Going to wait

Airborne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
Want to thank everyone who gave me advice on here. I am still interested in purchasing a dashcam but I would like something on sale. I did receive a promotion code from one retailer on Amazon.
I don’t mind a couple of bucks in pricing but I will give example,I purchased a iPad on Amazon and a week later it was 60 bucks cheaper. I then contacted them as I spend thousands using their retailers. They told me they could not give me the sale price. They instructed me to return the iPad I already bought and purchase the one on sale. I told them that makes no sense, but they told me about their policy.
So I did what they told me to do and I saved 59 bucks. So this is my reason for waiting, Before I know it ,Black Friday will be here with sales through the roof. May sound foolish to some but close to a 60 buck difference is too much to over look. Maybe these dashcams never go on sale? So again appreciate all your feedbacks and I will continue to read the forum
Take it Lite....Pete

No need to jump the gun, you are on the right path so just keep your eyes open for the right deal and then pull the trigger.

60 bucks on an iPad is actually peanuts. Even if you buy from China during a sale, max savings you're looking at is anywhere between 5-$15.

If you're driving everyday, it makes more sense to buy one now than wait for a small discount.

60 bucks on an iPad is actually peanuts. Even if you buy from China during a sale, max savings you're looking at is anywhere between 5-$15.

If you're driving everyday, it makes more sense to buy one now than wait for a small discount.
60 buck saving, the iPad went on sale for 60 bucks cheaper. The unit I bought was 499 and then a week later it went on sale for 439. Not sure on those prices. All I know is I pocketed 60 bucks after the sale

I am retired and rarely go out any where, I worked hard all my life and I was never able to enjoy my home, now I can.

My home are my fortress, well as much of a fortress as a Dane can make it with the allowed 12 rubber bands and a nail file.
BUT ! its pretty comfy and after 6 - 12 hours in my bed tossing back and forth i sleep well for a few hours.

Airborne already have the bug, just a matter of time before he talk himself into a purchase....... or some dumb-ass on the road force his hand.

A discount is certainly nice but Black Friday is months away. If you should experience an unfortunate mishap with your car between now and then you could end up kicking yourself over waiting to save a few bucks. Just something to think about.

Almost any dashcam is better than none at all, but for an infrequent driver I think it's OK to be patient.

You won't save much by waiting for a sale. You will save more by doing your research and buying right first time. Some of us ditched the first dashcam we bought, then came here and bought a decent one!

Last edited:
There are always new cams and improved versions to be released in the future, so waiting isn't always the best idea, though it is better than an impulsive buy which brings a you a cam which has already been surpassed ;)

Right now there are a few good 2-channel cams available. Soon they are going to (hopefully) be out-performed with at least 3 new cams, some of which are already in beta testing. So for a 2-channel cam waiting could be wise.

The single-channel cams ahead are a bit different here, I see only a couple bright spots on tomorrow's horizon. For them I see less gain in waiting for something better which may be long in coming.

Waiting for a sale can save you much cash but know about how low prices have been in the past for that cam- that will tell you when to click the buy.

Also keep in mind who is doing the selling- some places may cost more and give you better after-sales service if you need it, while getting service from some other cheap sellers makes having hemorrhoids seem pleasant in comparison. Hopefully you won't need service or support, but if you do you'll want a good seller who will help you instead of fight you. I do buy some cams from the Chinese mega-stores but I do so knowing that I'm not going to get any help from them if I have problems and that their warranty is meaningless if I have to send a cam back to China. Most of vthe cams we've been speaking of can be had from the manufacturer via Amazon or Ebay, or sometimes from their authorized dealers. It's a safer bet buying this way even if it costs a little more.

My first cam purchase was not a happy experience- I went through 2 dead cams to get one good cam. What made it tolerable is that the seller went out of their way to help me and because of that I've bought from them again. I can beat their prices a little but I support good people like they are, and the peace of mind from buying there is worth the slight extra cost.

Phil

There are always new cams and improved versions to be released in the future, so waiting isn't always the best idea, though it is better than an impulsive buy which brings a you a cam which has already been surpassed ;)

Right now there are a few good 2-channel cams available. Soon they are going to (hopefully) be out-performed with at least 3 new cams, some of which are already in beta testing. So for a 2-channel cam waiting could be wise.

The single-channel cams ahead are a bit different here, I see only a couple bright spots on tomorrow's horizon. For them I see less gain in waiting for something better which may be long in coming.

Waiting for a sale can save you much cash but know about how low prices have been in the past for that cam- that will tell you when to click the buy.

Also keep in mind who is doing the selling- some places may cost more and give you better after-sales service if you need it, while getting service from some other cheap sellers makes having hemorrhoids seem pleasant in comparison. Hopefully you won't need service or support, but if you do you'll want a good seller who will help you instead of fight you. I do buy some cams from the Chinese mega-stores but I do so knowing that I'm not going to get any help from them if I have problems and that their warranty is meaningless if I have to send a cam back to China. Most of vthe cams we've been speaking of can be had from the manufacturer via Amazon or Ebay, or sometimes from their authorized dealers. It's a safer bet buying this way even if it costs a little more.

My first cam purchase was not a happy experience- I went through 2 dead cams to get one good cam. What made it tolerable is that the seller went out of their way to help me and because of that I've bought from them again. I can beat their prices a little but I support good people like they are, and the peace of mind from buying there is worth the slight extra cost.

Phil
+1

Lots of good advice, I purchased my Tacoma last December and now I have 1700 miles on the truck. I understand it takes just one trip to be sorry you did not have a dashcam. Good point also on be careful where you make a purchase, because the after sale is as important as the sale

as mentioned, if you do some research you’ll probably find out what you’re looking for and not maybe be paying for some features not wanted, that and finding out if what you’re looking at was released a couple of years ago or only a few months back

disadvantage of being one of the first buying anything is maybe all the issues haven’t been ironed out yet

in the mid 80’s I was using an Atari 1040ST (yep one meg of ram) computer, and buying a magazine dedicated to the Atari 1040,

quite often the readers page would have readers write in who were on the look out for a computer and the common question asked was when to by a computer as the reader(s) didn’t want to buy one now incase maybe it would be superseded a few months down the road

the reply from the editor(s) was always the same,

“if you want/need one now, jump in now, or you’ll be waiting for ever to get the latest one and never buy one,”

same with everything really, just do some research, and buy what meets you present needs,

as for sure as the sun will rise in the morning no sooner you buy one, next week/month there will be one coming out cheaper better/faster than the one you bought, with more of the features you wanted

but on the other hand you might still be waiting this time next year waiting to find the one for you

A discount is certainly nice but Black Friday is months away. If you should experience an unfortunate mishap with your car between now and then you could end up kicking yourself over waiting to save a few bucks. Just something to think about.
What's the likelihood of an incident occurring over the next 16 weeks whose outcome would be significantly altered by having a dashcam record? For most drivers, probably 0%.

Want to thank everyone who gave me advice on here. I am still interested in purchasing a dashcam but I would like something on sale. I did receive a promotion code from one retailer on Amazon.
I don’t mind a couple of bucks in pricing but I will give example,I purchased a iPad on Amazon and a week later it was 60 bucks cheaper. I then contacted them as I spend thousands using their retailers. They told me they could not give me the sale price. They instructed me to return the iPad I already bought and purchase the one on sale. I told them that makes no sense, but they told me about their policy.
So I did what they told me to do and I saved 59 bucks. So this is my reason for waiting, Before I know it ,Black Friday will be here with sales through the roof. May sound foolish to some but close to a 60 buck difference is too much to over look. Maybe these dashcams never go on sale? So again appreciate all your feedbacks and I will continue to read the forum
Take it Lite....Pete
Return shipping on an iPad was only $1? Wow, you really lucked out. I think Amazon generally refuses to repay return shipping costs if you are returning an item for reasons they don't consider to have been their fault (such as the item was damaged or the wrong item was sent).

What's the likelihood of an incident occurring over the next 16 weeks whose outcome would be significantly altered by having a dashcam record? For most drivers, probably 0%.

The fact is, no one knows what the likelihood is regarding if and when one might be involved in a traffic accident; is usually just a twist of fate. That's why we have dash cams. Of course, there is also a little thing called Murphy's Law ("Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"), and we all know how that can go. These pages are full of reports from people who have been in car accidents and ended up kicking themselves because they didn't have a dash cam. Tell me again, why do you have a dash cam?

Well I did contact 2 of the retailers on here, and offered 10 bucks off, I sooner just go to Amazon and not play head games

The fact is, no one knows what the likelihood is regarding if and when one might be involved in a traffic accident; is usually just a twist of fate. That's why we have dash cams. Of course, there is also a little thing called Murphy's Law ("Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"), and we all know how that can go. These pages are full of reports from people who have been in car accidents and ended up kicking themselves because they didn't have a dash cam. Tell me again, why do you have a dash cam?
I don't have a dash cam. I have been considering purchasing a dash cam for the past several months. I'm in no hurry. ;)

We don't know for sure whether an individual person will experience an incident, but we absolutely can estimate the risk (or "likelihood") for the average driver of experiencing an incident, based on numbers of incidents that occur over time and then estimating whether having had dashcam records would have made differences in the outcomes.

Back