New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

If the price were lower, they had local distributors and they added some features to support dedicated in car use, such as an optional capacitor pack for those in hot climates, then I think they'd sell a lot more units.

If the price were lower, they had local distributors and they added some features to support dedicated in car use, such as an optional capacitor pack for those in hot climates, then I think they'd sell a lot more units.

so increase the specification, improve the support and distribution, and lower the price and they'll sell more, did I miss anything??

so increase the specification, improve the support and distribution, and lower the price and they'll sell more, did I miss anything??

No, but nice commercial sarcasm...

1. It's seems to be missing a few specs for carcam use which are frequently wanted from purchasers from here and are mostly software related eg parking mode.

2. An optional capacitor pack, wouldn't go amiss although no reason why this couldn't be either an accessory or 2 versions of the camera - it's only a matter of putting something different in the box, and price wise, I would bet a li polymer battery costs more to supply than a capacitor pack.

3. It's expensive as car cameras go - one way around this might be 2 versions as I touched on above, a wide angle sports cam with battery pack and a carcam version with 90 degree longer focused lens and capacitors. That way provided the margins are there, you could sell the carcam version much cheaper without losing the greater profit margins from the sports cam market as a narrow angle, longer focused capacitor equipped version wouldn't be of any use for sports use other than maybe drone applications.

4. As for support, touched on this before, many (I would suggest most) Western European citizens don't want to buy from Chinese web retailers because there's often poor support and no legal protection.

eg In the EU, if you buy a product over the web, and don't like it, then you are entitled to return it even if nothing is wrong, even if opened and used (provided still in a new like re-saleable condition - if packing was unavoidably damaged opening it eg memory card in rigid plastic sealed enclosure, sealed plastic bags opened, then damaging the packaging in that way doesn't prevent the return). Also, it's illegal for the retailer to charge restocking or handling fees, and they have to refund the full price of the item including the outbound postage, and the return postage if the terms at checkout didn't exclude the return postage refund (the retailer can't exclude the refund of the outbound postage in any event, he has to accept the loss of that as a business expense). If the product is defective, then again the consumer has a whole raft of legally enforceable rights in respect of replacements or returns that give the consumer quality rights for up to 6 years after purchase.

You get none of that from China, long turn around times for repairs, plus return postage to China is expensive.

That's why EU consumers are often reluctant to buy direct from China.... quite simply no enforceable consumer rights, import taxes and customs issues.

Last edited:
everything you've mentioned about improving the spec and better distribution network etc is all good, it's not going to make it cheaper though

No, but nice commercial sarcasm...

1. It's seems to be missing a few specs for carcam use which are frequently wanted from purchasers from here and are mostly software related eg parking mode.

2. An optional capacitor pack, wouldn't go amiss although no reason why this couldn't be either an accessory or 2 versions of the camera - it's only a matter of putting something different in the box, and price wise, I would bet a li polymer battery costs more to supply than a capacitor pack.

3. It's expensive as car cameras go - one way around this might be 2 versions as I touched on above, a wide angle sports cam with battery pack and a carcam version with 90 degree longer focused lens and capacitors. That way provided the margins are there, you could sell the carcam version much cheaper without losing the greater profit margins from the sports cam market as a narrow angle, longer focused capacitor equipped version wouldn't be of any use for sports use other than maybe drone applications.

4. As for support, touched on this before, many (I would suggest most) Western European citizens don't want to buy from Chinese web retailers because there's often poor support and no legal protection.

eg In the EU, if you buy a product over the web, and don't like it, then you are entitled to return it even if nothing is wrong, even if opened and used (provided still in a new like re-saleable condition - if packing was unavoidably damaged opening it eg memory card in rigid plastic sealed enclosure, sealed plastic bags opened, then damaging the packaging in that way doesn't prevent the return). Also, it's illegal for the retailer to charge restocking or handling fees, and they have to refund the full price of the item including the outbound postage, and the return postage if the terms at checkout didn't exclude the return postage refund (the retailer can't exclude the refund of the outbound postage in any event, he has to accept the loss of that as a business expense). If the product is defective, then again the consumer has a whole raft of legally enforceable rights in respect of replacements or returns that give the consumer quality rights for up to 6 years after purchase.

You get none of that from China, long turn around times for repairs, plus return postage to China is expensive.

That's why EU consumers are often reluctant to buy direct from China.... quite simply no enforceable consumer rights, import taxes and customs issues.

In my view, problem is always the same: these are Action cam, meant to be used for "action", sport....not necessarily as dash cam. Of course, they might be excellent as dash cam (especially because thus fare there are no dash cam with good 4K resolution), but this is not what they are for, and thus I see unlikely that either Xiaomi or GoPro comes with a "capacitor" version of their action cams...also because the few additional units they might sell for dash-cam use would not justify the investment in building a capacitor-based version, with different packaging, distributions, etc....

In regard to distributions though, I fully agree with you: very often the price advantage of buying directly from China is made vain by the high cost in returning the product (if defective) and also custom fees. Having said so, I still believe that if I want to spend about 350.- CHF for a good action cam, I would buy the Xiaomi Yi 4k+ rather than the GoPro 5 (I will still have the risk of not having a good warranty, but thus far with Xiaomi never had any problem, both the the original Xiaomi Yi 2K, and the Xiaomi Yi 4K).

well, is nice to have it all....no custom duties, warranty, support, free return.
Problem comes when you want also to buy cheap.
I accept the "risk" of buying directly from china, and I accept that I will not have first class service (we are talking about gadgets here). I got really few problems: and when I had, a new piece was sent to me.
And on action cam, buy definition they have to be cheap, because the risk of loosing the "investment" is quite high.

well, is nice to have it all....no custom duties, warranty, support, free return.
Problem comes when you want also to buy cheap.
I accept the "risk" of buying directly from china, and I accept that I will not have first class service (we are talking about gadgets here). I got really few problems: and when I had, a new piece was sent to me.
And on action cam, buy definition they have to be cheap, because the risk of loosing the "investment" is quite high.

Self promotion?

Your location clearly says Taiwan, province of China!

Self promotion?

Your location clearly says Taiwan, province of China!

I will never understand why people loose their time in wild assumptions instead of understanding the content.
I don't live anymore in Taiwan.
I bought stuff when I was in taiwan (i think I paid once for custom duties there because the declared amount I think was above 100us) from those same websites as I am buying now.
Feel better now? Should I disclose something else? Is this a reality show forum or what?

guys, today I made a test while driving....I tried my Xiaomi Yi 4K (the 30Fps version). Compared to the footage I have with my Mini 806 or my Xiaomi Yi 2K, the 4k footage of the Yi 4K is amazing. You can see the license plate as nothing before....both in daylight and as well in some dark spots (for example in a not-so-bright garage).

some of you know that I have always been skeptical about using an action cam as dash cam.....but wow....I am now considering using my Xiaomi Yi 4K as dashcam (even if I am afraid of breaking it, as after the hack it is now recording at 120Mbit and I am afraid it might get too warm too fast (especially in summer, under direct sunlight).

Any experience from some folks in the forum?

Feel better now? Should I disclose something else? Is this a reality show forum or what?

If you're going to defend buying exports from China, then expect to be challenged when your location says China!

some of you know that I have always been skeptical about using an action cam as dash cam.....but wow....I am now considering using my Xiaomi Yi 4K as dashcam (even if I am afraid of breaking it, as after the hack it is now recording at 120Mbit and I am afraid it might get too warm too fast (especially in summer, under direct sunlight).

Any experience from some folks in the forum?

I've been using my GoPro Hero 2 for probably a year now, ever since I broke my Mobius M1, and was using it for at least a year before I bought the Mobius M1!

Personally, I've never had any issue with using an action cam as a car cam - after all they are made to be used in car as action cams for cars! I do remove mine every time I leave the car though and have never had an issue with heat or overheating or battery life. You can draw you own conclusions as to how old the GoPro Hero 2 is now. Suffice to say, it's still on the original battery!

The biggest draw back for some of using an action cam is the fact they don't start recording automatically. For me this is no biggy. You mount the cam and press record. Hardly an additional chore. I actually like it as it confirms to me on every journey that it is recording. If it were automatic, I'd probably never notice and so end up not recording sometimes (I do have the LCD back which helps).

The only quality issue I have is night time and the fact the hero 2 isn't as good as the latest cams in the day. However, I doubt daytime is an issue with the Yi 4K and as for night, I'll let you post the pictures.

If you're going to defend buying exports from China, then expect to be challenged when your location says China!
OMG....you'd need to learn a bit to understand that taiwan is not china (there are even customs in btw)....I should expect people are delusional when 90% of their electronic stuff comes from china (iphones and such).
After more than 100 orders to bangood, dozens to gearbest, dx.com, hobbyking...I'd like to say I gather a bit of experience.

Last edited:
Taiwan is a Province and at 390 miles from Tapei to Hangzou, is hardly very far away. That's less than the length of the UK. A far cry from importing from 1/2 waya round the world - 6,000 miles China to UK to be exact.

Also, you stand up for Gearbest, but unless I'm mistaken, there's a whole thread on here from people who've had bad experiences importing via them: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/do-not-buy-from-gearbest.19747/page-6#post-324586

That's why I called you out. You post from China (or a province), in support of buying from China and make positivce claims, when many others experience from at least one of the sites you quote, is reported as far less positive.

Also, as I said above, the EU guarantees it's citizens a whole raft of consumer rights that are Court enforceable that you simply don't get when importing from China. That's why it is desirable for someone such as Yi to have local agents. Failing that, if commissions are the issue, why don't they sell through Ebay and offer 30 day returns, warranties through the auctions? That way the consumer has the comfort of some enforceability and the seller keeps costs low. Another trick at least one other Chinese company has used, was to set up a warehouse in the EU, and distribute EU orders from that warehouse = faster delivery and cheaper returns.

Taiwan is not part of China, there's a long running dispute around that, but it's still an import regardless of the proximity

Yeah i remember Chiang kai shek and his wife soon mei ling ( pardon me if i misspell cant bother with google )
I think she made a famous speech in the UN or was it Congress maybe i cant recall as Taiwanese history seem to be one of the weird things my brain have not stored.

But i do recall it wasent that long ago i saw a program on TV about Taiwanese history and making, but it don't seem to have stuck in my brain like so much other stuff i don't really need to know.

I hope Taiwan will remain a nation of their own, they deserve it and really China don't need it.

Also, you stand up for Gearbest, but unless I'm mistaken, there's a whole thread on here from people who've had bad experiences importing via them: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/do-not-buy-from-gearbest.19747/page-6#post-324586

That's why I called you out. You post from China (or a province), in support of buying from China and make positivce claims, when many others experience from at least one of the sites you quote, is reported as far less positive.

Listen, the more you write, the worse it gets....it is called " province of china" because China (or the P.R.C) consider it a renegade province, but is de facto (not de jure) independent.
Now, you can loose your time in, as you says "calling me out" or sayind I stand for or educate yourself about asian geography and policy which I would recommend.
Normally forum are full of people which have complains, I am not that much surprised.
I can speak for my own experience.
- bangood is way much slower than gearbest (they choose cheaper shipment, but they are mostly cheaper overall).
- Bangood has better stock and they ship nearly as soon as you purchase (at least it looks like).
Banggood has improved a lot since 2 years ago, gearbest is getting better lately.
When I purchase gadgets i don't care much about delivery, I prefer to spend the money I save on (faster) shipment cost to buy MORE (useless) gadgets. That's it. If you found my claim excessively positive or biased be it. I' ll try to sleep at night anyway.....

Is it support EIS when recording 4k 60fps?
or is 4k 60fps the only option that not supported EIS

As i understand it then EIS should work with 4K, and i assume that's both 30 & 60 FPS, but i am not 100% sure.

okay when 60 FPS is not covered, then it must be a compute limitation of the chipset :D

Still none of the others do 4K EIS, or that is the new Sony i think also do it but then it is not EIS but OIS.

Do like the new IS systems where its the sensor moving around and not the optics getting moved, but i still don't get how they can do it, i know the basics but how its done mechanical is beyond me.
And what should it be called SIS ( sensor Image Stabilization ) or are it still OIS but just at the sensor level instead of the lens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back