New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

My mistake. Still not cheap though. From China I'd expect it to be a £40 accessory!

' just saw on Yi technology Facebook page which says the 4k+ cam will be available for order on 3/28

those stabilizers take a LOT of software development, and the motors have to be very minutely controlled. that's why they're expensive.

I was highly disappointed in my feiyu tech gimbal and ended up returning it. hope it turns out better for you.

as for battery life it turns out that the chip is running at a 50% higher clock speed with 2x the cores. So while IPC may have increased with the die shrink, they still had to bump up the clock speed for 4k60.
A9SE is a Dual-core ARM Cortex A9 running at 800 MHz
H2 is a Quad-core ARM Cortex A53 running at 1.2GHz

Just like with most other tech, I will skip a generation. I will sit this one out and keep both of my Yi 4k cameras. Hope we get some software updates in the meantime

those stabilizers take a LOT of software development, and the motors have to be very minutely controlled. that's why they're expensive.

I was highly disappointed in my feiyu tech gimbal and ended up returning it. hope it turns out better for you.

sorry to hear that....I bought recently both the Feiyu SPG Live and the WG 3-axes (for my iPhone 6s and Xiaomi Yi 4K, respectively).

I used the SPG several time, and it is amazing: I really have no word to explain it. Video seems really professional....unbelievable!

I have not tried the WG 3-axes because weather still sucks here and I have not gone out with my mountain bike....but I do expect great things, from what I have seen on youtube and also I experienced with my other gimbal from Feiyu.

Last edited:
well these are interesting... (and can also take action cameras with adapter plate)

well these are interesting... (and can also take action cameras with adapter plate)

Yes, absolutely. I ended up going for the Feiyu because of several positive reviews that convinced me, and also for easy availability in Switzerland (without ordering from China....although it would have been a bit cheaper....). Also the Feiyu SGP allows to mount an action cam (there is even a small adapter provided with the gimbal, specifically for that).

Ne experience myself but found this interesting comparison:

The gimbals are nice, but for the cost of one i have not pulled the trigger + i am also a pretty new action camera user.

I sort of wished i could get one for a nice 4 K camcorder instead as i have no doubt that would what i would use most often.

The gimbals are nice, but for the cost of one i have not pulled the trigger + i am also a pretty new action camera user.

I sort of wished i could get one for a nice 4 K camcorder instead as i have no doubt that would what i would use most often.
4k camcorder is pricey, you could get those sony with B.O.S.S...but the Zhiyun is 139$/149Euro...and you can use with your 4k phone.
Or add the adapter plate (i guess 15$) + Xiaomi II 4k action cam (less than 200$ at gearbest)

I would never record anything with a phone camera, i actually wish i could get cheaper phones with no cameras in them.
Action cameras i can do with though they do have a limited use.
In general i would prefer to use my Nikon Dslr for photos or very short videos, and for video i prefer a camcorder though i no longer have one, and it don't have to be a 4K one, but it would be nice.

Only thing i use my phone camera for is take pictures of small text so i can read it better on phone screen, and that will end the day i can man up and go get some glasses for reading.

Okay my new phone is 4K, but really the camera is not that good that i would use it for anything worth sharing. ( UMI Z )

And i hope soon i can throw my phone away, but right now i need one so my old mother and father can get hold of me, but as soon as they are gone so is phones from my pockets.

I personally feel talking to friends ( i just have one ) and family on a phone is a insult to them, and i feel the same when they call me, so they all understand not to do that unless it is very important ( i get 3-4 calls every week on average from the 7 - 8 people that have my unlisted number )

I would never record anything with a phone camera, i actually wish i could get cheaper phones with no cameras in them.
Action cameras i can do with though they do have a limited use.
In general i would prefer to use my Nikon Dslr for photos or very short videos, and for video i prefer a camcorder though i no longer have one, and it don't have to be a 4K one, but it would be nice.

Only thing i use my phone camera for is take pictures of small text so i can read it better on phone screen, and that will end the day i can man up and go get some glasses for reading.

Okay my new phone is 4K, but really the camera is not that good that i would use it for anything worth sharing. ( UMI Z )

The issue is that the phone is always with you and the camera is becoming pretty decent.
Moreover you can use those apps like FILMicPRo which lets you manually control all camera parameters.
You can even add decent anamorphic lenses (moondoglabs)

Unfortunately, the only gimbal for a 4K camcorder (I have the Sony FDR-AX100) I found is the one from DJI Ronin, but it costs a fortune.....so the only cheap solution IMHO is a steadycam, which is however much more complex to balance and use.... :-(

Yes some phone cameras are becoming really good, but they lack the zoom which is often needed when you cant get really close to something.
Okay some phones also have a little optical zoom too, and that is nice.
Also i think the phones are stupid to handle as a camera, i cant seem to keep my fingers out of the picture ( maybe that's why so many use their phone camera wrong with vertical pictures and video )
And yes most people have the phone, and so they can take a selfie everywhere or take a picture of something they are fairly close to.
But i rarely want to document something i am pretty close to.
For my photo camera i prefer setups where you put the camera on the lens, and not the other way around ( cuz the lens are so big )
I like to photograph and video nature, and there you often cant get that close.

I have been photographing all i want to photograph for several decades, and true a few times i have found myself in a situation where i wished i had my camera.
But for a old person like me that have not quite caught the same sickness for documenting and sharing just about anything, the times where i wished i had a camera is pretty few.

As you might guess with such opinions about some things i do not have any social media account, okay i do have 2 youtube accounts but i don't really call that social media, at least not compared with facebook and similar stupid sites.
I also don't understand why the videos i have put on my youtube channel are public, they are mostly videos just sharing with my 1 friend, and maybe that's why i ( thank god ) don't have many followers there.
I also don't follow any youtube accounts, i have some as bookmarks but i don't use youtubes follow / subscribe function.
Actually this site is also the only site where i use the like button, and that also confuse me cuz i really don't like those either.

well, you can choose among youtube options to make yr video not possible to see unless someone has the DIRECT link (I mean they cannot search & find and are not listed on your channel, only you can see them there).
Another solution might be a sony rx100 with the Zhiyun Crane M gimbal...

well, you can choose among youtube options to make yr video not possible to see unless someone has the DIRECT link (I mean they cannot search & find and are not listed on your channel, only you can see them there).
Another solution might be a sony rx100 with the Zhiyun Crane M gimbal...

Indeed...if I were shooting with a "compact camera" or a reflex, there would be many more gimbal at an afordable price (i.e. below 500 CHF).

Problem is....I am a Canon user, and thus far Canon does not offer 4K shooting (which is the only resolution I shoot), unless the expensive EOS C300 (which IMHO is not a true reflex, but rather a camcorder with the body of a reflex...I mean...I would never see myself using it for photo....). I also have a lot of gears for 4K already (Sony FDR-AX100 and Panasonic FZ-300, without considering Xiaomi Yi 4k)....so buying a mirrorless, or a GH4/GH5 or a compact (such as the Sony RX-100 IV or V) is unfortunately not an option right now for my wallet... :-(

I found a video with a lot of info on the two 4K yi cameras ( the old Vs the new )

I do like the ISO MIN and MAX feature :cool:

terrible audio

well...they are still action cams after all....also the GoPro 4 or 5 is not great in terms of audio....

In any case, as with the GoPro 5, with the Yi 4k+ it is possible to use an external microphone (via the USB Type-C connection). Question is whether someone really wants to do that....I cannot see myself running around with my gimbal and also an external microphone with an action cam....would rather go with my Sony FDR-AX100 and a Rode shotgun mic if I really need something a bit more professional looking.... :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back