Rearview mirror mount for G1W

Anyone see this new "Updated" rearview mirror mount that estore009 is selling?
Quite a lot more expensive than the original though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131183332412

Bump!

First of all, hello! I have been lurking these forums for a while researching what dash cam to purchase but I decided to register today to ask a question.

I just recently purchased a G1W-C (I actually had to purchase two cameras from two different sellers as the first seller had their G1W stock incorrectly labeled as G1W-Cs, so they sent me the wrong camera, but don't worry I got a full refund) and I am wanting to know if this rear-view mirror mount will work with it? The item description page says that it will only work with the G1WH, but I am hoping that it would be possible to get it to work with the G1W-C even if it requires a little modification. I would get the regular rear-view mirror mount, but I have to use a hanging parking placard for my university and the longer length of the updated rear-view mirror mount would allow me to have the parking placard hanging without blocking the camera lens.

If it will not work, does anyone know of any other rear-view mirror mount that will work with the G1W-C?

The main reason why I want a new mount so soon is because the mount that came with my camera has an incorrectly threaded nut so the ball joint does not tighten correctly which makes the camera change its aim every time I hit a big bump. I thought about contacting Spytec to ask if they would be able to send a replacement mount, but I figured I would just go ahead and get a rear-view mirror mount if I can find one long enough to have the camera hang lower than my parking placard.

Thank you,
-Chris

Bump!

First of all, hello! I have been lurking these forums for a while researching what dash cam to purchase but I decided to register today to ask a question.

I just recently purchased a G1W-C (I actually had to purchase two cameras from two different sellers as the first seller had their G1W stock incorrectly labeled as G1W-Cs, so they sent me the wrong camera, but don't worry I got a full refund) and I am wanting to know if this rear-view mirror mount will work with it? The item description page says that it will only work with the G1WH, but I am hoping that it would be possible to get it to work with the G1W-C even if it requires a little modification. I would get the regular rear-view mirror mount, but I have to use a hanging parking placard for my university and the longer length of the updated rear-view mirror mount would allow me to have the parking placard hanging without blocking the camera lens.

If it will not work, does anyone know of any other rear-view mirror mount that will work with the G1W-C?

The main reason why I want a new mount so soon is because the mount that came with my camera has an incorrectly threaded nut so the ball joint does not tighten correctly which makes the camera change its aim every time I hit a big bump. I thought about contacting Spytec to ask if they would be able to send a replacement mount, but I figured I would just go ahead and get a rear-view mirror mount if I can find one long enough to have the camera hang lower than my parking placard.

Thank you,
-Chris

I own the regular battery G1W, so I couldn't say for sure. I think they use the same slot type mount.

Oddly enough, regarding parking placards, I was able to use mine to disguise the camera. The hole in the placard fitted around the lens just about perfectly. Unfortunately, after a few weeks the placard started falling off the lens and I had to hang it off the mirror, as it was intended to be.

I went ahead and ordered the extended rearview mirror mount for my G1W-C. I'll let everyone know how well it works once I received it. Estimated delivery is sometimes between Aug 14 and Aug 28.

I went ahead and ordered the extended rearview mirror mount for my G1W-C. I'll let everyone know how well it works once I received it. Estimated delivery is sometimes between Aug 14 and Aug 28.
Looking forward to it. Curious to see how well it fits. Might try it on my Marcus 3.

I received the longer rear-view mirror mount today and the mounting bracket is larger than the mounting hole on the G1W-C. However, a quick minute of filing down the plastic square part was all that was needed to get the camera to fit on the mount.

Mounting the mount onto the rearview mirror can be difficult if you have a rearview mirror with a skinny arm. The mount comes with a piece of rubber you can roll up inside of the clamp, but getting it to line up correctly so that you can tighten the clamp down can be challenging. Took me about 15 minutes to get it on tight enough.

Other than that, the mount is long enough so that my parking placard does not cover the camera lens. The placard stops right at the edge of the camera's field of view. If it was even a centimeter longer, it would partially show up on the top edge of the video.

Setting up the mount position like in the top right hand corner of this image http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMzWDgwMA==/z/k-MAAOxyYANTZ2a9/$_57.JPG will only work if the arm on the rearview mirror is perfectly level with the ground. The reason being is that when the mount is in that position, the arm on the mount does not allow tilting the camera, which means that the camera will aim parallel with the angle of the arm that the mount is clamped onto. IE, if the rearview mirror arm goes down at an angle towards the floor, the camera will be aiming upwards if you mount it like in the top right hand corner of the picture above.

Hey Chris311 would you be so kind to post some pics? How does it look in your car from inside and outside? THX in advance!

Chris311, would you be able to let me know if it is possible to mount it like this?
YzBPXI3.jpg

I want to hide mine up behind the mirror as much as possible but my suction cup mount wont stick to that dot shade thing up at the top so it's really low in my car right now.

Eh I'm afraid it might mess up the windshield and it seems like a one time use thing. Can't reposition it if I don't like it after a while. The long rearview attachment would be perfect if it does what I showed in that picture.

Chris311, would you be able to let me know if it is possible to mount it like this?
YzBPXI3.jpg

I want to hide mine up behind the mirror as much as possible but my suction cup mount wont stick to that dot shade thing up at the top so it's really low in my car right now.

I would think that mounting it that way might have issues attaching the power cable depending on the clearances in your car.

I have one of these and it does provide some additional flexibility for mounting but the downside is, because of the longer arm the camera attaches to, there is more vibration transmitted to the camera from the vehicle - most apparent when hitting a bump or on rough roads . It's not a real big thing but it is noticeable versus the 'standard' mirror mount.

I tried it because I wanted to get the camera up higher behind the mirror and I was able to do that by about 1/4 inch. Currently thinking about going back to the other version and will probably do so.

Update: I've decided to switch back. I came to realize that the entire mount is not as stable because the amount of friction surface that holds everything together is much less than with the 'single ball' mirror mount.

With the single ball mount there is only one ball and the entire 360 degree circumference of the ball is used to hold it steady. This 'dual ball' version less than half the circumference of each ball is used and the mechanism for tightening them doesn't allow for as much force to be applied. The result is it is much easier to knock the camera out of alignment.

My opinion is this 'dual ball' mirror mount would be best only if you have a real need for the additional flexibility it offers and are willing to give up some stability.

I discovered all this when I was trying to mount the camera as you asked (I thought I might be able to get it higher behind the mirror as well). I was able to do it but it is a bit tight getting the cable to the camera, although it can be done.

Last edited:
I went ahead and got it and I just set it up. I was able to mount it that way. The power cable does almost get in the way but after playing with it for a minute I got it working. I haven't had any stability issues.

Guys, do you have any information on if the mount for G1W would also fit DOD LS460W? I would like to get DOD because of it's GPS option but still use the rear view mirror mount with it. Thank you in advance!

Also, this is probably a bit off-topic, but are those eBay sellers from China selling ever genuine stuff (like DOD), or are they just cheap copies? I know even Apple has factories in China, but they're not the same as the ones making fake iPhones.

Guys, do you have any information on if the mount for G1W would also fit DOD LS460W? I would like to get DOD because of it's GPS option but still use the rear view mirror mount with it. Thank you in advance!

Also, this is probably a bit off-topic, but are those eBay sellers from China selling ever genuine stuff (like DOD), or are they just cheap copies? I know even Apple has factories in China, but they're not the same as the ones making fake iPhones.

Maybe member reverend will weigh in, he probably own both cams in question.

Meanwhile, I have only the GIW. Looking at online photos of the LS460W, it looks to me like the mount on the G1W may be a little too wide for the LS460W. Of course, it is plastic so only a little work with a file could fix that.

You can probably find the G1W mounts for around $5 (USD) so if you can afford a $200 cam, you can probably afford to risk five or ten dollars to find out if it works.

About counterfeits, ebay seller estore009 has a good reputation on this forum. I have bought from them and I have no complaint.

Thanks for your input Tony! It's not about the money, not at all. I just have experience of GPS falling off the windshield because of it's suction cup mount. That's why I don't want to use such mounting option anymore. This means I need to know if there is compatible mount available before purchasing the camera. Otherwise I might be forced to use the suction cup.

I don't have a DOD camera, but I have used this mount on Vicovation cameras.

If the T-Slot mount is the same then it will be no big deal. However if the T-Slot mount is a different shape. (The Shadow camera I have has a smaller T Slot) then you might be able to hack together the DOD mount to the rear view mirror cupler. I've done this to use the mirror mount with my Marcus 3 quick release bracket.

Ok thanks. Does anyone have incompatible mirror for this mount? Because I migh have and so I'm not sure if it will fit. I have only vertical "stick" to attach the mount to, but horizontal is missing. So will I be able to use the joint and turn the camera 90 degrees? Please see the pic I drew:

ZAIv1Ey.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L G1WX 0
Back