A119 as Home Security Camera 24/7

SuperGoop

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is anyone using the A119 as a 24/7 Home Security Camera in "Time-Lapsed Mode"? It is working well for me so far. I simply stick it on to my window. Easy, done! I even use the GPS so that it will automatically keep accurate time (to the second!).

1) A 64GB SD card can record around 7 days (24/7) @ 1-frame per second Time-lapsed.

2) The SD card is overwritten once every 7 days, which is actually less frequent than regular dashcam inside my vehicle, so wear on the memory card should not be an issue.

3) Temperature is not an issue because it is inside the house.

4) The A119 uses capacitors, so there is no battery to worry about.

5) Even at night, the A119 captures very well (with just typical street and house lights).

6) The A119 can be mounted low to capture faces and license plates. Typical home cameras are ceiling mounted, which doesn't capture faces or license plates very well.

7) I tested "Motion Detection" mode, but I prefer Time-lapsed because it will capture everything 24/7. Motion Detection has a delay and detects motion only around up to 30 feet out.

8) The Rotating Lens on the A119 is very useful as a Home Security Camera.

Seems to me that the A119 can be an inexpensive and easily installed 24/7 Security Home camera. Of course, there is no cloud storage, or that it can be stolen, etc., but it is useful to capture (and time-stamp) the daily activities around your house.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Is anyone using the A119 as a 24/7 Home Security Camera in "Time-Lapsed Mode"? It is working well for me so far. I simply stick it on to my window. Easy, done! I even use the GPS so that it will automatically keep accurate time (to the second!).

1) A 64GB SD card can record around 7 days (24/7) @ 1-frame per second Time-lapsed.

2) The SD card is overwritten once every 7 days, which is actually less frequent than regular dashcam inside my vehicle, so wear on the memory card should not be an issue.

3) Temperature is not an issue because it is inside the house.

4) The A119 uses capacitors, so there is no battery to worry about.

5) Even at night, the A119 captures very well (with just typical street and house lights).

6) The A119 can be mounted low to capture faces and license plates. Typical home cameras are ceiling mounted, which doesn't capture faces or license plates very well.

7) I tested "Motion Detection" mode, but I prefer Time-lapsed because it will capture everything 24/7. Motion Detection has a delay and detects motion only around up to 30 feet out.

8) The Rotating Lens on the A119 is very useful as a Home Security Camera.

Seems to me that the A119 can be an inexpensive and easily installed 24/7 Security Home camera. Of course, there is no cloud storage, or that it can be stolen, etc., but it is useful to capture (and time-stamp) the daily activities around your house.

What do you think?
You are one clever fellow, you just saved me money for security cameras for my business

Just one concern:

A security cam should constantly transfer video to a safe place. If an intruder steals your cam, you will lose the cam AND the video. So you should protect and/or hide the camera (if your local law allows you to do so).

Just one concern:

A security cam should constantly transfer video to a safe place. If an intruder steals your cam, you will lose the cam AND the video. So you should protect and/or hide the camera (if your local law allows you to do so).
+1

Just one concern:

This cam is so stealth that's it a non issue.

Hi
SuperGoop Good idea.

I have a friend who has a dog walker every evening that lets his dog poo on his lawn. He can never see who the culprit is. He has a sign up asking for it to stop but the dog can't read, :) and the owner is uncaring. We hope it is not the owner doing the pooing.

Any way , you have a good idea there mate and I will have to look at my existing collection of cams to see which one will perform that duty for him.

The A119 image quality and resolution is also much better than the average home security camera. The image is much more useable for identification.

I think it is also great for checking what has happened around your home, deliveries, vandals, prowlers, trespassers, dog walkers, etc.

I typically won't be checking the videos until I need to see what, and precisely when, something occurred. I think it is great for that purpose.

the cheapest hikvision 4mp mini bullet camera would be better suited..... PoE, waterproof, ir, WDR, networked.... and around the same price.

the cheapest hikvision 4mp mini bullet camera would be better suited..... PoE, waterproof, ir, WDR, networked.... and around the same price.
Correct me, but isn't that just a camera, and you still need a recording surveillance device to operate it? The A119 (without GPS) is around US$60 at Gearbest, whereas the Hikvision is around US$145 plus recording device, hard drive, etc. ?

I also noticed the Hikvison has only around 70 degrees FOV at max resolution, which may not be enough for some people unless there are multiple cameras.

Also, you need to run wires which is not as simple as a quick stick-on install.

Last edited:
For home security camera,we suggest you game trail camera,it will be more proper

Dash and action cams are not the best choice for this purpose by far. But if it is doing what you want it to successfully there can be no arguing that success. My Mobius runs 24/7 because it is serving a similar service due to where I park and because I don't yet have anything else to perform that function better. It's not designed for such severe service but so far it handles it well :D If it died overnight I can have no complaint for it was never designed to be used this way.

You and I both need to invest in equipment made for our purposes instead of trying to adapt something else to the job. I'm going to do that as soon as I can and I hope you are too ;) Decent 2 cam security set-ups can occasionally be found on sale for as little as ~$200. That's about the same cost per cam. To me anyway it seems a much better way to go, especially when with the system I have my eye on I can economically upgrade to better cams as well as add 2 more later on if I want to. With my Mobius it's doing all that is possible with it already and doing that more poorly.

So that is what I think. I do hope you'll keep us updated with how well it's working for you since IMHO if a dashcam can handle the abuse of 24/7 operation then that is a sign of excellent quality and an indication of it's value when used properly.

Phil

That's not a bad idea... I was originally thinking of using my old a118c as a side cam in my car but just haven't had the motivation to do that. I can plug it in and stick it in a dormer window above the garage to monitor the front of my house instead. I think it has time lapse mode or something similar...

Update, I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for around 1 month now. Works perfectly. No issues whatsoever.

My 64GB SD card can save around 7 days of recording before the oldest videos are overwritten.

Interesting sometimes to see activities occurring in the middle of the night.

Dash and action cams are not the best choice for this purpose by far. But if it is doing what you want it to successfully there can be no arguing that success. My Mobius runs 24/7 because it is serving a similar service due to where I park and because I don't yet have anything else to perform that function better. It's not designed for such severe service but so far it handles it well :D If it died overnight I can have no complaint for it was never designed to be used this way.

Phil
I have a spare Mobius and I'm considering to use it as a home security camera just by adding a simple 220v AC to 5V DC 1Amp USB converter. What could possibly go wrong, provided I protect it from sunlight and rain/snow and extreme cold?

Actually,Mobius features with easy-plug battery or capacitor power source,you can use this capacitor based camera+hardwire kit for park mode!

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 4 months now! Works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I recently updated to the latest firmware 2.06 (May 22, 2017).

Do you put out unused items on the curb for free, and wonders who and when someone collects it? This setup allows me to see that!

Good idea, simple and effective! Seems like the a119 is very reliable. I always take a mobius in motion detection on vacation to guard the place we stay at, works great.
I also have and love the a119 for my car but for the house i have hikvision camera's that do 20fps in 2k resolution and only record when there is movement in a spot you can select on the screen. On ebay one camera costs the same as the a119 but can be accessed from anywhere. It's a little more work to set them up but they have been reliable since.

I have had the new A119S V2 for 2 weeks and often use it full time during the day for home security ( 1280 x 720P 30fps ) and it works flawlessly with a 64gb card

This was originally meant for the car until I thought of home security and how good the videos are so now Im gonnna have to get another one........... for the car :D

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 4 months now! Works perfectly. No issues whatsoever....

I have had the new A119S V2 for 2 weeks and often use it full time during the day for home security ( 1280 x 720P 30fps ) and it works flawlessly with a 64gb card...

Just about the time I get my 'addiction' under control you guys start posting about doing stuff like this. Please stop..... :banghead: :smuggrin:

Just about the time I get my 'addiction' under control you guys start posting about doing stuff like this. Please stop..... :banghead: :smuggrin:
LOL

Back