DOD RX8W

Speed_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I am waiting for my new DOD RX8W to arrive at the moment. Going to use it with ADATA 64GB Class 10 MicroSDXC card and planning to hardwire it of course.

In case someone's interested, I ordered it from official DOD distributor in Lithuania. Spent a lot of time searching for shops where it's available as it's still quite new product. In that shop the price was cheapest and customer service just great. They even offered me free shipping.

I want to thank everyone on this forum who helped me to understand dash cam basics and gave me good advices.

Stay tuned for real pics and first impressions! For now some pics I managed to find online.

2015-04-06_08.jpg

2015-03-20_02.jpg

I am not sure how some company can sell "Officially" those mirror DVRs, especially on EU market. Any clip-on mirrors are forbidden because of safety standards !

they're probably an authorised dealer, doesn't make the product legal of course

There could be also the case of The Law @ "read between the lines", similar to Radar Detectors situation in most EU countries, where Using of radar detectors in cars while driving is prohibited, but selling them is not prohibited.

Are they really forbidden in all European countries? Because, like you mentioned, even radar detectors are allowed in some countries.

Are they really forbidden in all European countries? Because, like you mentioned, even radar detectors are allowed in some countries.

they're not certified for use on any recent model vehicle, depends when the standard was updated as to how old a vehicle you need before it would be legal to use but certainly anything in the last 10 years or so they would not be legal to use, are the police going to catch you and make trouble for this, perhaps not, if you had an insurance claim and someone in the vehicle sustained some damage from the mirror (unlikely I think but hey, this is the situation where it's a real problem) then the insurer could deny compensation for that, just something you should be aware of

they're not certified for use on any recent model vehicle, depends when the standard was updated as to how old a vehicle you need before it would be legal to use but certainly anything in the last 10 years or so they would not be legal to use, are the police going to catch you and make trouble for this, perhaps not, if you had an insurance claim and someone in the vehicle sustained some damage from the mirror (unlikely I think but hey, this is the situation where it's a real problem) then the insurer could deny compensation for that, just something you should be aware of

MOT / NCT ( National car test ) also will be failed with clip-on mirror.

I suspect this might happen in some countries like UK, but how can you guys know what does the law say for example in Bulgaria or Poland?

So currently I am testing the camera. Everything seems good except one thing, the mirror is shaking no matter how well I attach the camera mirror to the original one. I believe the shaking is caused by extra weight, not the poor attachment because the velcro straps hold it very well actually. Interesting though that the video footage isn't shaking, because of the stabilization most probably. I will be working on this and try to put something soft in between the mirrors to see if it'll help.

I managed to find a good way of hiding the wire without removing the panels. Haven't done it properly yet though as I want to fix the shaking problem first.

Daytime footage is very good but at night I couldn't see number plates at all. It seems that they are reflecting a lot because of my headlights and this prevents the symbols from being recorded properly.

The display's brightness is adjusted so that in daytime it can be visible only if you are looking at it on purpose. If you're using the mirror you won't even notice it. Therefore at night it is not blinding. In normal use it can be set to stay on for 15 seconds and then turn automatically off. Or can be turned off/on by pressing a button. Very handy.

This mirror cam has lots of nice functions and I haven't found any annoyances/bugs so far. This is why I really hope I will be able to continue using it. Otherwise I will try and return this in exchange to DOD LS460W and start using it with my mirror mount.

Couple of pics attached. Pics with display on need to be taken at night, otherwise it cannot be captured properly.

KkFHmFQl.jpg

fog4F0il.jpg

I am not sure how some company can sell "Officially" those mirror DVRs, especially on EU market. Any clip-on mirrors are forbidden because of safety standards !

Could you point us towards the specific price of legislation regarding this as I am having problems finding it. I notice panoramic wide view mirror attachments are available in stores selling driving aids for the disabled. Would they be classed different?

Could you point us towards the specific price of legislation regarding this as I am having problems finding it. I notice panoramic wide view mirror attachments are available in stores selling driving aids for the disabled. Would they be classed different?

are they glass or plastic?

are they glass or plastic?

Looked back over the half dozen advertised and they just state mirror. No reference to either glass or plastic. Only other one that I could find outwith mobility accessories for a panoramic rear view mirror said it was glass.

Looked back over the half dozen advertised and they just state mirror. No reference to either glass or plastic. Only other one that I could find outwith mobility accessories for a panoramic rear view mirror said it was glass.

if it's glass it needs E Mark approval for any recent (last 10 years or so) vehicle, have yet to see an approved clip on mirror

they 'may' get around this if the mirror is plastic although plastic mirrors make pretty rubbish mirrors for the most part and you probably wouldn't want one anyway

if it's glass it needs E Mark approval for any recent (last 10 years or so) vehicle, have yet to see an approved clip on mirror

they 'may' get around this if the mirror is plastic although plastic mirrors make pretty rubbish mirrors for the most part and you probably wouldn't want one anyway

The Crash Catcher CC3. Is CE, CCC & FCC Approved and has a glass mirror.

so it still has no E Mark approval then, looking at it I doubt it would pass either

Having a CE mark shows that it complies with all EU Health & Safety Legislation requirements. Is that not enough?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DOD 10
Back