Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

No difference between your old and new .log files - you can attach track manually and see it working.
Your MOV files contain GPS log track, but without coordinates (only time), so RegistratorViewer trying to load it, and get no track.

Can you make a version of RegistratorViewer wich autoload log files based on filenames and a default directory?
Manualy attach track file by file mannualy would take forever.
Because i think that asking for a good mov (with gps logs in the file) would take forever?

I have now installed the new 20130903 firmware and its working perfectly. Thanks for the guide.
I should have posted what the guy said in the email. Sorry was in a rush.

“ hi friend,

this is the newest firmware,

before you update this firmware,I will let you know something,

the gps is auto on and cannot be set,I have asked the factory to make a newer firmware and will release in next week and will try to send to you.

This is the newest firmware from now and it is MOV video

Pls try it and let me know if there is any problems

Regards “

If gps is always on I’m cool with that. But no option to turn the beep off is going to push me.

Keep up the good work guys

iridium said:
Just updated mine with the firmware from the Mini 0801 FAQ page. The only problem I can see (I haven't checked out the GPS yet) is that I no longer have the choice to select which memory to use - the internal 8gb, or the SD card. I can only use the SD card now...

Has anyone else experienced this?

this firmware is for the single card version, yours has two cards, wrong firmware, I guess the theory about the control file being different for each version is wrong then if you were able to load the incorrect firmware

jokiin said:
iridium said:
Just updated mine with the firmware from the Mini 0801 FAQ page. The only problem I can see (I haven't checked out the GPS yet) is that I no longer have the choice to select which memory to use - the internal 8gb, or the SD card. I can only use the SD card now...

this firmware is for the single card version, yours has two cards, wrong firmware, I guess the theory about the control file being different for each version is wrong then if you were able to load the incorrect firmware

Ah, strange. It seems to work fine except for that. Does anyone have the firmware for my version of this camera?

iridium said:
jokiin said:
iridium said:

Ah, strange. It seems to work fine except for that. Does anyone have the firmware for my version of this camera?

I'll PM you a link to a twin card version, I can't promise you it's right for your camera though, it may not load if it's incorrect, if it loads and it's wrong you should be ok to roll back to the version you have now though

jokiin said:
I'll PM you a link to a twin card version, I can't promise you it's right for your camera though, it may not load if it's incorrect, if it loads and it's wrong you should be ok to roll back to the version you have now though

Thank you very much!

iridium said:
jokiin said:

Thank you very much!

no problem, have sent you the link, if it's no good the Procam CX4 version might work for you also

nuxator said:
Can you make a version of RegistratorViewer wich autoload log files based on filenames and a default directory?
Because i think that asking for a good mov (with gps logs in the file) would take forever?
All other dashcams have priorited internal GPS track, because it is always correct, rather of external log file.
Your firmware is only one who making internal track, but without coordinates...
It is needed new structure of loader module in RegistratorViewer, not easy...

I can't update my cam, it's on 20130604 and I've copied the three files but no prompt shows up on power on. Any ideas?

Vadikus said:
All other dashcams have priorited internal GPS track, because it is always correct, rather of external log file.

HA ok. I was thinking that it will just need a hack from the attach menu.
Like attach from directory and then matching numers in mov and log filename.

Maybe we'll find a way to mux inside the mov the external log automaticly.
What a shame this firmware. TS and then not correct MOV support....

Vadikus said:

there's a chance the firmware file they are using is wrong for their camera, maybe wait until that's confirmed before spending any time on fixing something that might not be broken

irononreverse said:
I can't update my cam, it's on 20130604 and I've copied the three files but no prompt shows up on power on. Any ideas?

the elf file is not needed, if it doesn't load it's possible this is just the wrong firmware for your camera, better it doesn't run if that's the case

Vadikus said:
No difference between your old and new .log files - you can attach track manually and see it working.
Your MOV files contain GPS log track, but without coordinates (only time), so RegistratorViewer trying to load it, and get no track.

Vadikus said:
nuxator said:

nuxator said:
HA ok. I was thinking that it will just need a hack from the attach menu.
Like attach from directory and then matching numers in mov and log filename.

Maybe we'll find a way to mux inside the mov the external log automaticly.
What a shame this firmware. TS and then not correct MOV support....

If there is no difference, why does the old log auto import when I added the .TS (multiple files at once even), and the new firmware requires the .log manually be attached per .MOV? Help me understand what is being said here. On the new firmware, is part of the GPS info (coordinates) being embedded into the new .MOV? (and the other parts are in the .LOG files then?) I hope things are not broken forever with new .MOV versions. The whole reason I was excited to get .MOV was so it worked better with RegistratorViewer! I'd almost rather have .TS if it means I can convert to .MP4 and at least get it working with RegistratorViewer again. Then again it's just as fast or faster to manually / slowly attach each .LOG file to the .MOV files inside RegistratorViewer as well. There has to be an automatic way to match .MOV files to .LOG files. They always have the same file name. I assumed matching file names together is how it was being done all along. When I renamed the .TS files in the past, RegistratorViewer wouldn't automatically see the .LOG files then. What am I not understanding here? Well worst case, this camera is history when Jokiin comes out with something better that works properly. I'm not giving up just yet though.

Maddox said:
I have now installed the new 20130903 firmware and its working perfectly. Thanks for the guide.
I should have posted what the guy said in the email. Sorry was in a rush.
“ hi friend,
this is the newest firmware,
before you update this firmware,I will let you know something,
the gps is auto on and cannot be set,I have asked the factory to make a newer firmware and will release in next week and will try to send to you.
This is the newest firmware from now and it is MOV video
Pls try it and let me know if there is any problems
Regards “

If gps is always on I’m cool with that. But no option to turn the beep off is going to push me.
Keep up the good work guys

Can you try using registratorviewer? (is the route automatically picked up for you?)
What does "GPS is auto on and connot be set" mean? I thought that was always the case. I actually like that the .LOG files are generated regardless if the STAMP is on or off in the cam Gui. Are there another options id different firmwares to have GPS turned off all together? (I'm assuming this would be for location privacy/speed self censoring?)

Well I hope the contact above continues to provide new firmwares/facts for us to learn about. (we learn something new every day on the 0801)
Either way I have the NEW camera coming from Givoe on the way with proper new dual card firmware direct from the factory. Let's hope it works with RegistratorViewer! If it doesn't it kind of defeats the whole reason why I bought it. It's NOT fun to work with so many recordings manually when RegistratorViewer makes it so simple to save the exact segment you want instantly.

iridium said:

jokiin said:

no problem, have sent you the link, if it's no good the Procam CX4 version might work for you also

Interesting, it makes sense that we would need a special firmware for dual card version. My new one will be in this category. I hope future firmware updates come out for both and I'm not stuck with an unsupported odd-ball version months from now. Even in it's latest firmware, th eProcam cx4 seems to still use .TS as the recording format. (based on what I saw in the russian translated forum link I posted a page or two ago.)

irononreverse said:

Where did you buy your camera from again? (and what specs does it have?) I wonder if it's time for you to try the USB software with .elf file.

To keep everyone in loop...............

I received Via Email:
Vadikus said:
Now, if RegistratorViewer see GPS track inside MOV file, it will be used.
For your MOV files - internal track is not track, but fake, so you see not track.

I need to write new algorithm of linking and loading track...

But as I see it is only for you, because other users don't write anything
on the forum, that they want to use RegistratorViewer...

I responded...........
Ok thanks for the details! You always go above and beyond for the dashcam community. I'll keep you posted on how the new 0801 I bought from Givoe Aliexpress behaves once it arrives in a few weeks. My existing 0801 was purchased from seller eprance on ebay. I hope to get another firmware revision to try soon on my old 0801. (hopefully things return back to normal) So again it's possible things will continue to be non functioning in all post .MOV firmwares. If so, I'll ask that my re-seller report this non-standard/bad GPS logging behavior to the factory to see if they can provide a solution or work around. I think Camera's should use RegistratorViewer as the model and standards for how things should be done in a compatible way. :) ~Jon

JazJon,

So I too appear to be having difficulties with following the instructions. I have FIRMWARE 20130705 (somehow I may have fat fingered that in a previous post incorrectly , but that is exactly the firmware version I have in double checking that now).

Appears my boot up with a formatted MicroSD card, with the 3 files copied into the Root directory does not cause any firmware upgrade prompt either. I purchased my 0801 from Betterking - who still have not responded to a Firmware SW version, although they alluded to emailing it and it bouncing back to them on my Gmail account last Friday eve.

Any thoughts or ideas you might share are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jon T.

onemanshow said:
although they alluded to emailing it and it bouncing back to them on my Gmail account last Friday eve.

if they are trying to send you a self extracting exe file (which I have noticed is how this update is being sent) then Gmail will bounce that straight back to them, Gmail does not pass exe files at all

onemanshow said:
JazJon,

So I too appear to be having difficulties with following the instructions. I have FIRMWARE 20130705 (somehow I may have fat fingered that in a previous post incorrectly , but that is exactly the firmware version I have in double checking that now).

Appears my boot up with a formatted MicroSD card, with the 3 files copied into the Root directory does not cause any firmware upgrade prompt either. I purchased my 0801 from Betterking - who still have not responded to a Firmware SW version, although they alluded to emailing it and it bouncing back to them on my Gmail account last Friday eve.

Any thoughts or ideas you might share are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jon T.

I think you have three options at this point.

1) Wait for Betterking to send you the firmware that's confirmed working with 20130705
2) Wait for us to post more firmware updates from eprance & other Aliexpress re-sellers (as we receive them)
3) Try the USB recovery via .elf file and utils available in GS1000 section.
See: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&start=390#p24895

You could also try the procam cx4 version but that's at your own risk. (I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet)
http://www.procam.ru/files.html (use Chrome or Google Translate)

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
onemanshow said:
although they alluded to emailing it and it bouncing back to them on my Gmail account last Friday eve.

if they are trying to send you a self extracting exe file (which I have noticed is how this update is being sent) then Gmail will bounce that straight back to them, Gmail does not pass exe files at all

That's an excellent point! That would be why I never received the email either. Let's remember to always ask them to rename the file from .exe to .ex_ (or similar)
Sending it in a zip won't work either. (gmail looks inside those too)

Joklin,

Excellent point re: .exe!! Could have solved the problem on Friday had we thought of it sooner, lol. Sending them an email at Betterking to resend the file as .abc or something else other than .exe.

Jon T.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back