Mobius

I saw at some dashcam lower FPS for parking mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

Shooting at a low FPS rate is an interesting idea for a car camera. For example, if 1 frame is shot every second, what might fill 1 hour of footage under normal mode, would cover 30 hours at 1 FPS. This avoids the problem of what to capture and what to ignore. Trees blowing in the wind might trigger the system, but if sensitive is lowered, it might not catch a person walking by and doing something.

I also assume that because the camera is doing about 1/30 of the work at 1 FPS, the power consumed from the battery is considerably less.

I would like to congratulate the inventor of the Mobius for producing a fantastic camera that I use in my car.
I only use it at the highest settings and would like to see 1080p@60fps with more storage.
I had a camera that had a high setting of 720p@30fps before and would never use this setting on the mobius.

We're not out of space but it never hurts to have a bit more, we already have a lot more functionality in our cameras than most anyway, I just see 720p as counter productive anyway, I've already stripped a lot of the junk functionality out, just fine tuning a few things now

There will doubtless be customer demand for you to provide all of the junk functionality you've stripped out. People always want features they don't need & will never use, but feel cheated if the features are omitted.

This is really strange, ALL other Mobius video files were 100% compatible on my MAC. Almost all the video programs on my MAC do NOT like this video file. Something has changed in the format of the file that causes the MAC Software to fail and give a "bad format video" error message. I can only find one program that will work with this file. Something is very different with this format.

Is this part of their changes to the software (firmware)???

I used RegistratorViewer to delete the first half of the 3 minute clip, as the contents were irrelevant. It's the first time I've used RegistratorViewer (very impressive freeware), & it claims to 'Export any video fragments without recompression - lossless cutting and joining'.

Playback is smooth on my 5 year old Windows Laptop, & smoother on my iPad. Not sure why you're having a problem. I'm more of a 'stills' man... a video novice.

I'm happy to use other software to edit clips, as long as I don't have to fork out much cash. Any recommendations? Intuitive programs preferred... too lazy to read user guides!

I would like to congratulate the inventor of the Mobius for producing a fantastic camera that I use in my car.
I only use it at the highest settings and would like to see 1080p@60fps with more storage.
I had a camera that had a high setting of 720p@30fps before and would never use this setting on the mobius.
The DSP can't handle 1080p@60fps so that will never be an option.
We're not out of space but it never hurts to have a bit more, we already have a lot more functionality in our cameras than most anyway, I just see 720p as counter productive anyway, I've already stripped a lot of the junk functionality out, just fine tuning a few things now
You would be surprised how many requests there have been for lower resolutions with higher fps. Personally, I don't think this is a good idea because I find any resolution below720p not worth watching. However, if it's easy to implement, it wouldn't surprise me if these lower resolutions would be added one day. Having said that, the 640x480@60fps option was never implemented in an official release of the #16 because the quality was downright awful.

You would be surprised how many requests there have been for lower resolutions with higher fps. Personally, I don't think this is a good idea because I find any resolution below720p not worth watching. However, if it's easy to implement, it wouldn't surprise me if these lower resolutions would be added one day. Having said that, the 640x480@60fps option was never implemented in an official release of the #16 because the quality was downright awful.

I was referring to my car cameras which are Ambarella based, I don't see the need for the other resolutions, I already got rid of the 480p60 and the 1080i30 modes as they were garbage anyway, I'm sure nobody would have been using those modes

for an action camera I could see why some users might want the higher fps resolutions though, different user, different need

This is really strange, ALL other Mobius video files were 100% compatible on my MAC. Almost all the video programs on my MAC do NOT like this video file. Something has changed in the format of the file that causes the MAC Software to fail and give a "bad format video" error message. I can only find one program that will work with this file. Something is very different with this format.

Is this part of their changes to the software (firmware)???

I've uploaded the file again, this time edited in Picasa. Hopefully, it's compatible with your Mac's video programs?

https://mega.co.nz/#!VRUjwaAZ!AkVmgkj-2zM_Bfe2ntxnIDEDoJB0EctlS6Bx0u_ijC8

My brother asked me to make the Mobius 720p settings for 30FPS because he want more video to be recorded on his Card.

Because I know that with 1080p I can record about 4 hours on my SD card, when going to long roads and want to record most of the road I will choose for 720p.
I think a camera with better lens and good software encoder is better at 720p than some poor 1080p camera. Specs are not enough. Unfortunately not all people know what is the best for them.

enjoy,
Mtz

My brother asked me to make the Mobius 720p settings for 30FPS because he want more video to be recorded on his Card.

Because I know that with 1080p I can record about 4 hours on my SD card, when going to long roads and want to record most of the road I will choose for 720p.
I think a camera with better lens and good software encoder is better at 720p than some poor 1080p camera. Specs are not enough. Unfortunately not all people know what is the best for them.

enjoy,
Mtz
Or +8 hours if you use a 64GB card ;).
What you say about the lens is very true. Cheap plastic lenses will make noticeably bad video. Some people may not be aware that the Mobius lens consist of 7 high quality glass elements. The glass elements are precision made in Japan.

For many people even the 32GB card is expensive. Also I would prefer the 16GB price.

Regarding different FPS, I remember the Hyundai R700 have an option called Optimized use of MicroSD Card, but unfortunately this cannot be implemented to Mobius because missing the G-Sensor, but I will present to you this idea maybe the developer can find something useful from it.
The R700 is recording in AVI container and in their manual you can see this:

Substream Function.jpg

Even it is advertised as a FullHD dashcam, to save space we have (if we really want this) normal recording at 640x360p and when an event occurred the resolution is 1920x1080. For sure this will save a lot of space.

Reading also this regarding the R700, if I am a developer I will let the 720p option there. It will not hurt.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mobius Polarising Filter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KjqSf0dxFW4

"We've created our own DIY polarising filter using the lens cap and a pair of 3D glasses for the popular Mobius Action Camera which we're currently testing as a dash camera. You can see the difference with the polarising lens filter applied."

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC06178.JPG
    DSC06178.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC06179.JPG
    DSC06179.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC06181.JPG
    DSC06181.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 12
I used RegistratorViewer to delete the first half of the 3 minute clip, as the contents were irrelevant. It's the first time I've used RegistratorViewer (very impressive freeware), & it claims to 'Export any video fragments without recompression - lossless cutting and joining'.

Playback is smooth on my 5 year old Windows Laptop, & smoother on my iPad. Not sure why you're having a problem. I'm more of a 'stills' man... a video novice.

I'm happy to use other software to edit clips, as long as I don't have to fork out much cash. Any recommendations? Intuitive programs preferred... too lazy to read user guides!

Thanks, I was worried that somehow the firmware in the Mobius was updated creating an incompatible file OR the 12Mbps mode records in a form my Apple MAC doesn't like. The problem for me didn't come from the Mobius, but from RegistratorViewer.

I go to the other end for clips, I use Final Cut to edit my videos. I know that this takes it down a generation, but I'm just used to doing this that way. I've never looked at lossless cutting of video, so I have no suggestions, sorry.

In studying the video, the compression noise is very slight, so even at 12 Mbps, the video from the Mobius is very good.

I suspect the power difference would be minimal if even measurable

I guess it all depends on how the system works. The micros I use at El Camino College allow me to drop the clock speed and/or go into a low power sleep mode when waiting for something. If the controller on the Mobius allowed for that, power use could be reduced, BUT if that option does not exist, it just burns power in a wait loop.

I have a project that waits 2 seconds, checks the status and goes back to sleep if not ready. It has been running for 2 years off the same set of AA Batteries and it's still going strong. CMOS chips use very little power when the clock stops of is running very slow.

Mobius Polarising Filter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KjqSf0dxFW4

"We've created our own DIY polarising filter using the lens cap and a pair of 3D glasses for the popular Mobius Action Camera which we're currently testing as a dash camera. You can see the difference with the polarising lens filter applied."

Thoughts?

There's a clear difference in windshield reflections and overall, the shots are much better with the filter. There is only one downside to the filter . . . a polarizing filter reduces the light by 1.3 F-Stops (only 40% of the light passes through to the camera). If left on for night driving, that's going to really lose a lot of light. Just for fun, try night shots with and without the filter.

Now, I assume that at night, you'd just pop off the filter, but if you forget, It would be interesting to see the difference.

{I got a suggestion to post to this thread vice a separate one, so......}
So my camera arrived last night and I stayed up late playing with it. The suction mount has yet to arrive, so it's haphazard "prop it up" for now. It's got the 0.44 firmware.

But I have a bunch of newbe questions already….

My goal is to have it power up in photo mode, and take a timestamped picture every n seconds.
To that end, I modified the config file and reloaded it. [Clever scheme for doing so, BTW…] Here are relevant sections:

Code:
Video Mode 1 resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 1 Frame Rate=[2];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p), 2:30fps
Video Mode 2 resolution=[1];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 2 Frame Rate=[1];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p),2:30fps

Photo Mode Capture Size=[0];set photo size,0:2304x1536,1:1920x1080,2:1280x720
Set Time Lapse Shooting=[3],0:off,1:0.25s,2:0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:60s

Movie cycle time=[2];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,
Movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0:off,1:on,
Time stamp=[1];set date/time stamp on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie sound=[1];set movie sound,0:mute,1:on,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0:off,1:on,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[0];set movie high dynamic range,0:off,1:on,

Power on=[1];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record=[0];set connect or disconnect with power to start or stop video recording automatically,,0:off,1:on,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0:off,1:on,
Charge from USB Host=[0]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0:on,1:off

Here's what I've found out I don't understand from RTFMing the manual page & watching it work.
  1. Why doesn't it start out with the top-LED as red when I plug in USB power?
  2. Will the shutter button stop and re-start the "...every n" photo function?
  3. What should the top and rear LEDS show while grabbing shots every n seconds? While stopped?
  4. How do I get timestamps in the photos?

Enlightenment welcomed.

I don't think there is a way to auto start the camera into picture mode. It has to be done manually after startup.

Back