my dashcam not working..

shimon10121

Reaction score
Country
Israel
hey ...
My camera after 10 hours stops working, gets stuck.
All the lamps are on and off and just do not respond

In all versions it stops working and gets stuck ..
blackvue dr650 2 channels ..
I am using an original blackvue 16G memory card

It's hot outside and the camera is very hot, is there a chance it's because of that? Always in parking mode it happens

img_1154-jpg.31584

Last edited:
It's probably just hot.

The 650 can do that once the unit hits 140°f & above, according to support folks. Even on a cool day you can touch the camera in park mode and it feels like it's at least 105°. On a bright summer day inside car temperatures can rise over 40°. So if summer temperatures are in the mid-90s & the unit is running in the park mode, the camera is prone to drop like Miz Pac-Man. Support suggested we put a sunshade over it. LOL, like the camera would do a lot of good covered with a sunshade.

Why do makers not use a peltier element for a bit of cooling ?

It's a mystery to me.

It's a tiny little electronic device use to diffuse heat from 1 area to the other side of the device.

Why do makers not use a peltier element for a bit of cooling ?

A few possible reasons: Cost, power consumption,and engineering effort. Of these the power consumption is the big problem- Peltier thermocouples become very inefficient at higher power levels and one which would cool a cam decently would likely draw at least a couple amps all by itself :rolleyes: Interesting devices but not always practical. I have a small soft cooler with one that will run a large car battery down in about 3 hours :eek: I keep it only for emergency medicine cooling and transportation uses where the engine will be running throughout the usage ;)

Phil

(y)
It's a tiny little electronic device use to diffuse heat from 1 area to the other side of the device.
You can send me a link, see how it looks. And it connects on the camera?

I just put it on the camera? Or I need to open the camera and put the component inside ...

Thank you very much

It would work best inside the cam and would require it's own power source and possibly it's own control circuity. Not a beginner-level project and has never been done with a dashcam as far as I know, just a possibility we are discussing here ;)

Phil

(y)
You can send me a link, see how it looks. And it connects on the camera?
just go to eBay & search "thermoelectric Peltier Refrigeration Cooling kit fan DIY". You'll find that a properly sized unit would basically double the footprint area of your camera, draw an additional 120w, & look ugly as all get out. Of course the upside would be that you could theoretically reduce the cameras' operating temperature about 30° when exposed (through the windshield) to direct summer sun. Ie, not very practical. We have a Peltier refrigerator on our electric boat. You run the current backwards (reverse 12v polarity) & it becomes a food warmer.
;)
They're not extremely efficient as a food/beverage cooler - such that if outside temps are 100° - the inside of the fridge only drops to about 60°.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J DR650S 12
GPSMapper DR650S 10
B DR650S 5
shimon10121 DR650S 11
Back