise standard.

So, here's what happens to a Mobius that cops too much Australian sun. It survived 3 + years in a 4WD/ SUV with a more vertical front windscreen, but swapping to a conventional sedan/ saloon (with a sloping windscreen) was just too much heat for it.

The heat also killed the Sandisk Ultra 64GB micro SDXC card. I've gutted the warped case and fitted the electronics into a new case from Banggood. (The case was supposed to be a direct fit, but the CMOS lens A module was a loose fit, so I cut up the old case's heatsink foam pad and padded the lens out with that.)

I'm still testing it to see if it works- an old 8GB Sandisk Class 4 card isn't working. I'll have to try a known good card from one of my other Mobius'. (It goes through all the correct sequences, but has only managed to record one file on the 8GB card.) I'll update the post with the results of a known good memory card.

Mobius%20banana%201.JPG

Mobius%20banana.JPG

Mobius%20banana%202.JPG

Mobius%20banana3.JPG

Old warped case (check out the insides :eek: ) and the new case with the old electronics inside on the left.

I mount my Mobius on the headrest posts ,rear & front or on Arkon dash mounts [bean bag style].Added advantage ,to mounting on front passenger headrest post is the driver is in view so it will show i am not texting etc. So far my 2 Mobius have survived 2 years in Sydney.

I think I do need to find a more sheltered mounting position before I end up with another dead SD card and a more terminal end to the Mobius. I've just tested a known good 128GB Lexar SDXC card and the electronics did survive inside the melted case!? :):)

I don't think the head rest post position would work for my situation. I'm also only interested in capturing the actions of other drivers (for insurance reasons.)

Back