Why doesn't Nextbase release firmware with release notes?

Dellint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that there is a new firmware download for the NBDVR312GW.

My dashcam has "R6.4-Ver.B-R04.4", the new one is "R6.4-Ver.B-R06.9".

The previous update was done at the recommendation of Nextbase to fix a problem caused by accessing the Dashcam over its wifi link from an Apple iPhone of all things!! At the time I commented that I would be chastised severely if I released software with a design certificate and a release note, but Nextbase seem happy to send out firmware releases with no published notes on what the new release fixes or adds.

Why is this? And does anyone know what R06.9 brings to the party?

Today she may be absent given South Wales has a amber rain & wind weather warning.

OK.

Does anyone have any idea what goes into a Nextbase firmware release?

Depends on what needs fixing/improving per model.

Sorry for missing this: thanks everyone.

Risky business travelling around here today @Kremmen.

312GW R6.9 changed:
  • keep user settings at firmware update.
  • number plate bug fix.
  • adds USA support.
  • adds Nextbase Assist (easier to find firmware and SD card info with shortcuts).

Thanks for that Tiffany, it's certainly more than I have seen about any release so far.

I do wonder why this information cannot be included with the download or as an additional downloadable document on the support pages.
Would you be able to feed this back for inclusion in future releases?
It help when deciding to go through the rigmarole of doing the update, whether it is worthwhile or not. I'm a little surprised it isn't included anyway. I would in trouble if I released software without a release note in my business. o_O

The example is pretty much what I would have liked to find for the 312 updates.

I haven't tried the replay software as I was without a computer on which I could use it for some time. So such compatibility would not have been an issue for me. Recently got a Mac Mini though, so may take a look sometime to at least see what it is like.

Incidentally... Is there a way to feedback on the devices and their software?

Update done, seems OK.

Anyone doing this update, I would recommend formatting the SD-card because the new firmware uses different folder names and leaves the old ones there along with any video files within them.

I've always used a tiny card formatted first.

The issue with using your main card is that if you forget to remove the .bin file then it updates every time you power up the dashcam.

That's not the issue I'm describing. The card used to upload the new firmware is not the one I use for recording. On re-inserting the card for recording I found later when reviewing some recordings on my computer that some old files (pre-update) were still on the card in a folder no longer used by the dashcam, which was therefore not deleting these old files as part of its normal space re-use cycle.

I'll check the card used to upload the firmware later, but I though the dashcam had removed the file automatically after successfully updating, because I don't recall the BIN file still being there when I used the card for something else later on.

Sorry I’m lat to the party. What’s the current version number? Just bought one of these and it say r00.1...

Under 'Firmware'

Urg! Still no release information with the Nextbase firmware downloads. I note the file now is just NBDVR312GW-R6.4.zip.
We were told that October 2018 that Nextbase were starting to introduce change logs and linked an example for the 412 dash cam. The firmware page for the 312GW shows the file above has a date of 2/9/2020, so quite recent. However since 6.4 has been attached to every firmware file I can recall, it doesn't tell me whether or not this file is actually an update or not, let alone what has changed in it.

So is this file a new update?
What changes does it bring?

Hi there,

The update that you're referring to (2/9/2020) is actually a reference to when this file was uploaded to the website as we've since had an overhaul and all versions of the firmware have been re-added, this is not a newer update but shows the date that the website was updated with this firmware.

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Tech Support

Back