Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

I mounted my A139 Pro to the plastic around the sensor array in my Kia EV6. I tried Viofo's 3M tape and several other 3M tapes I saw mentioned on here, but none of them would last longer than a couple of weeks in the summer before I'd come out from work in the afternoon and find the camera dangling from the cords. Finally I got annoyed enough to call 3M and get a recommendation. The guy there almost instantly said I wanted to get some LSE-110WF tape. He said it was designed to permanently adhere plastic to plastic in a wide temperature range, and that as long as I made sure to clean the surfaces thoroughly it wouldn't come off. He was right -it hasn't budged the slightest amount, even on the hottest of days.

I know it's going to be a chore to get the stuff off if I ever decide to remove it, but I honestly don't care since I no longer come out to a dangling camera in the summer. The only bad side to the 110WF tape is that it's crazy expensive, and apparently Amazon sellers have been known to sell counterfeits of it. I bought the smallest roll available through McMaster and still had to pay like $38 shipped, then only used like 2" of the 15-foot roll :oops:

PXL_20240113_161846788~2.jpgPXL_20240113_161830095~2.jpg

On my 2023 RAM 3500 I mounted my Blackvue 970x Plus right under the mirror on the windshield, came out nice and clean. Also ran the power right and off the center overhead console. Super easy

IMG_2925.jpeg

Re: Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures.

808 #18 or 808 #16

Here is another camera and I will show to you right after the Itronics pictures to see a more hidden camera. It is not produced as dashcam, but as spy camera and the names for the original product are 808 #16 and 808 #18. There are very small differences between 16 and 18 and in my pictures is the 808 #18.
I can say this is the perfect hidden camera, but in my case I am lucky also because the wipers are cleaning the windshield in the top most position.

1. View from inside. You can see, it is right under the car roof. Just perfect.

2. A very small led which is not visible from outside, but from inside

3. Sun visor down. So you can't see it from inside

4. View from outside under direct sun, without sun visors down

5. Sun visors down. View under a lot of sunlight

6. Closer

7. This is what you see in reality

Please don't ask about this 808 camera here. I will make a new thread about it.
Lets keep this topic only about the camera mounting on the windshield, with ideas, pictures, answers and questions.

enjoy,
Mtz
Droopy! Parked for three weeks in a v hot country, my Nextbase 622GW eased itself off the front window. Immediate solution: a pack of 3M double-sided 25 mm x 25 mm Very High Bond dashcam stickies. Next time in megahot long-stay parking, I'll unclip the 125 gram camera, and park it in the glovebox.

Droopy! Parked for three weeks in a v hot country, my Nextbase 622GW eased itself off the front window. Immediate solution: a pack of 3M double-sided 25 mm x 25 mm Very High Bond dashcam stickies. Next time in megahot long-stay parking, I'll unclip the 125 gram camera, and park it in the glovebox.

There are many types of 3M VHB (very high bond) tape available but most dash cams use type 5952. It is not uncommon to have dash cam tape fail in hot weather but in theory there is no reason this should happen.

This tape is rated to hold securely at temperatures for up to days or weeks at 121ºC and up to hours at 149 ºC.

3m_temps.png

Clean the glass very thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or 50% alcohol and water using a lint free cloth before applying the tape.

The ideal temperature for application is between 70ºF to 100ºF (21ºC to 38ºC)

It is very important to apply the mounting tape properly when installing a camera and to let it cure (bond) for as much as 72 hours (depending on the temperature) before applying weight. (such as your camera)

bond.png

Another reason dash cam tape can fail is because it has a shelf life and it is not uncommon for manufacturers to knowingly or unknowingly use out of date tape during assembly of their cameras.

After applying your new 3M double-sided tape, you might want to give it another try in hot weather and see if you get better results. You may just be surprised to have better luck this time.

Last edited:
Six years and still going strong (hope I didn't jinx it).

...a putty knife with a thin blade is the tool of choice.
I like a razer blade scraper as well - makes it very easy to get separation from the glass started. Just make sure to use a good (new?) blade so as to not scratch the surface you're working on.

I like a razer blade scraper as well - makes it very easy to get separation from the glass started. Just make sure to use a good (new?) blade so as to not scratch the surface you're working on.

I've tried that too and it works but I like the power and leverage you get with the putty knife blade and the handle because once you work the blade sufficiently under the camera mount, a few twists and upward tilt of the putty knife makes short work of prying the mount off the glass.

I used to worry about scratching the glass with a putty knife but it's never happened.

Any real man have a putty knife. they often come in handy for something.
In Denmark we just broadly call anything slightly looking like that a spatula.
I used my pocket knife on my windscreen yesterday, it even took care of most of the gunk left behind.

Also noticed how dinged up my outside windscreen are now after 12 years,,,,, OMG

Back