A129 duo IR firmware

mco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. New to dashcams and just got the A129 DUO IR. I wanted to make sure its running the most up to date firmware. On the website, the last firmware update is from Feb 2002, but the other camera have much newer firmware. Do I just get the actual IR firmware, or would a different one be more current. Thanks in advance...

Check what is currently on your camera, look in menu/version...

My guess is that it will be later than the one available on the website?
(Even though that is actually a lot later than 2002!)

Don't update it if it is already up to date.

Not sure why the A129 Duo IR is behind the A129 Duo, if there is some update in the A129 Duo that you want for the IR then it might be worth asking Viofo to update the IR.

Check what is currently on your camera, look in menu/version...

My guess is that it will be later than the one available on the website?
(Even though that is actually a lot later than 2002!)

Don't update it if it is already up to date.

Not sure why the A129 Duo IR is behind the A129 Duo, if there is some update in the A129 Duo that you want for the IR then it might be worth asking Viofo to update the IR.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if i update one of the new firmware for a129 duo, it won't have ir features. Even though the head unit is the same, I'm surprised they haven't released newer IR firmware.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if i update one of the new firmware for a129 duo, it won't have ir features. Even though the head unit is the same, I'm surprised they haven't released newer IR firmware.
You would lose the IR illumination and the monochrome night vision.

They may have been waiting to make sure the A129 Duo version didn't have any problems with the new firmware before making the same changes to the IR version. I don't think there were many changes anyway, the standard IR firmware is decent.

Reactions: mco
Hi. New to dashcams and just got the A129 DUO IR. I wanted to make sure its running the most up to date firmware. On the website, the last firmware update is from Feb 2002, but the other camera have much newer firmware. Do I just get the actual IR firmware, or would a different one be more current. Thanks in advance...
Welcome to DCT @mco :)

If you hang around in the world of dashcams awhile you'll begin to see that all too often FW updates introduce as many problems as they solve :( My advice is always that if your cam is doing what you want it to do then leave it alone. Wait till you've seen what others experience with the update before you consider doing it- that will happen pretty quickly here for the more popular cams so you won't have long to wait. When you do decide to update always be sure the cam has ample clean power; either using a strong phone charger plugged into the wall or in the car with the engine running, as some cams are easy to brick if there's a power glitch or inadequate power during the process.

Good choice with the A129 IR, one of the best cams of this type ATM and far ahead of most. You're going to like it I'm sure!

Phil

Good choice with the A129 IR, one of the best cams of this type ATM and far ahead of most.
Until the A129 Plus Duo IR arrives...

Again they have made sure the basic version works well before releasing the IR model.

Got to say that the current trend of naming cams "Pro" and "Plus" gets confusing at times :rolleyes: I hope 2021 sees a better naming convention emerge, and soon ;)

Phil

Got to say that the current trend of naming cams "Pro" and "Plus" gets confusing at times :rolleyes: I hope 2021 sees a better naming convention emerge, and soon ;)

Phil
Yes, there is already an A129 Pro Duo IR.

More confusing is the A139, which has IR, and has 2K, and has 3 channels, so should be the A139 Plus Trio IR, but is actually just the A139, maybe that is your better naming convention?

Yes, there is already an A129 Pro Duo IR.

More confusing is the A139, which has IR, and has 2K, and has 3 channels, so should be the A139 Plus Trio IR, but is actually just the A139, maybe that is your better naming convention?
I looked for the Pro Duo IR and didn't find it. Only the firmware...

I looked for the Pro Duo IR and didn't find it. Only the firmware...
Not sure I have seen it for sale, could ask Viofo support if you really want it, but I think for most people I'd recommend going for the A139 instead.

You can create it by installing the IR firmware on a standard model and adding the IR interior camera from the A129 Duo IR, which is available as a separate purchase. (Not the A129 Plus IR camera, that is not compatible.)

Back