The new Xiaomi Mijia Mini - 4K and Touch screen for under a £100!

bobflyman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My latest camera test and I think a winner from Xiaomi. The Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K Touch screen, native 4K, EIS stabilised and good quality video for under a £100. (£80 on the Banggood link and a 20% coupon code as well.) It's the baby sister of the Xiaomi yi2 4K which is a benchmark for budget 4K touchscreen cameras. (It's actually slightly bigger, so not sure why they call it 'mini'?) But it's half the price of that, or the SJCam SJ7 Star which is I think it's nearest rival. Doesn't come with accessories but I bought a waterproof case for less than £10 from Banggood and you'd need a couple of stand offs and slide in mounts. (Cheap on Amazon. GoPro ones should fit too.) Easy operation with touch screen though a small downside was instructions and user interface were in Chinese when I got it. A firmware update fixes that. (And hopefully it will be shipped in English soon anyway.) I've detailed how to do the update in comments. Follow carefully or you could brick the camera of course as with any FW update.
This camera lens has a 145 deg AOV, less than 170 AOV of most action cameras. A lot of people will like that and complain about the distorted fisheye effect of the usual wide angle. Video quality, sharpness, and colours were really good and they claim a battery life of 3 hours at 1080 60 fps. (have't tested that yet.) Test clips on my video , including a motorbiking clip. Definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a camera.
more details on Banggood link here. Restocking at the moment. 20% off coupon code: 20Mijia4K

Actually, Xiaoyi (Yi) and Xiaomi (Mi) have parted ways a long time ago.

This Xiaomi Mijia 4K Action Camera is not the baby sister of the Xiaoyi Yi 4K Action Camera. But a competitor to Yi action cameras.

This is Xiaomi's first action camera under their Mijia branding like their Mijia dashcam.

This is a great value for money 4K action cam.

Thanks for the information, I had no idea about this. It looks and feels so much like the yi2 as well. Great value camera.

My latest camera test and I think a winner from Xiaomi. The Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K Touch screen, native 4K, EIS stabilised and good quality video for under a £100. (£80 on the Banggood link and a 20% coupon code as well.) It's the baby sister of the Xiaomi yi2 4K which is a benchmark for budget 4K touchscreen cameras. (It's actually slightly bigger, so not sure why they call it 'mini'?) But it's half the price of that, or the SJCam SJ7 Star which is I think it's nearest rival. Doesn't come with accessories but I bought a waterproof case for less than £10 from Banggood and you'd need a couple of stand offs and slide in mounts. (Cheap on Amazon. GoPro ones should fit too.) Easy operation with touch screen though a small downside was instructions and user interface were in Chinese when I got it. A firmware update fixes that. (And hopefully it will be shipped in English soon anyway.) I've detailed how to do the update in comments. Follow carefully or you could brick the camera of course as with any FW update.
This camera lens has a 145 deg AOV, less than 170 AOV of most action cameras. A lot of people will like that and complain about the distorted fisheye effect of the usual wide angle. Video quality, sharpness, and colours were really good and they claim a battery life of 3 hours at 1080 60 fps. (have't tested that yet.) Test clips on my video , including a motorbiking clip. Definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a camera.
more details on Banggood link here. Restocking at the moment. 20% off coupon code: 20Mijia4K
I bought one earlier this week from GearBest. There's a discussion and some reviews on the camera here: Xiaomi Mijia Action Camera
It's also under £100 direct from Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B075DFQQ7F

My latest camera test and I think a winner from Xiaomi. The Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K Touch screen, native 4K, EIS stabilised and good quality video for under a £100. (£80 on the Banggood link and a 20% coupon code as well.) It's the baby sister of the Xiaomi yi2 4K which is a benchmark for budget 4K touchscreen cameras. (It's actually slightly bigger, so not sure why they call it 'mini'?) But it's half the price of that, or the SJCam SJ7 Star which is I think it's nearest rival.
Will you be comparing against the SJ7 STar, ThiEYE t5e and Firefly S8 that you reviewed recently?

Yes at some point. I've just finished Xiaomi Mijia Mini vs Xiaomi yi2 , it should be online tomorrow. As was pointed out to me, they are in fact made by different companies. The clue is in the word Mijia!

Will you be comparing against the SJ7 STar, ThiEYE t5e and Firefly S8 that you reviewed recently?
None of them can stabilise the 4K video, seems like they have a big disadvantage to me! It is only the Yi2 and GoPro Hero 6 that are competitors...

I noticed that too, very weird. I have no explanation?

It does seem odd that it covers less field of view with more pixels. Is it true 4k? Maybe it needs more pixels around the edge for the EIS to work.

Yes, good point. EIS does cost a bit of sensor area. The worse the movement the greater the area lost.

None of them can stabilise the 4K video, seems like they have a big disadvantage to me! It is only the Yi2 and GoPro Hero 6 that are competitors...
The Xiaomi Mijia cannot stabilise 4K either. Only up to 1080p60

I don't think it's a huge disadvantage. I know very few people who can edit 4k? I was talking to someone who works in a college and teaches video and photography, she said the computers in the college struggle with it. My pc takes hours to render even a short clip, and in any case I don't have a 4k monitor or 4k t.v. to view it on. Ok, you can crop and use part of the frame in good resolution, but as far as I'm concerned that's about it. 4k for you tube is a waste of time due to compression, it's only real use is for commercial broadcasters.

I don't think it's a huge disadvantage. I know very few people who can edit 4k? I was talking to someone who works in a college and teaches video and photography, she said the computers in the college struggle with it. My pc takes hours to render even a short clip, and in any case I don't have a 4k monitor or 4k t.v. to view it on. Ok, you can crop and use part of the frame in good resolution, but as far as I'm concerned that's about it. 4k for you tube is a waste of time due to compression, it's only real use is for commercial broadcasters.

i'm not sure where but i have read that youtube applies much less compression to 4k uploads than it does to 1080p uploads. i'm inclined to believe that from what i've seen on my own 1080P and 4K uploads.

i'm not sure where but i have read that youtube applies much less compression to 4k uploads than it does to 1080p uploads

Indeed just watch these 2 videos, one original 1080p / 60 the other same 1080 upscaled to 4K / 30, both edited with same parameters and output as 40 mbit from pinnacle studio 20 ultimate.

Just pause the 1080p video at a blocky time and stop the 4K video at the same time mark and you will see

Indeed just watch these 2 videos, one original 1080p / 60 the other same 1080 upscaled to 4K / 30, both edited with same parameters and output as 40 mbit from pinnacle studio 20 ultimate.

Just pause the 1080p video at a blocky time and stop the 4K video at the same time mark and you will see

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do we upscale 1080p to 4K??

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do we upscale 1080p to 4K??
A good video editor will let you open a 1080p file, then export it as 4K. It will have to make up the missing pixels, just like resizing a photo.

Back