SGR291CAM vs SGR323CAM

Bobcat101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I see both these cameras are compatible with this dashcam but am unsure which is the better one?

Can someone please explain?

edit: seems the IMX291 gives better low light picture, otherwise the same

actually leave it. I've cancelled the Amazon order, and i'll wait for delivery from you directly.

The IMX 291 based rear camera are the most sensitive one, but IMHO it dosent matter as rear cameras only work at night with a little ambient light around, and even then it is marginal in regard to resolving small details at speed.
I have no problems with the IMX 323 based camera of my DC model, i see no reason for upgrading that even if i could, but for the front camera i would prefer the IMX 291 sensor anytime.

The IMX 291 are more easy on the eye, meaning you can see more in the footage, but if you pause and look at the footage or go frame by frame, you will notice the more you can see, well it is a blur that your eyes compensate for when you view it in real time.
I think the IMX 291 use pretty much the same settings a IMX 323 would under the same conditions in low light, so this mean 1/30 second exposure timing and a high ISO.
If only the IMX 291 was substantial more light sensitive and so could use faster exposure timings, then it would be a whole other matter, but sadly we don't have that good sensors yet.

The way I see it is that the front camera has the benefit of the headlights so any help the rear cameras get is probably going to help. Thanks for responding btw

Yep, when i stamp on the brake the footage from my DC rear camera light up in red and i can see pretty much ( stopped in a pitch black place )
And driving at night on a unlit road i have no problem seeing if headlights coming up from behind are all over the place, the same you would only be able to see with a IMX 291 based rear camera.
I am going for a drive now, will try and generate some example footage for you.

Here i toggle thru the output levels of my flashlight, maybe not a good place i did this as either way there are little of the surroundings to see if the 2000 lumen flashlight are not aimed directly on something.

Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO (Firmware V1.18_2018.11.13) + IMX323
Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO+ – (Firmware V1.17_2018.11.13) + IMX291 Sony STARVIS™
BlackVue DR750S-2CH (Firmware V1.014_2018.12.19)+ IMX291 Sony STARVIS
a bit later will be video comparison

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 13
Minsk looking cool, please keep that.
So far i have just needed to remove ice 2 times this year, and i am not aware the roads have been salted at all yet,,,, which are also nice cuz salt eat my little car.
Today have been rain all day in my area and 3 degree C

I'm surprised that the 291 on the Blackview is so much worse than the 323 on the SG.

I'm surprised that the 291 on the Blackview is so much worse than the 323 on the SG.
the night mode is OFF by blackvue, if it is ON, the quality of the front camera will be terrible, the best option is automatic switching on when entering the parking mode

TBH I'm not too much surprised. Blackvue concentrates more on features, not vid quality. SG concentrates more on vid quality, not features. Therefore these results simply reflect how each company approaches their products and development. Neither way is necessarily bad, just different, and that plays a large role in what someone should research when selecting a dashcam.

Phil

SGGCX2PRO (IMX323) vs SGGCX2PRO+ (IMX291) vs BlackVue DR750S-2CH (IMX291 - NV_OFF)

love the video - im assuming its compressed for youtube. can you actualy pull a number plate of any of these? they all seemed blurry but im sure its probably the compression thats doing it

Back