Broken Git1

Carcam1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Git1 (which has had extremely little use) and found it will longer power on or give any signs of life. It was last used about 1 month ago with zero issues, but when I tried to use it a few days ago I found it would not power on using the on/off button and would also not react to a USB lead being plugged into it. The battery which was left in it still had a charge and successfully powered up another camera I had (a Xiaomi Yi) which suggested to me that the Git1 battery was not faulty. I have since fully charged 2 batteries which still provoked no reaction to it. I have also tried several other USB leads to get the camera to boot under external power - this still gets no reaction such as display, sound or any LED lights.

I have opened the camera up and found no obvious signs of failure- can anyone tell me if there any sort of reset process to these units or any common component failure to look at ?

Disappointing to have a complete failure with only around 2 hours use on it. :(

Leave it without a battery overnight (far longer than necessary) and it should reset.
If that doesn't work, you could try reloading the firmware...

Thx for the suggestions but the camera still didn't react. I had already left the battery out for a couple of days so as to force the energy out of the inbuilt capacitor/memory reserve battery in the hope it would 're-set'. The 1.4 firmware is on the SD card but seeing as the camera doesn't boot at all I dont think the bootloader is functioning enough to re-install a firmware. I think the unit is totally broken.

I'd be prepared to try installing a new pcb mainboard (the one with the main on/off button) in it IF I could get one at very low cost - does anyone know if GitUp can supply these or does anyone have a GIT1 perhaps with a broken case or lcd but with a working mainboard I can salvage from it?

The 1.4 firmware is on the SD card...
If you have left the bootloader on the SD card and the SD card in the camera then that could be your problem, it will appear to do nothing with the bootloader on the card - you would have to remove the bootloader and put the firmware only in instead, turn on, then remove the firmware as well before it will boot properly.

With regard to your question, you should deal with your supplier first, if that doesn't solve the problem then Gitup support may help, finally you could PM user Gitup on here, although he has been a bit busy the last few weeks.

Hi,

I have a Git1 (which has had extremely little use) and found it will longer power on or give any signs of life. It was last used about 1 month ago with zero issues, but when I tried to use it a few days ago I found it would not power on using the on/off button and would also not react to a USB lead being plugged into it. The battery which was left in it still had a charge and successfully powered up another camera I had (a Xiaomi Yi) which suggested to me that the Git1 battery was not faulty. I have since fully charged 2 batteries which still provoked no reaction to it. I have also tried several other USB leads to get the camera to boot under external power - this still gets no reaction such as display, sound or any LED lights.

I have opened the camera up and found no obvious signs of failure- can anyone tell me if there any sort of reset process to these units or any common component failure to look at ?

Disappointing to have a complete failure with only around 2 hours use on it. :(
Gitup sent me a PCB free of charge after my date/time battery failed in my Git2

Thx for the help - I have sent an email to Gitup to see if they can help.

Gitup replied to my query regarding spare parts and have offered to supply the main board at a cost of US$40. I think this is a little excessive and prohibitive to bother proceeding with, given the fact this model is rapidly becoming out of date. If anyone is unlucky enough to break their lens/screen but is still left with a working main board and wants to sell it please let me know. For now my Git1 is going to the back of the desk drawer.

Further to my last message: I have just rec'd a new main board which I purchased from Gitup after they reduced the cost of the delivered board to $25. Although I didnt really want to spend money on a part which might not be the problem I thought I'd take a gamble. Before fitting the new part I compared it to the existing one and found that not all the components have been fitted to the main board - principally the onboard battery (which means no settings will be retained) AND the microphone. These are simply missing.

Given the tiny SMD soldering issues this causes me in swopping over the missing parts I am very unhappy that such an approach has been taken. I seem to remember others had cameras which had faulty onboard soldered batteries and they were supplied with FREE whole boards - are my feelings unreasonable at being short changed? Can anyone else let me know if my board and its missing components are typical of such a replacement part before I inform Gitup.

I will however end this message on a positive - I have fitted the main board (without the missing parts) and soldered on the existing shutter release board (which I knew I would have to do) and found the camera would power on and accept a new firmware. :) It now works but with no sound or retained settings.

We didn't notice the Git1 main board is not complete.
We will ship a new board to you or a replacement to solve the sound issue.

We didn't notice the Git1 main board is not complete.
We will ship a new board to you or a replacement to solve the sound issue.

Many Thx, I have now received a confirmation of shipping from Stella @ Gitup and will await receipt.

I have just received the replacement GIT1 which forum member gitup very kindly arranged to have shipped to me, given their issues with having partially incomplete mainboards.

As a result of their superb customer service I will have no hesitation in ordering a Git3 (or Git4!) from them when released. It is so refreshing to see a manufacturer having such a hands on approach towards customer service and product development and they fully deserve to become a very major player in what has become a crowded market. Top marks Gitup and many thanks from a happy customer!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xmyladylostx Git1 11
T Git1 7
M Git1 8
M Git1 4
srvctec Git1 7
Back