The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Videos from Youtube? Playing T5e MP4 files from cam or copied to PC.
I only noticed this "problem" when people started uploading videos in 60fps. The only way I can watch them on my computer is to change the resolution to 480p, which is kind of an absurdity in this day and age. The 50fps videos play smoothly and with minimal CPU cores' stress. I don't have any camera that can do 50 or 60fps to play the files directly, so YouTube is my only source.

so what's about the Furibee F60 "allwinner V3"....they repeatedly claim "4k@30 but page 1 said 4k@15.
Now is like 25$ on gearbest....

Last month I bought an action Cam.... It's the worst quality that I´ve saw in my life

Another one fake 4K: National Geographic Motion Pro 4K 16 MP
Manufacturer: BRESSER

It is a clone of the Panoera z10

Supposedly incorporates 4K 3840x2160/24 fps:
Chip: NOVATEK96660
CMOS: IMX117

The true resolution when recording in 4k is 2880x2160..... FAKE!!!!

I was playing around with a Nikon A900 at work today and decided to do a quick 4K comparison outdoors with my phone... It intrigued me that the A900 doesn't offer 1080p 120. Which I know on a lot of the unbranded cams is often a sign of fake 4K... To me the Nikon A900 it super crunchy and contrasty and lacking detail. Very poor performance, imho, not what I expected from Nikon. What do you think?

100% Crop A900:
a900-crop.jpg

100% Crop Smartphone:
lg-g4-crop.jpg

Last edited:
I was playing around with a Nikon A900 at work today and decided to do a quick 4K comparison outdoors with my phone... It intrigued me that the A900 doesn't offer 1080p 120. Which I know on a lot of the unbranded cams is often a sign of fake 4K... To me the Nikon A900 it super crunchy and contrasty and lacking detail. Very poor performance, imho, not what I expected from Nikon. What do you think?

Whoa. Looks like a screenshot from 720p @ 120 vid I tried on a NT96660 IMX078 cam! Was fine at 30fps but 120fps went like this. Looks like that awful digital zoom effect though not zoomed.

Whoa. Looks like a screenshot from 720p @ 120 vid I tried on a NT96660 IMX078 cam! Was fine at 30fps but 120fps went like this. Looks like that awful digital zoom effect though not zoomed.

I should have done a shot with the stabilization turned off and seen if that helped.

But yeah it reminds me of some Allwinner V3 1080p60, where they've clearly just taken 720p video, upscaled it to 1080p and boosted sharpness/contrast. Gross.

I should have done a shot with the stabilization turned off and seen if that helped.

But yeah it reminds me of some Allwinner V3 1080p60, where they've clearly just taken 720p video, upscaled it to 1080p and boosted sharpness/contrast. Gross.
"Technically" the worst EIS will do is partially crop the shot. Who knows though with some of these cams though LOL
Allwinner V3 cams often had a quite good Omnivision 4MP sensor and should have been good quality but again they mucked up the firmware all over the place. Even interpolated, had one repeating every 3rd frame (ABCCDEFF etc) and quite good! Who knows at "60fps" what ABCC would be called 45fps? Haha

Just a little fun fact that back in the early days of TV, stations had film chains. These consisted of two 16mm projectors and two slide projectors all controlled by remote. The 16mm had 5 blade shutters which illuminated each frame 5 times of 120 times per second. That meant for NTSC at 30 fps each field got captured. 5 * 24 hz = 120 hz. Of course in the 1960s these were replaced by VTRs.

Point it's a business reason that the cams have 25 or 30 fps offered. They don't want to spend support time on people who are confused about converting their video to a DVD or BD. I bought one of those 8mm film converters that were released last year. It produces files at 30 fps but 8mm was 16 fps (and 18 fps for Super8) so you get silent film sped up action. I run those clips through Mencoder which can change the frame rate back to the original. But the average customer won't know to do that.
Didn't know that but remember the shutter systems on projectors. I do remember the problems of 50Hz over here with PAL when VTR became VHS for home use.

Used a super high tech Telecine to capture 8mm and Super 8. A base with adjustable rods and a focusing system. Stick projector one end hits mirror/lens assy and "capture" with your Sony Handicam the other end. LOL Actually worked but fiddly. Way before good post edit software and early days of YouTube. Upload and a small box instead of full screen in YouTube so ... make a DVD for home vids only! :cool::joyful:

"Technically" the worst EIS will do is partially crop the shot. Who knows though with some of these cams though LOL
Allwinner V3 cams often had a quite good Omnivision 4MP sensor and should have been good quality but again they mucked up the firmware all over the place. Even interpolated, had one repeating every 3rd frame (ABCCDEFF etc) and quite good! Who knows at "60fps" what ABCC would be called 45fps? Haha

You may have seen a V3S camera where it can only do max 1080p @ 40 FPs... So it will repeat every 3rd frame... the fake 4K on those is, quite literally, the worse I've seen lol. You'd get better fake 4K by taking 1080p video and just resizing it to 4K

thanks for this post! I was interested in this camera since it was on sale recently. your post made me look up actual 4K samples from it and I'm quite disappointed.

thanks for this post! I was interested in this camera since it was on sale recently. your post made me look up actual 4K samples from it and I'm quite disappointed.
Yeah I'm super disappointed too. Nikon has an employee discount on it right now that makes it very appealing... Gonna end up buying a Sony for $$$ I think

Yeah I'm super disappointed too. Nikon has an employee discount on it right now that makes it very appealing... Gonna end up buying a Sony for $$$ I think

it's not an always popular opinion but I personally love SONY cameras.

Thanks. That link works fine on Os X Firefox. I wonder if the problem actually was with Tapatalk (iOS app version).

Ok but that url is rotten. It leads to a bunch of whatever-ware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Malicious Malware reported! Kaspersky killed the links luckily and Malwarebytes quarantined ( I deleted)
Seems SooCoo have big problems on their website.

Is the SJcam SJ6 Legend the best non-4k action camera in term of IQ and features?

Is the SJcam SJ6 Legend the best non-4k action camera in term of IQ and features?
The SJ6 is similar to the Gitup Git2, which is best depends on what you prefer, the SJ6 has 2 LCD screens while the Git2 has more settings, PCM remote control etc.

Take a look at the Gitup G3, it has a better sensor than the SJ6/Git2 and also better stabilisation and zoom capability.

I'm new here, and have just been through the long trial of looking for a decent 4K 60P action / dashcam. I compared zillions of actual user footage and even comparison from so called 'pro' reviewers right up to GoPro6.
My background as a broadcaster and subsequent designer and technician has given me a very critical approach and fussy attitude to what I see from recorded video. In the end, bottom line is that I bought the Yi4K+ and am absolutely blown away by how good a product you get for the price. The high data rate limits record time on 4K 60P to about 2 hours, but the quality and detail is just breathtaking. Low light is about as good as you can expect from such a tiny sized sensor with so many light receptors. The GoPro matches it, but certainly not in the absolute detail that this baby dishes out. The feature set is good and the auto orientation options mean you can mount the camera upside down and it will correct the scan to make your video or timelapse come out the right way up. The timelapse options are great for night time stuff, as long as you make the intervals adequate for a suitable exposure time per frame to get a good photo. It will also auto produce a video instead of a series of thousands of stills if you want. I have trawled all the fake claims and I understand the frustration that plagues you guys trying to figure out what the heck a true resolution is. I nearly got caught out recently with the H9 claims ... and then realised it was interpolated to 4K from a smaller res sensor. These things used to be covered under a thing called the 'Trades Description Act' .... where did that go? With the internet and a Global Economy, it seems that we can neither check on the accuracy of product manufacturer claims, nor can we resolve compensation easily without hours of correspondence and threats. One exception, in my experience has been Bang Good ... but then I managed to get an online discussion going with their help chat and immediately found a distinctly reasonable assistant who immediately cancelled an order for 2 x '4K' with Sony IMX chips which blatantly could NOT do genuine 384x2160P at ANY framerate, let alone the 30P it claimed. So that's my experience .. for what it's worth.

The SJ6 is similar to the Gitup Git2, which is best depends on what you prefer, the SJ6 has 2 LCD screens while the Git2 has more settings, PCM remote control etc.

Take a look at the Gitup G3, it has a better sensor than the SJ6/Git2 and also better stabilisation and zoom capability.
Yeah I agree, they both look similar but g2/g3 have more features. One that catch my eyes is exposure lock on the g2. However I decided to get the sj6 legend. I actually just got it & not dissapointed with the image quality. I'm thankful with your input and I may get g3 in the future because I probably need another action cam.

Btw, 2880x2160 interpolation meaning it is interpolated from 1080p or max possible resolution is 2880x2160 but interpolated to 3840x2160 when playing on the monitor?

Back