Mobius

It is ok to open the case and use the lens extension cable. Just received an ebay message from eletoponline365.
I imagined that you would be OK. Eletoponline365 just replaced a camera for forum member here who put 12v instead of 5v and fried it. I didn't think merely opening the case would exempt you

It is ok to open the case and use the lens extension cable. Just received an ebay message from eletoponline365.

Pleased to hear this! Please let us know your experience with the lens extension. Perhaps you'll also post some photos of your installation.

Hello. At the moment I am just asking around before deciding which camera to buy. If I will buy the Mobius, I will share my experience here.

Mobius Wide Lens FW 1.17 vs G1W

Since I don't have (yet) a Mobius to find it myself, I seek answer here. Let's say I am using the lens extension cable and the lens is in the normal recording position but the camera itself it is 180 degree rotated. Question: the movie will be recorded in normal or upside down? It's all about the lens orientation not the camera's, rigth?

hi everyone.
i bough the G1W camera (just because it has the same CPU as the mobius and has an LCD display).
do you think that the super capacitor kit will fit the G1W camera?
1. will the camera work with these caps?
2. will it fit the camera?
3. can i flash the mobius FW on the G1W camera?

thanks all.

hi everyone.
i bough the G1W camera (just because it has the same CPU as the mobius and has an LCD display).
do you think that the super capacitor kit will fit the G1W camera?
1. will the camera work with these caps?
2. will it fit the camera?
3. can i flash the mobius FW on the G1W camera?

thanks all.

The firmware from the Mobius cannot be flashed to the G1W.

It is possible the super-capacitor available for the Mobius might work for the G1W. It appears that it would fit but you would need to open up the G1W and make some measurements to be certain. The cap may be too fat. The shutdown delay for the G1W might be a problem...among other things. For example, you would have to find out if the cap can run the camera long enough to save the last file. It's worth trying I suppose. The battery for the G1W is soldered to the board while the Mobius super-cap has a plug so you would need to remove that plug and solder the cap wires to the circuit board.

thanks!
there is a G1W with a cap build it.
here is the product:

I’ve not long purchased my Mobius, and I am very happy with it. I have hard wired mine into the car, and hidden the wires. The only visible bit of wire is where it comes out of the headlining by the interior mirror! I have a cheapy dashcam in the rear window which I will swap for another Mobius when I have the cash.

From the outside you can hardly notice the Mobius, and I have found that although there is no screen, it is not that hard to point it in the right direction. Sadly I don’t have a laptop/monitor/Android where I can view the feed from the camera in situ.

All I need to do now is work out how to make my dashboard less shiny so I don’t get that in my footage glaring off the windscreen. I have seen some people harvest the lense off 3D glasses and make a polarizing lense by sticking it over a lense cap with a hole cut in it! Maybe that will be my next project!

Anyway, thanks for having me :)

I’ve not long purchased my Mobius, and I am very happy with it. I have hard wired mine into the car, and hidden the wires. The only visible bit of wire is where it comes out of the headlining by the interior mirror! I have a cheapy dashcam in the rear window which I will swap for another Mobius when I have the cash.

From the outside you can hardly notice the Mobius, and I have found that although there is no screen, it is not that hard to point it in the right direction. Sadly I don’t have a laptop/monitor/Android where I can view the feed from the camera in situ.

All I need to do now is work out how to make my dashboard less shiny so I don’t get that in my footage glaring off the windscreen. I have seen some people harvest the lense off 3D glasses and make a polarizing lense by sticking it over a lense cap with a hole cut in it! Maybe that will be my next project!

Anyway, thanks for having me :)

The problem with the polarized filter is that you have to align it correctly to kill the glare and for that you need to see what the Mobius sees. Changing light, the sun higher or lower, may change the glare on the window and you would have to turn the polarized filter to compensate.

A better way to deal with glare/reflections is to mount the camera as close to the windscreen as possible. Have the camera almost kiss the glass. This will require I homemade bracket that is custom made to the degree of slant of your windscreen. If you really want a project, that should be your next one :)

Hey Grimm. Yeah I've read all about that, which is why I haven't done anything about it ;) hehe

My camera is already pretty much touching the screen, but I know what you mean, and I may experiment with other ways if mounting. Luckily the mobius seems to have a fixed focus (?) so it still has a great picture regardless of glare, whereas my other cheapy camera will auto focus on raindrops on the screen, or the reflection of the vents!

My other thought is to get some sort of Mat for the dash. I'll keep you posted :D

Hey Grimm. Yeah I've read all about that, which is why I haven't done anything about it ;) hehe

My camera is already pretty much touching the screen, but I know what you mean, and I may experiment with other ways if mounting. Luckily the mobius seems to have a fixed focus (?) so it still has a great picture regardless of glare, whereas my other cheapy camera will auto focus on raindrops on the screen, or the reflection of the vents!

My other thought is to get some sort of Mat for the dash. I'll keep you posted :D

Random but has anyone told you, you look like Juan Mata :D

The problem with the polarized filter is that you have to align it correctly to kill the glare and for that you need to see what the Mobius sees. Changing light, the sun higher or lower, may change the glare on the window and you would have to turn the polarized filter to compensate.

A better way to deal with glare/reflections is to mount the camera as close to the windscreen as possible. Have the camera almost kiss the glass. This will require I homemade bracket that is custom made to the degree of slant of your windscreen. If you really want a project, that should be your next one :)

I did a lot of experimenting with polarizers last summer and fall and while they can be useful I found that it wasn't worth all the trouble. As soon as the angle of reflection changes you've got a glare again and I often forgot to remove the filter at night which gave me poor exposures. Without a polarizer I am generally capturing the vital video imagery I need even if the footage isn't quite so attractive to look at. It is rare that a glare prevents me from capturing license plates and other important details.

I may experiment with some filters again but the fact is that most polarized lenses are not made to contend with constantly shifting reflection angles of light. There are some exotic polarized lens designs available that can better handle these conditions but they would cost more than the dash cams we wish to use them on.

Random but has anyone told you, you look like Juan Mata :D

Nope, I have to say you are the first! Does that mean I could pretend to be him and make loads of money?

I did a lot of experimenting with polarizers last summer and fall and while they can be useful I found that it wasn't worth all the trouble. As soon as the angle of reflection changes you've got a glare again and I often forgot to remove the filter at night which gave me poor exposures. Without a polarizer I am generally capturing the vital video imagery I need even if the footage isn't quite so attractive to look at. It is rare that a glare prevents me from capturing license plates and other important details.

I may experiment with some filters again but the fact is that most polarized lenses are not made to contend with constantly shifting reflection angles of light. There are some exotic polarized lens designs available that can better handle these conditions but they would cost more than the dash cams we wish to use them on.

I read about the angles of light, and how lenses may struggle depending on the time of day. It was at that point I thought "meh, maybe the glare isn't so bad" and "maybe I'll just get a non-reflective cover for the dashboard"!

Windshield reflections bothered me long before I got a dashcam, so after a long drive, and before returning home I popped into a dollar store and picked up some non-reflective felt material and placed it on the dashboard. The difference it made was amazing. Once I started using a dashcam I wanted a more 'permanent' solution, and that was a dashboard cover. These things are custom made for your vehicle (year, model, color) and are a perfect fit, and can be removed anytime. Bottom line is no more reflections. Check out 'dashboard covers' 'dash mats' 'car mats, etc.' and see what's out there.

Last edited:
Nope, I have to say you are the first! Does that mean I could pretend to be him and make loads of money?

If you can kick a ball then yes :)

Windshield reflections bothered me long before I got a dashcam, so after a long drive, and before returning home I popped into a dollar store and picked up some non-reflective felt material and placed it on the dashboard. The difference it made was amazing. Once I started using a dashcam I wanted a more 'permanent' solution, and that was a dashboard cover. These things are custom made for your vehicle (year, model, color) and are a perfect fit, and can be removed anytime. Bottom line is no more reflections. Check out 'dashboard covers' 'dash mats' 'car mats, etc.' and see what's out there.

Something else to buy for the car :)

Back