What do I do in case of an accident?

ksal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there - just bought a brand new G1W dash cam and put a class 10 32gb microSD card in it.

If I were to get into an accident (god forbid) then do I turn off the camera and eject the SD card? I went to the store, turned off the camera, and I guess the video of that trip is gone. However, some old files are still in it.

Does it erase after every 5 minutes? Or does it hold hours of 5 minutes loops. Can I let my G1W turn off or will it delete the videos every time?

The videos it kept were "protected"

Is it possible that you were in the settings menu before the trip and didn't get the unit back into record mode? I'm assuming your trip back from the store recorded okay?

Happened to me, anyway!

Is it possible that you were in the settings menu before the trip and didn't get the unit back into record mode? I'm assuming your trip back from the store recorded okay?

Happened to me, anyway!
Nope, the trip back is also gone... I turned off the car after and then went to get the mail. THAT recorded fine. So does it delete the old files every time it turns off?

As of this thread I had it on a 5-minute loop, 3-minute screen saver. What other settings should I post?

If I take off the looping, does it just record everything?
This is what the screen looks like:
photo (3).JPG

The trips to and from the store where just me turning on the car and then turning it off without touching the G1W.

if you turn looping off it will record until the card is full and then stop

maybe format your card and start again, 5 minute loop is fine

Just thought that I'd mention that in his review of this camera Techmoan actually considered Class 10 card incompatible, and recommended Class 4 or Class 6. Why not give it a try if your problem persists after you have made the recommended changes in the menu.

Strange, the eBay site recommended class 10 :/

On the G1W you can set G-Sensor sensitivity to high, it is not very sensible.
It will lock the file to "read only" in case of an accident.

On a 32GB TF card, you will record 4,5 or 5,5 hours (I don't remember). So, after accident, turn off your car key and let dashcam stop after "delayed shutdown" time you have set (mine is 2 min).

You won't lost the file if you stop using the dashcam, or use it less than 4 hours.

And if the G-sensor has worked, you will never lost the file because it will never be deleted, until you format the Tf card.

On the G1W you can set G-Sensor sensitivity to high, it is not very sensible.
It will lock the file to "read only" in case of an accident.

On a 32GB TF card, you will record 4,5 or 5,5 hours (I don't remember). So, after accident, turn off your car key and let dashcam stop after "delayed shutdown" time you have set (mine is 2 min).

You won't lost the file if you stop using the dashcam, or use it less than 4 hours.

And if the G-sensor has worked, you will never lost the file because it will never be deleted, until you format the Tf card.
The problem with setting a G-sensor is you get false positives and when it locks too much files, the camera won't store any lore videos and it can be a hassle to format it every week or so. It's best to set it to off or if you're paranoid that you'll be unconscious after the accident, to low.

You're probably right, but in 1 month (3 to 4 hours each day) my G1W had only 1 false positive with G-sensor set to high.

I think it also depends on the area if the G-Sensor function is useful or not.
In a city where everything is usually flat it works better than countryside with a lot of bumps on the road (Like at my place x3 )

If you hit the mode button while recording, it should protect the current clip.

Ever since my first cam, I have always turned the G-sensor off. No matter what setting I used, it always locked the bumps and potholes - and seeing as every road in this town seems like a ploughed field, I'd end up with a card full of locked files. I've had cams that would partition the card & use the partition to store a locked file - usually, it would save a copy - so you'd end up with two identical files, one locked!
I really cannot see any need to lock a file. If you're in an accident then realistically, that'd be the last file you record on that cam for a while?
Most cams will hold a lot of footage before they rewrite - so chances of writing over footage of a scrape would be slim - if you were on a long journey and it was important to keep the file then buy a new card at a supermarket.
Let's face it, the first thing you'd want to do as soon as you got home would be to review the footage on a computer.

Back