Switched Power Wire not supplying power to camera, no idea what's wrong.

N3XU5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. I messaged @estore009 on Reddit and she suggested I post this question here, so here we go. Please bear with me, this is going to be a lengthy post so I can explain all the details and not leave anything out.

I've got a Mini 0906 along with the revised power kit in my 2016 Ford Focus ST. When I first got it it took some work for it to work properly but I finally got it. My mom was really impressed with the quality for the price. She was just hit a couple weeks ago and the at fault driver almost ran but thankfully didn't, but she's decided she wanted to get a camera for her 2017 Ford Escape Titanium as well. So I ordered the Mini 0906 from Veckle on Amazon as well as the hardwire kit from the same user on Amazon. When I tried to install the power kit, I couldn't get any power to the Yellow Accessory power wire from the fuse tap. I tried a different fuse tap and even tried putting that wire on the Constant Power fuse I picked to plug the Red Wire into, and even then still nothing. I tried cutting the pluggable termination off the Yellow Wire and splicing it straight to the fuse tap as well as trying a different fuse tap, and still nothing. So at this point I came to the conclusion that the power kit I received was defective and I began an Amazon return on it. Next paragraph.

About a week later, I ordered another power kit and a new camera from the same seller I bought the camera for my car [(which I believe is @estore009 's Amazon USA store) (returned the other camera due to missing the CPL filter and the adhesive tape to mount the camera)]. The other day I went out and tried to install the camera in the car again. Again I connected the Yellow Wire for Accessory Power to the same fuse I was trying to use the first time and got nothing. Connected it to a different fuse which I believed was a switched power fuse and nothing. Then I connected it to the Constant power fuse and again, nothing. At this point I'm at a loss of what the issue is. I've confirmed that the fuses I'm tapping are switched and constant power fuses. I've ensured the connection to the fuse tap is good as well as used a new fuse tap and still nothing. I've tested the camera in my car which has a working power kit and it switches between parking mode and normal mode perfectly fine in my car, so I think I got another bad power supply but I don't want to return it if I don't have to because that power kit is showing unavailable on Amazon.

Here is the manual for the 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. Pages 232 to 234 details the Passenger Compartment fuse box with the fuse locations and descriptions. On the Escape, I tapped into fuse 87 (Heated Steering Wheel power) for Switched Accessory power. Even though this specific Escape doesn't have a heated steering wheel it still has that fuse and still sends switched power to that fuse. Just to be certain, I also tried fuse 77 (Washer Pump) for Switched Accessory power and still got nothing. I tapped fuse 65 (Liftgate Release) for Constant power, and this tap worked perfectly fine and was putting the camera into Parking Mode.

Here is the manual for the 2016 Ford Focus ST (my car with my original power kit). Pages 208 to 210 details the Passenger Compartment fuse box with fuse locations and descriptions. On the Focus ST, I tapped fuse 87 (Heated Steering Wheel power) for Switched Accessory power and it works in my car switching power to the camera when I start the car. I tapped fuse 65 (Liftgate Release) for Constant Power and it works perfectly, sending the camera into Parking Mode when I switch off the car.

Just in case you weren't sure, the Focus ST and Escape Titanium are essentially the same car internally. They both use the same fuse boxes with the same fuses in the same locations, so I do not understand why this isn't working in the Escape. Any help is appreciated here, I just want to get this thing installed in the car and then leave it alone. Thanks!

If the fuses are functioning as expected then either the ground connection or the hardwire kit is bad. If you don't have a test light or meter it might pay to get one (or borrow one) to ensure the fuses are actually doing what is expected of them ;)

Phil

If the fuses are functioning as expected then either the ground connection or the hardwire kit is bad. If you don't have a test light or meter it might pay to get one (or borrow one) to ensure the fuses are actually doing what is expected of them ;)

Phil

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I placed the Red Constant power wire on both Switched Power fuses and it did turn the camera on and off, putting it in parking mode when it comes on. So the fuses definitely look like they're working fine, I just find it not impossible but highly unlikely that I've gotten 2 bad power kits in a row.

IIRC some hardwire kits use yellow for "Ign. switched" and red for "parked"- check your instructions to be sure.

Phil

IIRC some hardwire kits use yellow for "Ign. switched" and red for "parked"- check your instructions to be sure.

Phil

Yeah I know. I tested the yellow on switched power first then constant. Then tested red on constant then switched. Red worked both times while yellow didn't work either time.

The only other thing I can think of would be insufficient voltage from the car- extremely unlikely. Maybe @RockThinking can figure this one out.

Phil

When I tried to install the power kit, I couldn't get any power to the Yellow Accessory power wire from the fuse tap.
Perhaps you are in a bit of a hurry, because after the ignition is turned off (the supply of power to the yellow wire is off), it takes some time for the 0906 to enter parking mode. The transition is not carried out immediately after the ignition is switched off.
The peculiarity of the 0906 in the technology for implementing this mode of operation, such technology is not yet available in any dash, its essence is as follows: when the ignition is switched off, a control signal (about 3 volts) is supplied to the contact #4 of the micro-USB and It should take some time to switch dash into parking mode.
If in your car the parking mode is activated correctly (for 0906), and in the new one - no, then the defective set (Veckle Parking Guard hardwire kit Parking mode for Mini 0906 Car Dash Cam). Or try to connect a new 0906 into your car

Perhaps you are in a bit of a hurry, because after the ignition is turned off (the supply of power to the yellow wire is off), it takes some time for the 0906 to enter parking mode. The transition is not carried out immediately after the ignition is switched off.
The peculiarity of the 0906 in the technology for implementing this mode of operation, such technology is not yet available in any dash, its essence is as follows: when the ignition is switched off, a control signal (about 3 volts) is supplied to the contact #4 of the micro-USB and It should take some time to switch dash into parking mode.
If in your car the parking mode is activated correctly (for 0906), and in the new one - no, then the defective set (Veckle Parking Guard hardwire kit Parking mode for Mini 0906 Car Dash Cam). Or try to connect a new 0906 into your car

The timing doesn't have anything to do with it. I can let the ignition be on for 20 minutes if I wanted to and it won't do anything in terms of getting power to the Yellow wire. I'm not having an issue with the camera switching between parking mode and regular recording mode. I'm having an issue with the hardwire power kit sending power from the ignition switched fuse to the camera.

:unsure:i was facing same issues then solved by changing the fuse !

:unsure:i was facing same issues then solved by changing the fuse !

I doubt that will fix it in my situation. I've tried both wires on all 3 fuses I listed and Red worked every time whereas Yellow didn't work at all.

I doubt that will fix it in my situation. I've tried both wires on all 3 fuses I listed and Red worked every time whereas Yellow didn't work at all.
did you already tried new power kit.can you post pictures to your fuse map and your setting .

did you already tried new power kit.can you post pictures to your fuse map and your setting .

I linked the owners manuals for both cars, my car with a 0906 installed already and my mom's car that I'm trying to install the 0906 into, which have fuse diagrams on the pages I listed. This is now my 2nd brand new power kit from the same seller on Amazon. I've tried adjusting the voltage cutoff switch and doesn't change anything.

Assuming the red is ACC/switched and yellow is PERMANENT/constant.

Current is pulled only from the PERMANENT/constant wire, the red (ACC/switched) wire is only for sensing whether the car's in ACC/ON/START mode or OFF.

Assuming the red is ACC/switched and yellow is PERMANENT/constant.

Current is pulled only from the PERMANENT/constant wire, the red (ACC/switched) wire is only for sensing whether the car's in ACC/ON/START mode or OFF.

You assumed wrong lol. That's how it would be for literally any other power kit, but whoever makes these power kits did it the other way, yellow is ACC, red is constant. The yellow wire isn't sending any power to the camera for whatever reason.

You assumed wrong lol. That's how it would be for literally any other power kit, but whoever makes these power kits did it the other way, yellow is ACC, red is constant. The yellow wire isn't sending any power to the camera for whatever reason.

Then I'll revise my response -

If yellow is ACC/switched and red is PERMANENT/constant.

Current is pulled only from the PERMANENT/constant (red) wire , the yellow (ACC/switched) wire is only for sensing whether the car's in ACC/ON/START mode or OFF.

If I unplug the constant wire from the camera in my car and leave just the Yellow ACC, the camera will still power up.

and does it power up in normal mode or parking mode?

Normal mode. At least that's what I remember happening when I installed the camera. I can take a look the next day its not raining which I think is Saturday

my power kit stop working today only recording normal mode !

Back