New thread on polarizer filter for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

exhaustnote said:
JazJon said:
exhaustnote said:
Well I didn't have time to reprint the part but it didn't matter as this one works perfectly!

Looks great!

Thanks! Yours is looking good too!

So I just confirmed that there is no vignetting! Please note that I have a DR550 so my fov is lower that the 500. I can't guarantee that the 500 won't have vignetting, we'll just have to wait for Erewhon to fit his on and see. Unfortunately it's dark right now so I can't really test the actual lens itself but I'll do so tomorrow and post some video.

Now time to spray this with a little plastidip...

I love PlastiDip!
So yeah as we said in PM a week ago, we'll have to meet up for a show and tell sometime since we're both in the San Francisco.
It's cool you have access to a 3D printer! (we MUST become friends) ;-)
Now that my new firmware records 17Mbps, we should drive the same exact route and compare videos. Let's do the golden gate marin headlands tailing each other to ensure all lighting is exactly the same. The only reason I didn't buy the BlackView was the low Bitrate vs Cost just to get WiFi.

Definitely! I'd love to see your camera, it looks really nice for the price. I'm definitely disappointed in the video quality of the 550 and am anxiously awaiting the custom firmware. I can't wait to up the bitrate and hopefully eliminate the blockiness. The camera seems to function really poorly when there are lots of trees...and unfortunately since I work in the Presidio, my whole commute is pretty much all trees. =(

I just made a video to test out the filter. The filter is really nice...it's impressive how much reflection it cuts out.
Anyways, please don't mind my messy garage. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool demo sticking on that bright white paper to show the effectiveness!

Excellent demo! I plan to record something with mine tomorrow. (to show how it cuts both dashboard reflection AND sun glare + popping cloud details etc)

Are you both going to use the custom BlackView firmware to get a higher bitrate? I really want a WiFi camera with iOS app but not feeling like my $300 would be well spent on blackview products even with custom firmware.

I have my eye out on this thing.
"NEW Product out now! VICO-WF1, WIFI!!" (see latest demo videos, outstanding high bitrate WDR quality)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1474
http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=18&lang=en
(160 degree lens is overkill though!)

I'm sure something great will come out soon that delivers everything we want.
The good thing about our 36mm MagFilter is we can create a new 3D Printed base for what ever DashCam we upgrade to in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
soholife said:
Hello. Can provide the 3D model?
Thank you.
I521.net@gmail.com

I'll send you the STL files later today. I made a slight change from the part that exhaustnote printed and tested, and my own part which I tested last night. The old design works fine, but I thought I'd tweek things a bit. It's an excuse to learn more about 3D design and printing! :D

Pick whichever design you want to print, and let us know how it works. I'm placing a print order today for the new design.

The old design (blackvue-newdesignB-step5.stl) is on the left and the new design (blackvue-newdesignD-step5.stl) is on the right. I noticed that the CarrySpeed adhesive backed adapter ring can move a bit when attaching it to the 3D part, so I enlarged the indicated diameter to guide the ring exactly where I want. The enlarged diameter might make it slightly more difficult to place the CPL filter when you are routinely attaching it to the BlackVue, so I rounded the indicated edges to provide a bit of a guide to the filter. Lastly, I noticed that the 3D part projected slightly above the BlackVue lens barrel, so I shortened it a bit.
design-comparison_zpsaa482a0a.jpg

I've had about 8 parts of varying design printed, all with a specified inner diameter of 20.5 mm. The actual diameters have been about 20.25 mm, so you will probably need to sand for a custom fit around the BlackVue lens barrel. 100 and 220 grit sandpaper is good. Sanding suggestions are elsewhere in this thread. Use of digital calipers and frequent trial fits are recommended.

Hobby level printers using heated extruded plastic seem to work OK, but leave a slightly rough surface. UV/resin parts have a very nice surface. I'm awaiting a part from a commercial printer that uses plastic sintering.

Thanks for all your help on the various posts in this thread.

I have made my two current designs available at Sculpteo (http://www.sculpteo.com/en/)

On the webpage, select "Stores" at the top, and then enter "blackvue" in the search window at the right. You will see these designs:
scuplteo_zps36baeeef.jpg

I ordered both in black plastic (dye, not paint or black starter material) for $9.55. Neither part has arrived, so I cannot say much more. I and exhaustnote have both tested the design on the right, printed elsewhere, and it seems to work fine. I think the design on the left is slightly better but have not yet had a printed part to test.

I get no royalty, so I am not trying to make any money here! :cool:

You get to pick the material used, color, etc. You can get it in highly polished sterling silver for the low, low price of $233.37, shipping extra.

erewhon said:
I ordered both in black plastic (dye, not paint or black starter material) for $9.55. Neither part has arrived, so I cannot say much more. I and exhaustnote have both tested the design on the right, printed elsewhere, and it seems to work fine. I think the design on the left is slightly better but have not yet had a printed part to test.

I get no royalty, so I am not trying to make any money here! :cool:

You get to pick the material used, color, etc. You can get it in highly polished sterling silver for the low, low price of $233.37, shipping extra.

It's probably best to print in plastic anyway so the magnetic lens only sticks to the metal ring. (or else it would be pulled all around wonky fit with all that metal)

LaserGnomes will be reprinting mine in black ABS (more toxic, but heat resistant) He only has ABS in Orange currently but ordered more Black ABS. The first one he printed in black was out of some rough grain looking biodegradable material. (it already warped in the sun/heat)

JazJon said:
It's probably best to print in plastic anyway so the magnetic lens only sticks to the metal ring. (or else it would be pulled all around wonky fit with all that metal)

LaserGnomes will be reprinting mine in black ABS (more toxic, but heat resistant) He only has ABS in Orange currently but ordered more Black ABS. The first one he printed in black was out of some rough grain looking biodegradable material. (it already warped in the sun/heat)

Actually, fabricating the part out of aluminum would have worked. Aluminum is non-magnetic and would not have interfered with the MagFilter at all. I found, however, that the latest design for the dinky little part rendered in aluminum would have cost around $300 for tolerances no better than what I have been getting with the 3D printed plastic parts. The traditional subtractive machining process on aluminum apparently needs a lot of human interaction. Also, the aluminum would not have been as easy as plastic to custom fit using sandpaper. So, clearly, plastic of some sort is still the way to go.

JazJon - do you know the software used by LaserGnomes to design your part? I'm still looking for tools to put into my toolbox!

erewhon said:
JazJon - do you know the software used by LaserGnomes to design your part? I'm still looking for tools to put into my toolbox!

He Mentioned using TinkerCad but not sure that's what he actually used. I'll ask him! (I'd like to learn too)

The first one he printed in black was out of some rough grain looking biodegradable material. (it already warped in the sun/heat)

That would have been PLA, it's softer than ABS, not sure how ABS will hold up though, straight ABS is not that resilient to heat, particularly if it's thin

Great series of photos!

Did you print the part yourself? What material did you use?

It looks like (last photo) that you still have the protective plastic film on the BlackVue.

I'm still awaiting my copy of the part that is like your photos. I ordered both of the designs below from Sculpteo and am still waiting for both of them to arrive:

The left one is coming slow mail without tracking (less expensive) and was further delayed to apply the black dye finish. I assumed that it would come from the Sculpteo office in San Francisco, but when I ordered the design on the right with tracking (and black dye), I found that the part ships from Tolouse, France. I should get it on Sep 20.

I had one vendor for the left design paint the part, and the paint job was terrible. Spray painting the part yourself (if you want a color) with a plastic compatible paint would work far better. There are photos of my DIY paint job in an earlier post. It looks quite nice.

Great series of photos!

Did you print the part yourself? What material did you use?

It looks like (last photo) that you still have the protective plastic film on the BlackVue.

I'm still awaiting my copy of the part that is like your photos. I ordered both of the designs below from Sculpteo and am still waiting for both of them to arrive:

The left one is coming slow mail without tracking (less expensive) and was further delayed to apply the black dye finish. I assumed that it would come from the Sculpteo office in San Francisco, but when I ordered the design on the right with tracking (and black dye), I found that the part ships from Tolouse, France. I should get it on Sep 20.

I had one vendor for the left design paint the part, and the paint job was terrible. Spray painting the part yourself (if you want a color) with a plastic compatible paint would work far better. There are photos of my DIY paint job in an earlier post. It looks quite nice.

Your work is looking very promising and I like your solution, I went out and ordered the Mag-Filter, got mine from Ebay @£29 it’s arrived today and hope you do do a group buy on the adapter you’re designing as it looks as it was made for the camera and do the job, looks very well designed too

Your work is looking very promising and I like your solution, I went out and ordered the Mag-Filter, got mine from Ebay @£29 it’s arrived today and hope you do do a group buy on the adapter you’re designing as it looks as it was made for the camera and do the job, looks very well designed too
Hi mollydog,

No need to bother with a group order. You can get the part directly from Sculpteo or Shapeways. I'm not charging anything for the part - you pay the same amount that I pay to Sculpteo or Shapeways. Previous posts talk about the minor custom fitting to be done using sandpaper and (if you are fussy like me) a digital caliper. I've fitted 4 parts, and it is quite easy if you are careful. The custom part and the MagFilter remain solidly fixed to the BlackVue.

***​

For Sculpteo, go to http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/blackvue-dr500gw-hd-adapter-3/wEsr2DZo?uuid=0NSlidszJIs0rXJadw1CWf#tab=

I suggest you choose the material "plastics" or "detail resin" with the natural finish, or black dye. The plastic finish is a bit rough, like medium/fine sandpaper. The resin material is smoother. The black dye option saves you having to buy a can of plastic compatible spray paint, if you want a black finish. The plastic part is done by sintering a fine plastic powder. The resin part is done by laser hardening of a liquid resin.

My Sculpteo parts shipped from France. Base price for the natural finish plastic (for me) was $8.10, plus shipping.

***​

For Shapeways, go to https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ErewhonGadgets
and click on the product description below the picture.

I've picked only the "White Strong & Flexible" plastic, which was a bit smoother than the Sculpteo plastic, and comparable in finish to the Sculpteo resin. The Shapeways plastic is sintered plastic powder.

My Shapeways part shipped from Queens, New York. Base price for the natural plastic (for me) was $4.36 plus shipping.

At Shapeways, there is a "Download Model" button and you can download the STL file for the part and print it yourself on your own 3D printer.

***​

Sculpteo seems to get the product shipped a bit faster. Neither Sculpteo nor Shapeways seem to offer PLA plastic, which is good since PLA does not hold up well in the heat found in closed parked cars.

Last edited:
Hi erewhon

above all thank you for your great work ;)
I have order in Sculpteo the new design (blackvue-newdesignD-step5.stl) in black and i have order MagFilter 36mm.

In my cars is very very perfect.

IMG_8288.JPG

IMG_8291.JPG

IMG_8292.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8297.JPG

IMG_8303.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

IMG_8319.PNG

IMG_8320.PNG

IMG_8321.PNG

IMG_8322.PNG

Hello erewhon

Thank you very much for all your time and effort in making/designing this item. above all, a very big thank you for sharing all this information with us all.

I've put in an order with Sculpteo and can't wait for it to arrive, many many thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E DR500GW-HD 18
J DR500GW-HD 1052
Back