Thinkware F800 in Best Buy soon for $299

rdash

Reaction score
http://www.thinkware.com/Buzz/newsView?idx=50

Looks like they just announced the F800 will be out later this month and is Best Buy at a cost of $299.

"THINKWARE DASH CAM is the highest selling dash cam brand in the competitive Korean market and its award-winning dash cam devices are now available in the US and throughout Europe. The THINKWARE F800 Dash Cam will be available starting in July at Best Buy, retailing for $299."

Is the " air" version an add on or a different camera? I feel like it is a bit confusing but seems like there might be an air and not air version. I would assume air having cloud features and other one not.

I am wondering if one could tie the cloud based actions to a car system like Ford pass which is a cellular connection. It naturally times out to protect the battery on prolong parking so would protect from depletion. I really would like a parking mode motion sensor camera that can remote notify off cellular without being overly complex.

Is the " air" version an add on or a different camera? I feel like it is a bit confusing but seems like there might be an air and not air version. I would assume air having cloud features and other one not.

I am wondering if one could tie the cloud based actions to a car system like Ford pass which is a cellular connection. It naturally times out to protect the battery on prolong parking so would protect from depletion. I really would like a parking mode motion sensor camera that can remote notify off cellular without being overly complex.

From what ive been reading, the air will be an entirely different model launching in september/october.

Even we have had mixed information from Thinkware about the F800 / F800 Air. The latest news and i think this is correct is they are the same camera and the air will be added via software update later in the year!

so what's the difference between this and the ff770 (or even f750) - seems only this "format free" thing..?

Uses a third of the power of others in parking mode, New Sony Starvis lens, Ambrella A12 processor so Super Night Vision works whilst driving now. The lens is very impressive they say if you can see something with your naked eye at night the camera should also see it. Ability to software upgrade it in the future to use the Cloud (WiFi hotspot required no Sim goes in the camera) that's the main things that spring to mind. You should be able to view a few sample clips in this folder, these are from a Pre Production unit

https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...zDK9kXKzI&expiration=2017-11-10T15:25:37.000Z

The time lapse with no street lights is a bit annoying as i have a zebra crossing near me and that light never goes off.

Is this with IMX291 for both the front and rear?

Hmm, so Ambarella currently supports two IMX291 sensors, whereas Novatek doesn't.

is it an advantage though, video performance is nothing special when the processor can't do better than 20mbit combined for two data streams, would look a lot better without that limitation

It will be interesting if it would include front and rear camera at the $299 price point

For the less read in folk how do you all expect the F800 to compare to say the blackvue dr650? Specs wise as I am sure there is not really much hands on so far.

For the less read in folk how do you all expect the F800 to compare to say the blackvue dr650? Specs wise as I am sure there is not really much hands on so far.

I'd expect it's going to be a better product than the Blackvue, the existing F750 and F770 are better devices, it's probably going to have better rear video than the F770 but I think they took a step backwards with the design on the F800, the F770 looks neater and is more discrete, would probably still choose the F770 over the F800 due to the design differences

Will the existing USB cable continue to work if I just replace the cameras?

This i am not 100% sure yet as i haven't seen the new rear camera at this point. My suspicion is the rear camera will have the same micro usb connector but not FACT!

I'd expect it's going to be a better product than the Blackvue, the existing F750 and F770 are better devices, it's probably going to have better rear video than the F770 but I think they took a step backwards with the design on the F800, the F770 looks neater and is more discrete, would probably still choose the F770 over the F800 due to the design differences

I can see what your saying here as the F800 is more F750 design but smaller. I think this is personal choice as i always liked the F750 design more than the F770 in some ways!

What does "format free" mean? It writes raw data to the card?

What does "format free" mean? It writes raw data to the card?

I don't know the full technical details of how it works but it was explained to me by Thinkware as rather than scattering data all over the memory card it puts it all on in a nice order so there almost no chance of it getting corrupted. However you can still format the memory card from a button on the camera as an extra precaution. The memory card still ends up with mp4 files on it.

This i am not 100% sure yet as i haven't seen the new rear camera at this point. My suspicion is the rear camera will have the same micro usb connector but not FACT!

I can see what your saying here as the F800 is more F750 design but smaller. I think this is personal choice as i always liked the F750 design more than the F770 in some ways!

The rear camera for the F800 looks identical to the F770 and F750 and X500. Heck, the only thing that is different is the model number and a tiny sticker on the rear camera box that say "F800". If you plug a F770 rear camera into the F800 you will get the infamous Thinkware boot loop.

Back