Did anyone buy the U1000 4K yet who can share their experience?

This is not true for the North American Market. The North American Market will have a 1 channel U1000 that includes the 12V power cable and the 2 channel U1000 will come with both the hardwiring cable and 12V power cable.
Man, that's unfair. I would prefer the 12V cable right now.

More footage of both cameras:
Front looks good at slower speeds, but lacks details at oncoming traffic especially at higher speeds.
The rear is crap, a blurry mess. I hope that is because of the trailer - that is clearly visbible...

(opinion based on this yt-video)

The rear is crap, a blurry mess. I hope that is because of the trailer - that is clearly visbible...
The trailer is largely static so requires very little bitrate, thus freeing up bitrate to improve the rest of the image - a good trick to make the camera look better than it would normally do ;)

The trailer is largely static so requires very little bitrate, thus freeing up bitrate to improve the rest of the image - a good trick to make the camera look better than it would normally do ;)
Your explanation makes this worse, actually. The video is from @BlackboxMyCar and i would assume they want to have the best results. So video editing should be on expert levels. And they obviously know those tricks, too. :) With this in mind, the quality should be better!
The chances are high, that the result is worse without the trailer... .

Just saw on their twitter, that the official release is oct. 4th. Think we have to wait for more feedback until then.

Raw samples:

I don't know if this is important to anyone, but it's some sort of feedback. :)
My cam was in the mail yesterday and while i have no option to install and test it right now (hardwire cable only) here's my first impression:
The seal was intact but the cam has some scratches. Most of them are around the mount. Sadly, some are on other parts: the glossy black parts around the camera have some and the indicator stripe (?) is extremely scratched. There are no protective foils on those parts. The cam had some fingerprints on it too. Quality is good but some parts feel like cheap plastic (everything is plastic, i know; but some parts look cheaper than the others).
The front and rear cam are both in a plastic bag, both of them are not sealed. The front cam is separated in the box and protected by cardbord. The rear cam and everything else in the box is below that said cardbord. That means nothing protects the rear cam. That feels cheap, especially if you know how Blackvue handles this (both cams separated by cardbord and fully protected by foil).

I would send it back. you want NEW, not "new but touched" - especially with such a pricetag

Yeah. Normally i would agree. But since the seal was okay, i guess it was tested in production without issues. That's a good thing to me! :)
The scratches are definitely bad. Very bad. I hate such things. But on the other hand, how long does it take until i cause them myself.
If i have any other issues once i have it running i will definitely send it back.

I've heard of repaired and warranty-replacement cams having what seems to be used parts installed, but I'd have a problem with it in a "new" camera, especially one by a supposedly "top tier" company with a price to match. YMMV

Phil

amazon sometimes sends you stuff as new.
Maybe it was never used, but it's not difficult to see if it has been opened.
in such case i really don't care if the seal was intact; it goes back no matter what!

And I doubt very much that thinkware tests each camera by hand...

amazon sometimes sends you stuff as new.
Maybe it was never used, but it's not difficult to see if it has been opened.
in such case i really don't care if the seal was intact; it goes back no matter what!

And I doubt very much that thinkware tests each camera by hand...

Going by the fact, that the cam as a product itself, is brand new i don't think it's a used and returned one. As i've said, the sealing was totally fine. I was able to break it without cutting it, but left some marks at the edges.
The other stuff is totally fine. Nothing used or damaged.
They won't test every single cam, but some samlpes from production, i guess.

I've installed the front cam today. The Thinkware 12V connector fits into the cam (same connector as the other models). The cam itself is very stealthy. :) Since both cables are very thick, especially the rear cam cable, i have a hard time to hide them in my car. Frameless side windows don't help... cables are hanging from the roof now.
The fov is enough to see both A pillars (car is more than 2m wide). I've put it 2-3cm away from my rearview mirror compartment. Since the lenses are close to the windshield, nothing from it can be seen in the video. Blaclvue cam would show the mirror and radar housing (less road).
256GB Samsung SD card works fine. No problems so far. In case you need bigger cards, go for it.
The cam needs 4 to 5 seconds to start recording, when you start the engine. (Blackvue dr900s needs nearly 30s!)
Thinkware apo works good, but i have to turn bluetooth off to connect to the cam (Samsung s9+). No problem, since once you set it up you can ignore it.
Have to install the rear cam and hide the cables before i can make some recordings...

Edit: the cam gets very hot! It's ~15°C outside and the cam could be used as a heater.

Update: first drive today with the new cam.
While watching the footage i've noticed, that the cam does indeed sees the rearview mirror housing. I thought it was the A pillar on the drivers side. Obviously i was wrong. But it's less than with the dr900s. So it's not perfect but okay. I had to move it downwards on the window to fix that, but than it's visible from the outside.

Quality is very good. 2k with 60fps i can read most license plates up to 70km/h (ongoing traffic). If you go faster it becomes blurry and unreadable.
Rear cam is a 50/50. It's okay, but not good. FHD should have the same results. It's blurry all the time. You can read plates at slow speed. That's it... :(

I'll see, if i can upload some screenshots in the future.

Back