About to purchase - need some info

Gil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 2-Ch
Hi all.
I'm about to purchase the dr650gw-2ch and install it on my Mitusbishi Outlander 2014 model.

I already own the power magic box.

For anyone who's been using this camera, is there anything I need to be aware of?
Do I need to be concerned about anything with this camera?
Would you recommend a better camera (regardless of price) after using the dr650gw?

Thanks.

The video quality of the DR650 is not the greatest. It's pretty good, but there are other dashcams on the market that are better. I like the DR650 because of the form factor and the software tying it all together with the 2 channels but the video quality has been frustrating as hell. I bought my 650 when they first came out and there are updates to the firmware since then which have improved the bitrate but those upgrades can cause other issues (like rear camera not working). This is my 4th Blackvue (380, 400, 500, and now 650), best one I had was the 500 and I regret selling it but I really wanted the 2ch system. I am eagerly waiting for Pittasoft to come out with a new 2ch model in the hopes the video quality is much better. So if having the absolute best video quality is more important to you than a seamless 2ch system you may want to keep looking.

What exactly is not good with the video?
How could you describe what doesn't work well with its quality?

Is it the wide angle distortion?
Inability to spot details?

Because the reviews are quite good when it comes to video quality.
So, what am I missing?

It lacks detail. Not terrible but could be better.

As tedpro said most people overlook this for the UI on the phone and form factor.

It lacks detail. Not terrible but could be better.

As tedpro said most people overlook this for the UI on the phone and form factor.

But does the camera capture license plates at a low light situation from X distance? Is the expectation to have cinema like quality?
is there a link that can show a comparison side by side the difference between the BlackVue and another brand to stress the quality of the video?

Getting a plate in low light will likely be challenging. During the day it wouldn't be a problem. You are paying a premium for the size and software interface.

Is there a dashcam that could catch a license plate in low light?
how's the F770 comparing?

What exactly is not good with the video?
How could you describe what doesn't work well with its quality?

Is it the wide angle distortion?
Inability to spot details?

Because the reviews are quite good when it comes to video quality.
So, what am I missing?

It's subtle and hard to describe but basically image noise, just not as easy as you would expect to read license plates, etc.. The video quality from my DR380 and DR500 were better than the DR650, so much so that I thought there was something wrong with my brand new DR650 when I first got it. Also they narrowed the angle of view down from 122° to 108° which really bugged me. The DR650 has less "fisheye" effect at the sides but I didn't like losing that much peripheral vision. If you look around in this forum you'll find plenty of people who have posted about video quality with the 650.

The Blackvue is by no means bad, but it's worth spending some time on Youtube watching video examples from the dash cams you are interested in so you know exactly what to expect. This guy's video for example does a really good job detailing the difference between the DR650 and the Thinkware 770:

Good video. If you need to capture a plate in low light your best bet is to say it out loud so it's on your audio track.

I brought the F770 just as an example. I'm not an expert.
So, currently with the available options in the market, what dashcam would you recommend that you think is decent enough in image quality, built quality, features, wide view, 2 channels and FHD on both?

Current DR650S-2CH video resolution is far better (front cam) than before (decent). Even F770 far superior but I still with my DR650.

Current DR650S-2CH video resolution is far better (front cam) than before (decent). Even F770 far superior but I still with my DR650.

And how's the rear camera quality for the newer model?

And how's the rear camera quality for the newer model?
About between 5.5Mbps to 6Mbps. Increase from previously 4Mbps. By the way, I am using an IR Rear Cam.

If you compare with F770 (where I had it too), well F770 is better. i got 8Mbps for the rear average.

About between 5.5Mbps to 6Mbps. Increase from previously 4Mbps. By the way, I am using an IR Rear Cam.

If you compare with F770 (where I had it too), well F770 is better. i got 8Mbps for the rear average.

So Blackvue has IR rear cam option? how's that working on daylight?
I haven't seen this in the Aussie store I checked.

I have had the 650gw for over a year and my.. biggest frustration is with the intermittent GPS signal / connection meaning the speed shows intermittently...
If.. you are staying with the Blackvue line I would suggest the newer 650S. Blackvue compromised the switch to toggle sound recording to push their cloud feature and the "S" brought that back.. sort of. Perhaps.. the 650S will be capable of better firmware in the future where the 650GW is likely dead as far as (significant) firmware upgrades go.
I am not quite to the point of chucking my 650 in favor of the F 770.. monitoring that forum it has some kinky features as well. (SD cards can fall into a cavity evidently.. and you can't get it back out...and the wiring seems a tad tricky

Last edited:
It's subtle and hard to describe but basically image noise, just not as easy as you would expect to read license plates, etc.. The video quality from my DR380 and DR500 were better than the DR650, so much so that I thought there was something wrong with my brand new DR650 when I first got it. Also they narrowed the angle of view down from 122° to 108° which really bugged me. The DR650 has less "fisheye" effect at the sides but I didn't like losing that much peripheral vision. If you look around in this forum you'll find plenty of people who have posted about video quality with the 650.

The Blackvue is by no means bad, but it's worth spending some time on Youtube watching video examples from the dash cams you are interested in so you know exactly what to expect. This guy's video for example does a really good job detailing the difference between the DR650 and the Thinkware 770:

@Tedpro I like your photo, made me chuckle

Video quality on these is pretty good but certainly not mind blowing. I've had ZERO problems with mine for over a year. I'm totally happy with the purchase and would probably do it again. Here's a recording I took a couple weeks ago. Be sure to open it in Youtube and watch it at 1080p. It looks great until you snap a screenshot and try to zoom in for a license plate #. Granted, conditions were not the best that day and my windshield is tinted.

Back