Dash Cam 55 buffered parking mode

I put the camera back in the car but still don''t have those settings even though it is connected to the parking mode cable. It doesn't matter if the camera is on or in parking mode.

Holy moly. Ok I’ve been through all kinds of crap trying to get my DC 55 parking mode cable to work. I’ve purchased two cables just to be sure. Constant to positive terminal, ground to bare metal ground, Acc to switched 12v. The dc never powers on that way. Powers fine with the cigarette plug. Thoughts? I’ve wired several cams this way and also to the fuse box. Neither way works with this camera. Help!

SORRY,

I know this is an old post but did you get this resolved? I just got a 65w and the parking mode car. I have constant power to cigarette lighter put the battery fuse here, I have gone through several other accessory fuses for acc and just can't get any power to the unit. Like your self I have power via the 12v socket when engine on and off. I've had a ad day trying to figure this out. It is also farther against the chassis.

Any help would be appreciated.

Holy moly. Ok I’ve been through all kinds of crap trying to get my DC 55 parking mode cable to work. I’ve purchased two cables just to be sure. Constant to positive terminal, ground to bare metal ground, Acc to switched 12v. The dc never powers on that way. Powers fine with the cigarette plug. Thoughts? I’ve wired several cams this way and also to the fuse box. Neither way works with this camera. Help!

I just bought a parking mode cable. It doesn't work. I wonder if a lot of them are just defective

I initially had problems setting my DC 55 up too. Then I realized that my battery was down a bit so I turned on the car to charge up the battery for 15 minutes and voila, it works like a charm. Also, make sure the fuses you are connecting too actually are the ones that it says in your cars manual as they could be wrong (found that out while hooking up a stereo years ago.

I initially had problems setting my DC 55 up too. Then I realized that my battery was down a bit so I turned on the car to charge up the battery for 15 minutes and voila, it works like a charm. Also, make sure the fuses you are connecting too actually are the ones that it says in your cars manual as they could be wrong (found that out while hooking up a stereo years ago.

I had used a multimeter to check my connections and the car was putting out 11.8 volt so I think it should have worked

If the cutoff really is higher than that then the cable is useless because it won't even work overnight

I had used a multimeter to check my connections and the car was putting out 11.8 volt so I think it should have worked

If the cutoff really is higher than that then the cable is useless because it won't even work overnight
11.8V is too low for a healthy car battery. 11.7V is the default cutoff so you may be hitting that.

11.8V is too low for a healthy car battery. 11.7V is the default cutoff so you may be hitting that.

I guess both my Golf and my previous C-Max had bad batteries even when brand new! Maybe the Mobius I leave running in timelapse uses more power than I thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked my voltage at a socket and got 11.4v (with key turned to acc) and then checked at the battery with the key off and got 12.2v. This is right after driving for 15 minutes. Is that too low?

12.4V is OK though it should be around 14V when engine is running.

After letting it sit since 5pm yesterday I checked it at 10am today. Power draw from Panasonic industrial timer I use for dashcams, an Anker USB power adapter that runs always, and one timelapse Mobius. I got 11.8V measured at the battery, then turned on accessories and headlights and got 11.2V

Battery definitely bad, probably from being drawn down a decent amount all the time. I'm getting an X2Power battery from Batteries Plus

New battery is still at 12.4 volts after sitting for 16 hours! The parking mode cable of course works fine. The Garmin 45 seems to record only 10 seconds before the motion detect is triggered

Anyone measured battery usage over extended periods - eg if I set parking mode to 2/4/8/12 hours what is the likely mAh used for those periods - maybe allowing for 'quiet' (not much recording, just the buffering) and 'active' (lots of recording eg false positives due to movement)?

I'm wondering whether to switch my nextbase to a Garmin - I have a 512GW in my BMW and a Garmin 55 in my wife's VW. I like the prebuffering and the time limit of the garmin plus the adjustable voltage cutoff help protect the car battery. But it does seem quite trigger happy with just movement (including wind/rain) so might hit the car battery too much if I run it eg all day in a car park.

The Nextbase can run off internal battery to avoid using the car battery, but only has a 2 wire hardwire kit and a very low unchangeable voltage cutoff so I'd probably connect to an ignition source not permanently live. And although only shock driven, it still seems very trigger happy and you can't adjust the sensitivity.

I've got a Garmin 55 and I am very happy with, it seems that during the day it has a much higher quality hdr mode, as opposed to my nextbase 612, whcih it may boast a 4k, but in many situations, the numebr plates are unreadable because it's hdr is just too bad. Many underestimate the hdr importance, and you end up with unusable footage. I am going to hardwire the garmin 55 for the back of the car, because it can actually pick up number plates at night from the cars behind me, as soon as there is a slight angle to the plate or brighter light conditions, and i am currently running quite happily, my nextbase 612, connected with it's usb charging cable to an anker 26k mah powerbank. The powerbank barely sees the drain, and while my card is full of useless junk, it can clock in a 10hour full 2k 60fps footage on my 128gb card.
Also, something that I think everyone should be aware of: 4k vs 2k vs 1k: while 2k might get visible quality improvement, 4k is not that noticeable, only perhaps in very good light, as pushing pixels on such a small sensor is an identical problem present in photography: small sensors have a physical cap on how many pixels they can process until the image becomes more fantasy then reality. The processing power is there, the number of pixels is there, but the sensor is just a tiny one, and that's the limiting factor. Premium compact cameras are now including 3/4 or full-frame sensor to break that barrier. Until larger sensors entail more power efficient systems around them (soon, I think), making them available for dashcams, 4k is just a gimmick, in UK anyway, where grey sky is the norm.

How do you charge the PowerBank? In the car or you bring into the house ?

Anyone measured battery usage over extended periods - eg if I set parking mode to 2/4/8/12 hours what is the likely mAh used for those periods - maybe allowing for 'quiet' (not much recording, just the buffering) and 'active' (lots of recording eg false positives due to movement)?

I'm wondering whether to switch my nextbase to a Garmin - I have a 512GW in my BMW and a Garmin 55 in my wife's VW. I like the prebuffering and the time limit of the garmin plus the adjustable voltage cutoff help protect the car battery. But it does seem quite trigger happy with just movement (including wind/rain) so might hit the car battery too much if I run it eg all day in a car park.

The Nextbase can run off internal battery to avoid using the car battery, but only has a 2 wire hardwire kit and a very low unchangeable voltage cutoff so I'd probably connect to an ignition source not permanently live. And although only shock driven, it still seems very trigger happy and you can't adjust the sensitivity.

I haven't measured mine yet but it uses more power than I thought because in the morning the camera is warm!

How often should you check the SD card for these saved videos in park mode? of course you would check it if you notice something that happened to the car, seems crazy that it could fill up and not be useful when you start driving!

How often should you check the SD card for these saved videos in park mode? of course you would check it if you notice something that happened to the car, seems crazy that it could fill up and not be useful when you start driving!

You have to figure out how long the card lasts with the level of activity your camera sees and records. It doesn't delete old parking mode recordings

When camera is in parking (stand by) mode, the LED is blinking. Also when you turn off your engine there is a message that tells you that camera is going into the parking mode.
To set the battery discharge voltage, you will have to open the parking mode accessory module. Look at the pics I posted in another thread.

where is the pic? can you share the link for that post?

Back