2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 2 kind of meat i eat,,,,, must have.

1: Beef
2: Chicken
3: i can eat a lamb kebab if it have been drenched in chili and garlic.

I also love my pork, but if need be i could be without.

I must admit i also have little trust in that study, and the news was found on our national libral forced upon every Dane TV and Radio station.

To preserve earth maybe it is time to dial back on the number of humans ?
I do think it will probably be the best solution of them all, though it of course matter little if Africa suddenly was empty of humans, the problem dont reside down there to the same degree as elsewhere.

So you could empty all industrialized countries,,,,, that would immediately work i am sure, but the people left, they will probably carry on in the tradition set forth by history, and so the reprieve will probably be short.

So in the end, we are probably going to have to soldier thru misery as things slowly change and a new status quo is reached which we adaptable humans can still exist within.

Truth be told if i am hungry enough i will probably eat anything, i have even as a young provocateur fished out a nice booger and earthen that too just to provoke people, though i dont think you can make a living of those.

To preserve earth maybe it is time to dial back on the number of humans ?

Yeah, i assumed thats what covid was supposed to do, but no luck.

Whatever the people in charge decide to do will:
a) be wrong and ineffective.
b) cost us $
c) make our lives worse.
d) make them richer

So ye, im with you,
in the end, we are probably going to have to soldier thru misery as things slowly change and a new status quo is reached which we adaptable humans can still exist within.

I wouldnt beleive that study one bit.
"this time the greenhouse gas emissions that follow when forest and other natural areas are converted to agriculture have also been taken into account"

"If, on the other hand, you need the proteins from animals, you must first grow feed for the animal, the feed must be transported, the barn must be heated and then, for example, manure and burps from the cows also emit greenhouse gases ."

Someone who has no idea about agriculture at all wrote that. 3 out of 4 statements are wrong or misleading.

The end goal is not to have any animals at all and have all "meat" grown in labs from stem cells in whatever shape and flavor you want.
Most agriculture is renewable, as long as :
You don't chop down forests every year to free up land.
You use renewable fuel for the machinery, heating, transport.
You use renewable fertilizers.
You maintain the output rather than increasing output every year.

All of which was normal at one time, and is becoming feasible once again as we stop using fossil fuels.

Yes, the cows produce methane, but they have been doing so for long enough that old stuff is breaking down and being recycled as fast as new stuff is put into the atmosphere. It is only a problem if you increase the amount every year.

We are changing the map,,,,,, literally, what are your country doing.

Even in its first stage, all we need is to get the island up to 88 MPH and a flux capacitor, and then we are going back to the future.
It just tale 1.21 Gigawatt's for time travel and initial it will be 3 GW and 10 GW when fully developed, and so we could theoretically take all of the western Europe with us into the future.

source.gif

Last edited:
Why do you need an island?

Maybe you want to make your country bigger, or to claim more sea area by extending your claims?

Can't be because it is needed, it doesn't look far from land on that map, and it seems to be cheaper to put things on legs:

Similar size, 200 14MW turbines.
1612457216295.png

That might be it, now that Danish fishermen can not fish British waters anymore, then we extend our claim to more of the north sea at least.

With future perspectives i think the island might actually be a huge Mulberry harbor or in our case Mulberry island, the wind turbines i assume will be mounted in conventional ways as the north sea down here are not terrible deep.
As i recall it is 60 KM from the westcoast of Jutland,,,,, we might actually be building this on English / German war graves ( battle of Jutland )
That bit of news about France made me giggle when i heard it

As i recall it is 60 KM from the westcoast of Jutland,,,,, we might actually be building this on English / German war graves ( battle of Jutland )
That is not good, but even worse, it will be even more expensive when you have to do all the undersea archaeological survey and dig before you can start, it is part of Dogerland!

1612458080726.png

Yeah or dogger bank as it is called today.

It is bad when large pieces of Norway fall off, then it is "surf up dude".

I think Dogger Bank is just the bit labeled Doggerland, would have been hills at one time, Doggerland is all of the submerged area, including your new island which is not far from your shoreline, not part of the bank.
At the end of the bit of your area that sticks out above the bank, the UK and Denmark share a border :)

I wonder if the turbines are tsunami proof, could be a big disaster if we lost the whole lot in one wave!
Although there is no ice age about at the moment to trigger it.

Last edited:
website

That island looks a little small to me, there is a reason we put things on legs:

I think you are disregarding the ships put there for reference, that ship in the foreground are a 2 crane coaster, so its probably 50 - 60 M long or so.

" "some news i found googling for energy island.
The island is expected to have a total area of at least 120,000 square metres.
The artificial island, which in its initial phase will be the size of 18 football fields

You dont just tip over a barge the size of 10 or so wembley stadiums with a little wave.

Those "smokers" in the movie waterworld, in real life they will not be smoking and they will be floating around of our energy island and speak Danish :)

Looks like it has a golf course!

energy_island_vision_denmark_credit_vindo_consortium.jpeg

Seems the space is needed for the hydrogen electrolysers, but Siemens is going to put the electrolysers in the turbines, so the island won't be needed!

elon-musk-.jpg

Now THIS is what you call putting your money where your mouth is!

Elon Musk, through his Musk Foundation is donating $100 million to fund a new XPrize competition to find new ways to remove carbon from the air and/or water, in a bid to help stop climate change. This is the largest competition in the XPrize's history. It will start on Earth Day 2021 and will run for four years, through 2025.

To win the prize, the solution must be able to capture one ton of CO2 per day, and be viable in a scaled, validated, commercially viable model that has the ability to scale to gigaton levels (a billion metric tons of carbon) in the relatively near future. The solution must be able to “pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans and lock it away permanently in an environmentally benign way.”

For the last several years, the world's energy-related CO2 emissions have topped 30 gigatons.

Elon Musk Funds $100 Million XPrize For Pursuit Of New Carbon Removal Ideas

$100M Gigaton Scale Carbon Removal - Phase Announcement

P.S. (I've been fighting with my user hostile spell checker which apparently thinks "gigaton" should be spelled "rigatoni") :smuggrin:

Last edited:
To win the prize, the solution must be able to capture one ton of CO2 per day,
Meanwhile the Danish have just launched an even bigger wind turbine, now with a 10.8 acre sweep area, producing enough power to save 38000 tonnes of CO2 emissions from fossil fuel per year!

Vestas has launched a new offshore wind turbine – the V236-15.0MW –featuring the industry’s largest wind swept area and rotor diameter, as well as the highest nominal power rating.

The giant turbine will have a rotor diameter of 236 metres (774 feet) and a wind-swept area of 43,743m2 (10.8 acres). The industry’s next largest wind turbine, GE’s Haliade-X, has a rotor diameter of 220 metres and wind swept area of 38,013m2.

Vestas claimed the V236-15.0MW will be capable of producing 80GWh/year, enough to power around 20,000 European households, and save up to 38,000 tonnes of CO2 – the equivalent of removing 25,000 passenger cars from the road every year.

I just can't see anyone paying for significant amounts of carbon capture and all the energy required to run it when you can just stop burning those fossil fuels and use wind power instead!

The solution must be able to “pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans and lock it away permanently in an environmentally benign way.”

This worries me, because if something can be "locked away" there's also a chance it can be released or otherwise escape. Didn't we solve the nuclear waste problem by doing something similar? :cautious: It's an inherently flawed approach; either we should be converting the CO2 to something else or we should be sending it away from our planet (and the latter might not be wise either).

P.S. (I've been fighting with my user hostile spell checker which apparently thinks "gigaton" should be spelled "rigatoni") :smuggrin:

Thank you, but I think I'll pasta on using autocratic spiel chunkers cents icon dew a butter jab mice elf :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Orsted ( voted the worlds most green power company for the past 3 years ) also just got a new CEO, it will be interesting to see where he take the company even if i do not have shares in it.

Elon also just but 1.5 billion in bitcoin, so 1 ton of CO2 per day i think the worlds bitcoin farms put out more CO2 than that, not least since many of them are in China, that almost build a coal power plant every week.

I am looking forward to the day when Denmark are not a world leader in the price for one KW/h, but that is probably never going to happen,,,,,,,, MAN i hate paying over the top for nothing.

Meanwhile the Danish have just launched an even bigger wind turbine, now with a 10.8 acre sweep area, producing enough power to save 38000 tonnes of CO2 emissions from fossil fuel per year!

I just can't see anyone paying for significant amounts of carbon capture and all the energy required to run it when you can just stop burning those fossil fuels and use wind power instead!

Musk is perhaps the most brilliant and successful technology innovator on the plant but as with literally every other subject on earth you pompously claim to know better than all the experts. It is hilarious!

If you had ever bothered to listen to any of the talks he's given on climate change or for that matter followed the work of fellow Vermonter, author and journalist Bill McKibben who penned the first general audience book on global warming back in 1989, The End of Nature, you would understand that it will take more than windmills and solar panels to pull humanity back from the brink of catastrophic climate change in time to prevent going past the coming tipping point. In fact, there is a good chance that at the 420ppm atmospheric C02 level we are already at we are already there. See: 350.org

Elon Musk has publicly stated that the reason he founded Tesla was to accelerate the transition away from humanity's reliance on the internal combustion engine so the world can, "just stop burning those fossil fuels". And unlike other tech billionaires who seek profit alone, Musk literally gave away the technology and patents back in 2014 for his electric vehicles in the pursuit of the goal of transitioning the planet to electric powered motor vehicles as fast as possible.

See: Tesla to give away technology secrets to competitors

And now Musk has donated 100 million dollars towards the goal of trying to repair the damage that has already been done by attempting to rebalance the earth's carbon cycle. He's not suggesting an alternative to ceasing the use of fossil fuels, this is in addition to it and it may not be an option but rather a necessity. Like I said above, Musk is someone who puts his money where is mouth is.

Perhaps you should pay closer attention to what Musk is actually doing before you launch into your knee jerk pontificating?

Last edited:
This worries me, because if something can be "locked away" there's also a chance it can be released or otherwise escape. Didn't we solve the nuclear waste problem by doing something similar? :cautious:It's an inherently flawed approach; either we should be converting the CO2 to something else or we should be sending it away from our planet (and the latter might not be wise either).

Thank you, but I think I'll pasta on using autocratic spiel chunkers cents icon dew a butter jab mice elf :ROFLMAO:

Phil
Well, obviously with that attitude you obviously shouldn't enter the competition. ;)

Perhaps you don't really understand the magnitude of the problem Phil, so I would suggest that you try to picture in your mind exactly what a billion metric tons of rigatoni looks like! :D

8dfc45ebe3a41192f8722233ba07e63a.jpg

At least it will be a fly trap when all that rigatoni start to go bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back