Just ordered a Viofo A119 v3

If you don't believe me then fair enough.
It's not about this, I wanted to analyze it with that software for objectivity.
But I want to ask you something: did you notice in your recording sudden increases in volume, then limitations? My camera seemed to have a threshold above which the sound seemed to begin to be heard somewhat correct. Below that threshold the sound was limited and inaudible. At least that's what I notice in the recordings I still have.
I extracted an unmodified audio from a file. It's a dialogue with my wife and my daughter at normal volume of voices. I hope you understand why I skipped the video: GDPR. :) At one point I speak loudly and that sudden increase in volume happens (even voices of my wife and daughter sound better at that moment), then the strong limitation occurs ... let's say we are dealing with an unequal sound. I don't think that unequal sound it's a feature, but a defect, something wrong in the audio chain. Just listen it and you'll see. Maybe you'll test again your camera in similar conditions and you'll attach the file. I'm very curious if that limitation and unequal very low sound also occurs in your 119v3, but I guess not.
File: https://mega.nz/file/kYUEUbzZ#Ls6mbhfLzoxU3o-H-LTI0cFvMzX2npU7dvtW1P83HfY

In attachement, the way it looks analyzed in Audacity. Don't say me that volume is OK...

Attachments

• dialogue.jpg
    dialogue.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I got my A119V3 today and haveing exactly the same problem with audio recording. Tried both when plug in car and to a usb charger, talk right next to the camera, and audio recorded is virtually inaudible in volume. Tried raised to max and can hear some bits. Seems to me like a firmware issue, but I upgraded to 2.1 and still no change

Or rather a hardware one (already debated in this topic), because the firmware change didn't solve it? As I see, manufacturers seek to maximize their profit now that components have become more expensive. The solution is to make compromises, I think.
No idea. But I wonder why wouldn't a firmware that simply raise the audio gain and maybe apply a quick filter able to fix the issue.

But I wonder why wouldn't a firmware that simply raise the audio gain and maybe apply a quick filter able to fix the issue.
Because software (firmware is nothing more than software embedded in the device) can't correct for a piece of hardware that's not working. It's like expecting a firmware change to correct a problem with the screen on your phone if it's failing.

if they have some bad mics and they increase the gain to compensate then anyone that doesn't have a bad mic is going to end up with distorted audio, a level adjustment in the menu is a way to get around that issue, but there's a lot of coding involved as it's not something that's in the SDK already, not a simple fix

if they have some bad mics and they increase the gain to compensate then anyone that doesn't have a bad mic is going to end up with distorted audio, a level adjustment in the menu is a way to get around that issue, but there's a lot of coding involved as it's not something that's in the SDK already, not a simple fix
Gotcha. I opened a case where I bought it. Let see what Viofo say

I got my A119V3 today and haveing exactly the same problem with audio recording. Tried both when plug in car and to a usb charger, talk right next to the camera, and audio recorded is virtually inaudible in volume. Tried raised to max and can hear some bits. Seems to me like a firmware issue, but I upgraded to 2.1 and still no change...

Gotcha. I opened a case where I bought it. Let see what Viofo say

I'm sorry for your problem but I'm happy because you confirmed the issue and the fact that I'm not crazy as some suggested.

For sure they already know about the problem, I have information about this in this regard. I am very curious about their answer...

Last edited:
Those with the audio issue, what firmware are you running ?

I'm sure I read a post where an update from 2.0 to 2.1 affected the volume.

I'm sure I read a post where an update from 2.0 to 2.1 affected the volume.
My friend, try to understand that there is a big difference between low volume and DEFECTIVE product. :) I wouldn't been affected by a lower volume, but the volume in my copy of V3 was inconstant and almost absent. It's clearly a case of non-compliance.

Some also tried to convinced me that the laws of physics are different in a car ****pit (lol, censored c o c kpit), but this guy showed us that the physics is consequent.

Tried both when plug in car and to a usb charger, talk right next to the camera, and audio recorded is virtually inaudible in volume.

This guy said he updated to 2.1, see below... so the camera had another firmware with the same issue.
but I upgraded to 2.1 and still no change

For me, the silence of the Viofo representative on this forum becomes suspicious...

Last edited:
K. After some messages with the seller, they sent me a firmware (V2.1) via email and now the audio issue is fixed.
So as I thought, it's just the firmware issue (may be they changed hardware for microphone and did not set appropriate gain for the audio). Really hope that they'll add audio gain option in the menu for future firmwares :D

So it was not a poor quality microphone used by Viofo because of Covid-19?

Mine came with v. 2.1 installed. It was a defective product. Also, it was a guy from Canada with the same problem, also with v. 2.1. So, a full batch with issues.... Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore, the A129Plus that I have now is much better, but still not wow. Image quality in low light is ... meh.

Last edited:
I think this virus stuff have forced viofo and many others i assume, to restructure their business, this could mean people spending some time in here are finding it hard to do.
It is rare a manufacturer take such things into account.

Wow, you're so smart! What if I know more than you? What if Vifo's guy from Romania (the same who sell your cameras) admitted that the problem is real and recomended me to buy an A129 Plus?
You, manufacturers, you never would admit that customer is right...

Wow, you're so smart! What if I know more than you? What if Vifo's guy from Romania (the same who sell your cameras) admitted that the problem is real and recomended me to buy an A129 Plus?
You, manufacturers, you never would admit that customer is right...
you spoke of two pieces with a fault and declared the whole batch to be faulty, not a mind reader, just working with the info you provided

As per the earlier posts, I set mine off indoors and I too noticed the volume to be very low. When in the car it is fine.

If I remember correctly the unit in this instance never was tested in a car ?

Therefore the issue may not exist.

Back