What Dash Cam Should I Buy, Looking for Reccomendations?

RamSolo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help figuring out what Dash Cam is right for me, also a question about parking mode

It's for a 2007 Honda Accord
Nothing expensive, not over 500 dollars
Records rear and front
Parking Mode- does parking mode stay active all the time or is there a way to turn it off when it's not needed? (like when the vehicle is parked at my home)
The dash cam has to be able to work well in summer weather (average mid 80s but has gotten to 90 before).

I read somewhere that BlackVue and ThinkWare are the best at handling hot weather.

These were two BlackVue Dash Cams I looked at but not sure if they're the best option or not

Welcome to the forum RamSolo.

500 bucks are quite up there.

Blackvue and thinkware dont handle temperature in general better, but with parking guard they might, at least when using the radar they can have build in.
But all systems worth while handle heat ( while parked doing nothing ) and while driving just fine.

But if parking guard is a must then you are looking at the better ones, but then as a flip side to that generally the smart / cloud enabled cameras often get beaten on general image quality.
In general though if you park in the sun, well in summer electronics can only handle so high temperatures, once they are hit systems will shut off to prevent damage, and sadly most do not come on again automatic once things have cooled down.

Regarding your Honda Accord, i have no ides how its layout is on the windscreen, but you can browse the pic heavy " where did you put your dashcam " thread, where you can see what people did in cars with a windscreen layout that sort of look like yours.

@Vortex Radar on here and on youtube he is the thinkware and Blackvue expert.

Parking Mode- does parking mode stay active all the time or is there a way to turn it off when it's not needed?
Welcome to the club.

On the Viofo cameras there is a power button to turn off parking mode when not needed.

Most systems you can override the parking guard mode, so when you stop and the camera change to parking guard, just long press power and it will shut off.
Some are experimenting with geofencing / geo location, but as far as i know it is not fully implemented, it is a nice feature i think.
I use low bitrate for parking, but only on a 3 hour timer, no job / retired so only need parking guard while shopping, at home i have CCTV camera on my 2 floor balcony door aimed at my car parked in the back yard.

Not all brands support the timer option, also not all have low bitrate recording either.

A couple things - for your budget and needs, I'd definitely recommend looking at the Viofo A129 Plus or A129 PRO. They fit your criteria of recording front and back under $500, have parking mode you can turn off as needed, and are built to handle the heat.

As for parking mode, yeah you're right most let you turn it off with the power button when not in use, like when at home. That way it doesn't drain the battery overnight. The video links those others shared are really helpful too to compare features.

A couple things - for your budget and needs, I'd definitely recommend looking at the Viofo A129 Plus or A129 PRO. They fit your criteria of recording front and back under $500, have parking mode you can turn off as needed, and are built to handle the heat.

As for parking mode, yeah you're right most let you turn it off with the power button when not in use, like when at home. That way it doesn't drain the battery overnight. The video links those others shared are really helpful too to compare features.
do the videos for them stay on the SD cards only or can they be accessed from the app?

Back