Options for having dashcam record only shortwhile after vehicle power off

krole

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the moment I'm not too concerned about long term parking modes. Sample scenarios would be a craigslist type meetup or rear end in traffic. One thing that has been more common where I live are someone would run into your car and when you get out to look at the damage they would carjack you. Basically I would like to turn the car off but still have the dash cam on to record whats happening for say 10-15 min.

One option is using a Power Magic Pro and just have it set to 12.5v and let the dashcam run the battery down until it gets there. The dashcam specific batteries I've seen cost too much imo for what I would like to do with it. Any other ideas?

Doesn't really need to be dashcam specific atm, I currently use a A118c but have been looking for a dual channel dashcam. Been eyeing up a few but the Street Guardian sg9663dc and upcoming Viofo A129 are potential contenders. Whatever I do I would like to have a similar setup on 2 cars. I see Street Guardian has an upcoming hardwire kit for the sg9663dc that may work as well.

One option, I use a mobile phone power bank, I think it's a very small one at 2800mah but it's great, and I use it exactly for the reason you want one, it would give me a couple of hours if I needed it to, I've never needed more than half an hour at most

my last car had a permanent live 12v port so when I left it parked it would continue to record, my work van doesn't so this is perfect. You can get power banks that are really decent capacity and would literally run for days on a single full charge and they're not expensive, depends on your budget and whether you need one so substantial.

One option, I use a mobile phone power bank, I think it's a very small one at 2800mah but it's great, and I use it exactly for the reason you want one, it would give me a couple of hours if I needed it to, I've never needed more than half an hour at most

my last car had a permanent live 12v port so when I left it parked it would continue to record, my work van doesn't so this is perfect. You can get power banks that are really decent capacity and would literally run for days on a single full charge and they're not expensive, depends on your budget and whether you need one so substantial.

I thought about that, but I think that will be too much maintenance for me. I'd rather not have to either remember to recharge that battery every (other) day or to change the plug from car to battery. Plus I'd like to put one in my girlfriends car and I know she will not have any of that.

shortest option we offer in parking mode is 5 minutes

That will be with SGDCHW hardwire kit, correct? Are the rest of the increments\timing worked out yet? Or is that TBD?

Thanks

That will be with SGDCHW hardwire kit, correct? Are the rest of the increments\timing worked out yet? Or is that TBD?

Thanks

yes with the hardwire kit, there's a bunch of different options currently, we may fine tune the options further once we have some feedback

yes with the hardwire kit, there's a bunch of different options currently, we may fine tune the options further once we have some feedback

Sounds good, the sg9663dc is at the top of my list so far I think!

I thought about that, but I think that will be too much maintenance for me. I'd rather not have to either remember to recharge that battery every (other) day or to change the plug from car to battery. Plus I'd like to put one in my girlfriends car and I know she will not have any of that.

Is someone trying to carjack you every 2 days? :D

Seriously though if you need the 15mins or so engine-off recording every day or every other day you can get much larger capacity powerbanks that might not need recharging for weeks at a time. Mine is specifically a small one because I don't need to use it often at all

One option is using a Power Magic Pro and just have it set to 12.5v and let the dashcam run the battery down until it gets there. The dashcam specific batteries I've seen cost too much imo for what I would like to do with it. Any other ideas?

From https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/ USD25.99 – USD33.98 depending on which fuse tap you want.
You can configure Power Magic Pro to supply power to your BlackVue for a preset duration, from 6 hours to infinity. The timer function is only active when the vehicle’s ignition is off and automatically stops if ignition is on.

6 hours seems to be the minimum so it might not suit your requirements.

At the moment I'm not too concerned about long term parking modes. Sample scenarios would be a craigslist type meetup or rear end in traffic. One thing that has been more common where I live are someone would run into your car and when you get out to look at the damage they would carjack you. Basically I would like to turn the car off but still have the dash cam on to record whats happening for say 10-15 min.

Doesn't really need to be dashcam specific atm, I currently use a A118c but have been looking for a dual channel dashcam. Been eyeing up a few but the Street Guardian sg9663dc and upcoming Viofo A129 are potential contenders. Whatever I do I would like to have a similar setup on 2 cars. I see Street Guardian has an upcoming hardwire kit for the sg9663dc that may work as well.

Another option would be to install a delay timer. Various inexpensive ON/OFF delay timer relays are widely available for only a few dollars. eBay is probably one of the best sources for these things.

Virtually all of them will accept 12-24V input with 5V DC output.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...2V-Adjustable-Infinite-Cycle-Loop-De&_sacat=0

timer.jpg

delaytimer.jpg

Is someone trying to carjack you every 2 days? :D

Seriously though if you need the 15mins or so engine-off recording every day or every other day you can get much larger capacity powerbanks that might not need recharging for weeks at a time. Mine is specifically a small one because I don't need to use it often at all

Admittedly that scenario is unlikely to happen, and when it does they seem to be obvious about it. They don't exactly hit you very subtlety and the type of people in the car are a give away as well. In that case I would just not stop.

It would be more useful for a normal fender bender where it may be useful to keep recording, and when in the city I don't want to leave my car running when I get out.

I'd rather have something automatic, something that turns on when I start the car and turns off after a set time when the car is turned off. Though the battery bank would be good for purposes that are planned ahead of time like a Craigslist type meetup.

From https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/ USD25.99 – USD33.98 depending on which fuse tap you want.
You can configure Power Magic Pro to supply power to your BlackVue for a preset duration, from 6 hours to infinity. The timer function is only active when the vehicle’s ignition is off and automatically stops if ignition is on.

6 hours seems to be the minimum so it might not suit your requirements.

Ya I'd rather not have 6 hours of footage for this purpose. Though it may turn off before at the 12.5v cutoff. At that point a true parking mode would be better I think, I haven't entirely ruled that out yet though.

Another option would be to install a delay timer. Various inexpensive ON/OFF delay timer relays are widely available for only a few dollars. eBay is probably one of the best sources for these things.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...2V-Adjustable-Infinite-Cycle-Loop-De&_sacat=0

Thats a good idea, will have too look more into this.

Though atm sg9663dc with a hardwire kit when available may be the ideal solution.

Thanks!

The Mobius 1 can be configured to continue recording automatically for up to 1 minute after the car is turned off, using power from its internal battery. I don't know if any of the other action cameras with built-in batteries can do this for longer? I'm testing a camera at the moment that can extend this recording period out to 10 minutes, but it's not available yet.

Having an in-built battery is not ideal for dashcams due to risks from the battery overheating, but it may serve your purpose in this instance.

Quite a difference in cost between these two options.

Sure is, but I've been eyeing a 2ch dashcam anyway (potentially 2). I just want to know what my options are. If I decide on Street Guardian I would probably just go with the hardwire kit. If I go another route I may need to DIY it a bit.

Still need to look at those timers closer, as I don't want it infinitely turning on\off. Edit: This one looks like it may be sufficient. https://www.ebay.com/itm/323140757966

Sure is, but I've been eyeing a 2ch dashcam anyway (potentially 2). I just want to know what my options are. If I decide on Street Guardian I would probably just go with the hardwire kit. If I go another route I may need to DIY it a bit.

Still need to look at those timers closer, as I don't want it infinitely turning on\off. Edit: This one looks like it may be sufficient. https://www.ebay.com/itm/323140757966

Well, this was just a suggestion for another option. As always, everyone should weigh all opinions and reach their own conclusions according to their requirements and budget.

A simple countdown version should be fine if you decide on one of these. I like the newer ones that have become available that offer a digital read-out. When these low cost timers first came on the market a few years ago there was only one model but now there are numerous versions available. Cost for any of these is still quite moderate.

View attachment 37840

I'm trying to understand exactly how this would be wired. Is it something like this?

DC+ = 12v always on fuse
DC- = ground
COM = 12v fuse only on when car on
NO = + to cam

I'm trying to understand exactly how this would be wired. Is it something like this?

DC+ = 12v always on fuse
DC- = ground
NO = + to cam

Yes, I think so. It's basically 12V in +/- and 5V out +/- to your dash cam via USB connection regardless of how you choose to bring 12V to the timer. Obviously, if you want to power the camera for 15 minutes after you leave your car you'll need 12V full time. What I mean is that in theory if you happen to have a full time 12V plug as some cars have you could just take it from there with a cigar plug adapter. Recently, I was provided a loaner vehicle from my dealership that had two full time 12V ports, unlike my truck which powers off with the ignition.

Yes, I think so. It's basically 12V in +/- and 5V out +/- to your dash cam via USB connection...
Not sure I'm understanding what you are saying, but to make sure nobody blows up their cameras:

The relay modules are just switches which have a delayed turn off, they do not turn 12 volts into 5 volts, you need to connect the output to your charger/hardwire kit which in turn powers the camera.

Yes, I think so. It's basically 12V in +/- and 5V out +/- to your dash cam via USB connection regardless of how you choose to bring 12V to the timer. Obviously, if you want to power the camera for 15 minutes after you leave your car you'll need 12V full time. What I mean is that in theory if you happen to have a full time 12V plug as some cars have you could just take it from there with a cigar plug adapter. Recently, I was provided a loaner vehicle from my dealership that had two full time 12V ports, unlike my truck which powers off with the ignition.
Not sure I'm understanding what you are saying, but to make sure nobody blows up their cameras:

The relay modules are just switches which have a delayed turn off, they do not turn 12 volts into 5 volts, you need to connect the output to your charger/hardwire kit which in turn powers the camera.

Does the "12v only on when car is on" might go to the trigger instead? Then the +- goes on the NO\COM on the other side? Anyway got some homework to do if I go this method. (y)

DC+ = 12v always on fuse
DC- = ground
NO = + to cam
DC+ = 12v always on fuse
DC - = ground/earth
Trigger = ignition/accessory switched fuse
COM = 12v always on fuse
NO = 12v to hardwire kit
ground = ground to hardwire kit

Make sure you use a 12v powered module.

Back