Please don't change the firmware language

JPack

Reaction score
Country
United States
New Yi Dash Camera owners,

Please do not take the risk of converting your camera from Chinese to English firmware, especially if you have a black colored (action/power) version of the camera. It's sad to see so many new posters asking for help on unbricking their new purchase.

Even if you successfully convert your camera, the only benefit is an English menu. With the original Chinese firmware, you can control all camera settings through the English app available through the App Store.

The camera interface is so easy to use, a child could master it. Each setting is simply a toggle. English is not needed.

To top it off, the Chinese firmware is a couple versions newer than the English/international version. As of today, the latest Chinese firmware for the Yi Smart Dash Camera is 1.03.028 while the English firmware is 1.03.026. The Yi Dash Camera (action version) is 1.03.034 with no corresponding English firmware.

New Yi Dash Camera owners,

Please do not take the risk of converting your camera from Chinese to English firmware, especially if you have a black colored (action/power) version of the camera. It's sad to see so many new posters asking for help on unbricking their new purchase.

Even if you successfully convert your camera, the only benefit is an English menu. With the original Chinese firmware, you can control all camera settings through the English app available through the App Store.

The camera interface is so easy to use, a child could master it. Each setting is simply a toggle. English is not needed.

To top it off, the Chinese firmware is a couple versions newer than the English/international version. As of today, the latest Chinese firmware for the Yi Smart Dash Camera is 1.03.028 while the English firmware is 1.03.026. The Yi Dash Camera (action version) is 1.03.034 with no corresponding English firmware.
But after I convert it to English, I realized it have Hard Acceleration, Hard Brake, Forward Collision Warning, and Driving Time information features :D

But after I convert it to English, I realized it have Hard Acceleration, Hard Brake, Forward Collision Warning, and Driving Time information features :D

I can't tell if you're joking, but those features are there on the Chinese firmware as well.

I can't tell if you're joking, but those features are there on the Chinese firmware as well.
Before I convert it to English, I just don't understand what the camera want to inform me at the end of each trip. Apparently she wanted to make me a more fuel-efficient driver :D

All of those are useless features.:(:D

All of those are useless features.:(:D
It's quite interesting for me since I still in research to control tail/brake light based on declaration speed using Arduino and accelerometer sensor :D

In my opinion, hard acceleration counter information useful to build a better driving style.

It's quite interesting for me since I still in research to control tail/brake light based on declaration speed using Arduino and accelerometer sensor :D

In my opinion, hard acceleration counter information useful to build a better driving style.
OK,to me those features are useless,but if you going to improve your driving skills,it is for a good cause,I would say Good luck with that,just go on.[emoji2]

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

I just bought the dashcam (Serial CCBAA) and just updated the FW to 1.30.34-CN through the android app, but these features remain absent. There's no ADAS feature in the cam (as far as I can understand the menu icons <not the text :p ). I really wonder...

I just bought the dashcam (Serial CCBAA) and just updated the FW to 1.30.34-CN through the android app, but these features remain absent. There's no ADAS feature in the cam (as far as I can understand the menu icons <not the text :p ). I really wonder...

You bought the less expensive Power Edition (black) which doesn't have ADAS.

You bought the less expensive Power Edition (black) which doesn't have ADAS.
Ow, really??? Are you sure? I should complain the seller then as they describe ADAS in the product description...

Ow, really??? Are you sure? I should complain the seller then as they describe ADAS in the product description...

100% as the firmware version and serial number you mentioned is for Power Edition only.

Many sellers outside of China misrepresent the Power Edition as the Standard Edition because the Power Edition is much cheaper to purchase.

On Prime Day, Amazon.cn was selling the Power Edition for 199 RMB. Compared with 279 RMB for the Standard Edition. That's like a US$10 difference.

100% as the firmware version and serial number you mentioned is for Power Edition only.

Many sellers outside of China misrepresent the Power Edition as the Standard Edition because the Power Edition is much cheaper to purchase.

On Prime Day, Amazon.cn was selling the Power Edition for 199 RMB. Compared with 279 RMB for the Standard Edition. That's like a US$10 difference.
Nice explanation, thanks...
Some online sellers are just not honest about their product :(
The price was a bit cheaper, indeed

Nice explanation, thanks...
Some online sellers are just not honest about their product :(
The price was a bit cheaper, indeed
It is easy to know what you will get. If black color item,it is the Power Edition;if grey or golden color,this is the standard edition.

Guys, besides the lack of enlish language, what's your verdict on the Black Edition?

I presume we're talking about this one:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/202079323622

I'm looking for something cheap, but with good quality day and night, this seems to have it all, it uses an YI A12 dual core Processor and Sony Exmor CMOS sensor (mentioned here: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/202079279259), so that should be OK?

Or sould I pay 10 bucs more for the grey international version?? Which one has best recording in 1080p/30? Of course 60fps is nice but not really needed. Has grey one with 60fps better recording in night rides than black one with 30fps?

Most important for me is reliability, best sharp footage, best night recording. I live in Netherlands, so outside temperature doesn't often raises over 25 degree C.

It needs to be mounted an a vertical glass screen behind my seat (in the midle of the truck's cabine) so it records me and the things that can be seen through the front and side windscreens.

The only downsides would seem to be no 1080/60 fps just 1080/30, but honestly I don't really need that, and it's only in Chinese, but through the app you can use English I believe?

Anyone here with experience with this Black Edition?

I have some expirience with grey intenational version and can only answer a part of your question which is 1080P 60fps isnt recommended by Yi to record at night time condition,if I remember good. Temperature in your country shouldnt be a problem,but many of Yi dashcams have a heat related focus issues.

I have some expirience with grey intenational version and can only answer a part of your question which is 1080P 60fps isnt recommended by Yi to record at night time condition,if I remember good. Temperature in your country shouldnt be a problem,but many of Yi dashcams have a heat related focus issues.

hmm, that may be the reason for the low prices I guess....

there will be summer days of course where the heat in the parked truck may rise to levels that might get the cam out of focus.

When that happens, is the OOF permanent, or does it correct itself after cool down?

hmm, that may be the reason for the low prices I guess....

there will be summer days of course where the heat in the parked truck may rise to levels that might get the cam out of focus.

When that happens, is the OOF permanent, or does it correct itself after cool down?
It should be corrected after cool down, I had a problem with vibrations from vehicles engine ( diesel ) when cold,my videos have a jelly effect until I figured it out whats the problem.

It should be corrected after cool down, I had a problem with vibrations from vehicles engine ( diesel ) when cold,my videos have a jelly effect until I figured it out whats the problem.

And the problem was the diesel vibrations creating the jelly effect I presume? All my cams do that, especially when idling... so that's nothing to feel shocked about, well, not to me anyway.

Well, of course trucks in Europe are 99.999999% diesels, so.... haha, but yeah, I am looking for the best possible solution for low cash....

The Yi's have a good rep for video quality, simlpicity and reliablillity, am I correct?

As far as I know the BLACK (or Power) version has better heat resistance than the grey/gold ones? But if it's only the 1080p/30 that reduces the heat, then I can also use the grey one on 1080p/30, and use it for other purposes (family, vacation etc) in higher framerate?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Yi Dash Cam 1
kobo Yi Dash Cam 2
Back