Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
Climate change action in 2020 largely got cancelled by the covid-19, even the United Nations Climate Change Conference was postponed.
Maybe in 2021 something will actually be done, maybe the conference will take place?
Maybe even the USA might take some action if Trump eventually departs?

The CCPI has published it's 2021 rankings, Sweden won again, the UK knocked Denmark down into "3rd" place, and the USA took last place once again:

1609493778994.png

1609493803854.png

https://ccpi.org/ranking/

USA, Canada and Australia are a long way behind:
1609493640566.png
and in some ways going backwards:

1609496741699.png

To stand a reasonable chance of hitting the 1.5C target we need to halve total emissions by the end of 2030, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the UN-backed body that collates the science needed to inform policy.

1609504352760.png

I can't see that halving total emissions by 2030 will keep us under 1.5°C. We'll likely reach 1.5 by 2030 anyway (with a pre-industrial datum) and will still have a continuing climb in temperature for 10+ years afterwards even if emissions were net zero.
We really need a massive change in our lifestyle expectations as global citizens.

I always joke.
Are global warming not a good thing ? it mean we use less oil to heat our homes, so thats a win right ??

On a serious note, the changes we need to implement are probably bigger and more expensive than people like, or at least that is what people think.
It is the same people that now will argue that there is no way the world would work without smart phones,,,,, and of course the world would work just fine without those.

Same with the people that live in a major town and have a 15 minute commute to their work in one of their 3 cars, well no chance in hell you will ever get those over into public transportation.

Denmark boast to be a front runner on this, and i have no words for that, but i am wondering why we should push ahead so aggressive when no other country do so too, i mean it is not like the nice clean air will stay here in Denmark.
And it is not like we have the patent on wind turbines, so even that are not something the country can live by in the future, so anything we do anyone are welcome to copy if they can get their tax payers onboard with the idea, cuz at least here it are a pretty expensive venture.
We have tonnes of "free" wind power, but we still have the worlds highest KWh price,,,, or at least are in top 3 i am sure, so how ever they ( politicians ) have made the sell here are beyond me.
And they are pushing for electric heating in homes now, which i have a hard time seeing how that can be cheaper for people, and the electric cars, well when you charge at those KWh prices we have, that got to be much less of a insensitive for people.
And it is not that gasoline are cheap we pay about the same as the Americans but for one liter and not a gallon ( 3.7 liters as i recall )

The way i look at things in my own country and worldwide, there are no end to things i can find that just do not add up.

In New Zealand our electricity is fairly expensive as well but also 85% renewable. But we have no EV purchase incentives. I have one however and it cost twice that of a petrol car. Our agricultural industry doubles our emissions placing us among the worst in the world per-capita, #28 in the table above.

My flat is heated with electricity (heat pumps of course) but I recognise that there are difficulties in climates under -5°C. That cold is not necessarily going anywhere, another fallacy of the subject. Severe weather is the most obvious outcome of the increased global average temperature, both cold and hot weather included.

Some of the more interesting recent research is how North America and Europe will be affected by the continuing loss of northern summer sea ice. The cold snaps from troughs that hit the US in the winter were already tied to the arctic polar jetstreams and that process will become more volatile in the coming decades. Europe could experience more devastating summers that it is unprepared for.

It's a fascinating but complex subject, one that humans are completely ill-equipped to recognise intuitively. This pandemic is a cakewalk in comparison to what humans face past mid-century.

Warmer weather here mean many birds do not fly further south in winter, so now we see increased phosphorus values in lakes, also higher water temperatures are problematic, not least for trout / salmon,,,, the few we have left.
There was plans to make Danish farming emission free by 2030 i think it was,,,,, if thats the case they better get the finger out as farming here make up a lot of our pollution.
Of course "them" just having killed off all mink farms here, well that did actually bring us in line with emissions as they was planned / expected to be now.
But i think the biggest problem are the 13 million pigs here, the methane farting cows well we have some but Denmark are not that big on dairy exports as i recall.

Denmark boast to be a front runner on this, and i have no words for that, but i am wondering why we should push ahead so aggressive when no other country do so too, i mean it is not like the nice clean air will stay here in Denmark.
I think that has been the biggest problem to actually making progress, every country leaves it to someone else to do the research and development. The few that do should get rewarded through things like the patent system, but that really isn't going to work well.

It is true that Denmark and UK are well ahead in the wind energy business, we started in the 1980s so 40 years ahead, and while others will copy our work, we will see some advantage, and over time we may well see more advantage than others get from the oil business today. Once fossil fuel is banned, any form of energy will be highly valuable, and UK and Denmark will be exporting large quantities of wind energy in the form of green hydrogen for transportation and shipping / green aviation fuel to run the worlds airlines / green fertiliser for turning agriculture net zero / green electricity for domestic and industrial use across Europe, etc.

On a serious note, the changes we need to implement are probably bigger and more expensive than people like, or at least that is what people think.
Denmark's electricity may currently be expensive, but onshore wind is now the cheapest source of power, and offshore wind must be about to overtake it and become the cheapest. Denmark and UK both have commitments to pay expensive prices for wind power from the first wind farms, that is just the cost of our investment in the technology, but the size of those early expensive wind farms is going to become insignificant as we build bigger and bigger wind turbines and farms. Just 1 new offshore turbine today generates about 16x the power of our first commercial wind farm, that wind farm is still running and its electricity is expensive, but it is also insignificant.

And they are pushing for electric heating in homes now, which i have a hard time seeing how that can be cheaper for people, and the electric cars, well when you charge at those KWh prices we have, that got to be much less of a insensitive for people.
Given that wind energy from the next generation wind farms will be cheaper than any other form of energy, heating homes with electricity becomes sensible, it will be the cheap way to do it. It is not difficult, you can buy an electric heater for $10. Yes, a heat pump will normally use less power, but saving small amounts of power is maybe not necessary if the power is cheap and there is plenty of it and it is net zero carbon. The electric cars will also be cheaper to run than fossil fueled cars, they already are here, apart from the purchase price which will inevitably drop; why would you buy anything else? The same goes for everything that uses power, we might not be there yet, but net zero electricity from wind is going to be our cheapest power source, even without any subsidies or incentives to use it.

Same with the people that live in a major town and have a 15 minute commute to their work in one of their 3 cars, well no chance in hell you will ever get those over into public transportation.
No need to move to public transportation, decent electric cars for 15 minute commuting are already available and we have green electricity to power them, we still need to transform the steel and other industries that build them to use green electricity instead of coal etc, but that can be done easily as the wind farms multiply exponentially.

but i am wondering why we should push ahead so aggressive when no other country do so too,
The other countries will be forced to do so, things like the EU carbon border tax will force them. Most of the big co2 emitting countries have already agreed to do so even though they have been doing little about it until now, but now real action is necessary.

The big problem is that those other countries have not developed the necessary technology, in the UK we have developed offshore wind power with the help of our friends in Denmark and Norway, we have a route to huge amounts of cheap green energy, far more than we currently use. The other countries assume they can copy us, but look at a map of where the world's winds are located and you soon realise that the windiest place in the world is the UK, our wind power is cheap, in other places around the world wind power is always going to be more expensive, far more expensive in most places, and there other technologies would be more appropriate except they haven't been developed yet. Solar power for the sunny places, but that is still a lot more expensive than wind and many places don't have much sun. For places like New Zealand hydro power works well, but most places don't have enough water, certainly not enough water for huge expansion over current output. If you want to make net zero aviation fuel then you will be heading to the North sea between UK, Norway and Denmark because that will be the cheapest place to make it unless there are some major unexpected developments in other power sources.

So the answer to your question about why we should push ahead, is that we want to ensure that we stop the rise in temperature before it has such a big effect on climate that we lose our winds and thus our status as the source of the world's cheapest green power exports.

It's a fascinating but complex subject, one that humans are completely ill-equipped to recognise intuitively. This pandemic is a cakewalk in comparison to what humans face past mid-century.
We have solved the pandemic in less than a year, we now have a choice of vaccines. OK, there is an issue with manufacturing capacity, but the problem is solved and deaths from the virus will be eliminated probably within a couple of years.

Yes climate change is a much bigger issue, but the answer is simple, all that is needed is to stop burning fossil fuels and use net zero fertilizer for crops. We already have the knowledge to be able to do it, the world just needs to act urgently, and the biggest CO2 emitters most urgently, USA has the highest CO2 output per person, it can't stay at the bottom of the list.

I can't see that halving total emissions by 2030 will keep us under 1.5°C. We'll likely reach 1.5 by 2030 anyway (with a pre-industrial datum) and will still have a continuing climb in temperature for 10+ years afterwards even if emissions were net zero.
We really need a massive change in our lifestyle expectations as global citizens.
Yes, nobody now knows what is going to happen, it is becoming too unpredictable as we move away from the comfort zone. And a massive change takes time, and there are only 9 years left until the 2030 deadline! The UK's attempt to decarbonise our electricity shows that we have about halved the emissions in 8 years, suggests that 2030 is still a possibility for others, except that others have not prepared, new power stations can take decades to build.

UK electricity sources 2012 to 2020, steady progress towards net zero by 2030:
1609583553215.png
Wind is now our 2nd source of electricity after gas, overtaking nuclear last year, and currently new wind electricity is about quarter the price of new nuclear electricity and still getting cheaper.

Last edited:
I want a stellerator or 4, just for those calm days.

I want a stellerator or 4, just for those calm days.
Nuclear power is not just for the calm days!
The cost of building and running it is so high compared to the cost of the fuel that once it is built you run it flat out 24/7.
I am very doubtful that even nuclear fusion will become cheaper than wind power within this century.

If you build enough wind turbines then the calm days are not an issue, all that happens is that on the very calm days most of the turbines are generating electricity for domestic purposes, on the calmish days they also power industry, on the windy days they also generate synthetic hydrogen and hydrocarbon fuels for shipping and aviation, and on the very windy days they also create hydrocarbon fertilizers (ammonium nitrate fertilizer through electrolysis). So all the power always gets used, which makes them very efficient and cheap to run, forget about those solar panels as backup, the electricity from them is twice the cost, and nuclear 4x the cost.

(Assuming you live somewhere with a decent average wind speed, it is not going to work in tropical regions, but Denmark is rich in wind power.)

Last edited:
Yeah it is not even working now, so still need a quantum leap to be feasible.
But at least the stellarator approach are much cheaper than the tokamak approach, so the base are laid down now, so just a matter of tweaking the knobs to find out how to keep them running, and then you can probably still cut some corners / costs.
TBH i also find some modern nuclear reactor designs interesting, they are now so foolproof i am almost willing to let a Dane operate one, and as they can run on garbage fuel from the past decades, then it is even more interesting to me.
Power to X is also going to be interesting in the decade to come, already now there are solutions out there, some seem okay some are almost crackpot but probably still feasible.

I was thinking earlier today how messed up it all is. Companies and nations claiming they are 'carbon neutral' because they buy up 'carbon credits' from others, yet they are still producing the excess carbon emissions in the same quantity :eek: And claims of 'zero emissions' for electric power when all the parts and pieces needed for it have to be made which produces carbon emissions even if the end energy is 'clean'. Especially the electronics waste from the computers which make it all work- that is particularly bad for our planet :( We're seeing electric power much in the same way that nuclear energy was seen in the 50's; a 'savior' of sorts that makes energy trouble-free and cheaply. The approaches we're taking are entirely wrong here even if the goals and concepts are laudable :cautious:

As something of a student of off-grid solar power systems the first lesson learned is that you can't run the average American household as they are now on solar energy. On-grid homes are more efficient than ever but still require too much electricity for a stand-alone system to be viable, especially in hotter climates where air conditioning is necessary for much of the year. Lesson number one is to reduce consumption, for without that nothing else matters :oops: Reduced energy consumption is where most of the gains are to be found regardless of the fuel used to generate that energy ;) but that means lots of lifestyle changes which most people aren't willing to readily accept. If people won't change then nothing you can do solves the problem; it can only delay it.

In historic times populations were massed where their numbers could live sustainably. Few people lived in deserts and arctic areas because those places could not sustain more, while places where there were ample forests, farmlands, aquaculture, resources, or trade had lots of people. They essentially lived with nature by necessity; they had no other options. Transportation was done via natural means for the same reason- there were no other choices. 'Fuel' delivery was just too costly to be feasible at longer distances so people lived near the fuel sources or where 'fuel' delivery was economically feasible. Everything was self-limiting and in balance with nature :cool: Most importantly little to nothing was wasted as that could not be afforded; every resource was seen as being precious and limited.

Now we see and do things differently and that's why we've got a screwed-up world. Nature hasn't changed it's ways but we have. Cities like Los Angeles exist only because water is piped in, and there have been wars over that water. London can't be sustained by the Thames alone anymore even if pollution weren't an issue, ditto for Paris and the Seine. Irrigation, chemicals, and modern powered machinery is what makes America's Great Plains so productive of crops but that water is running out as aquifers decline, and fuel costs for all that machinery only keeps rising not to mention what the chemicals do and what it takes to make them. As an aside here can someone explain to me how you power all that most necessary machinery by electricity? Yep, can't be done. So forget about banning fossil fuels- we can't :devilish: And we've caused that all by our own selves thinking how smart we are in making those machines and using them :geek: The very things that allow human life on the scale it exists today are becoming unusable and slowly killing us. This planet isn't capable of sustaining our numbers and also surviving in the long term. Technology took us here so technology isn't going to save us o_O I'm not proposing we all become "Luddites" but we'd darn well better stop and step back and look very carefully at what's being proposed as solutions to our problems because they're not going to work in the end unless we vastly change the way we live first. Our approaches to life on this planet are now of a scale where we're changing the whole planet and willingly killing ourselves in toto because we want our modern conveniences and advantages over the simple but hard lives that this planet could and did for so long sustain.

Human nature being what it is our mass suicide isn't going to stop till we're all dead because we're not as smart as we think we are and that's the single source of all our failures.

Phil

Yeah it is not even working now, so still need a quantum leap to be feasible.
But at least the stellarator approach are much cheaper than the tokamak approach, so the base are laid down now, so just a matter of tweaking the knobs to find out how to keep them running, and then you can probably still cut some corners / costs.
It is still a long way in the future before it could possibly be generating a substantial proportion of the worlds energy.

TBH i also find some modern nuclear reactor designs interesting, they are now so foolproof i am almost willing to let a Dane operate one, and as they can run on garbage fuel from the past decades, then it is even more interesting to me.
Yes, not much wrong with modern nuclear fission, most of the lessons that needed learning have been learned, all the disasters have been with designs that would not be allowed today.

But it is not an answer for 2030, it is taking around 8 years to build our new ones, and we are building them one at a time since we don't have capacity to build them any faster, and the current new one is going to have an output of 3.26GW, which sounds a lot until you look at our new windfarm that will produce 4.8GW, and even accounting for the fact that wind farms don't average full power, it is still expected to produce more electricity than the far more expensive nuclear power station.

unit_1_hr_ring_1_lift_-_17th_dec_2020_-_003.jpg

Power to X is also going to be interesting in the decade to come, already now there are solutions out there, some seem okay some are almost crackpot but probably still feasible.
That is the only viable solution given the now short timescales, it does work and can be scaled up, at costs that can be afforded, only thing holding it up is that it is currently not a good investment for private funding, until the rules change...

Last edited:
As an aside here can someone explain to me how you power all that most necessary machinery by electricity? Yep, can't be done. So forget about banning fossil fuels- we can't :devilish:
Electricity can be used to electrolyse water into hydrogen, hydrogen can be combined with carbon to produce synthetic hydrocarbon fuel, and nitrogen to produce ammonia based fuel and fertilizer, all of which can be produced with zero CO2 emissions over the full cycle.

Whatever the fuel requirements of your machinery, it can be powered by net zero electricity.

And claims of 'zero emissions' for electric power when all the parts and pieces needed for it have to be made which produces carbon emissions even if the end energy is 'clean'.
Making the pieces does not require carbon emissions, you make them using energy from zero emission sources, use net zero fuel for transportation and installation, some of the wind turbine manufacturers now have net zero commitments for the full supply chain:

Electricity can be used to electrolyse water into hydrogen, hydrogen can be combined with carbon to produce synthetic hydrocarbon fuel, and nitrogen to produce ammonia based fuel and fertilizer, all of which can be produced with zero CO2 emissions over the full cycle.

Whatever the fuel requirements of your machinery, it can be powered by net zero electricity.

Nope- there are emissions and costs and losses in every conversion from one form to another, plus the same applies to the tools, machinery, and processes needed to do that. You're not looking at the whole picture- see below.
Making the pieces does not require carbon emissions, you make them using energy from zero emission sources, use net zero fuel for transportation and installation, some of the wind turbine manufacturers now have net zero commitments for the full supply chain:

I want to see you mining every centimeter of copper wire these things need without creating carbon emissions. Dig the ore by hand, smelt and purify it by hand, form it into wire by hand, carry it by hand to where you want to use it, wind the armatures and such by hand, lift the turbine onto it's tower by hand, then continue the wire runs to each user where their devices needing that power are also made by hand. And not just wire is needed for this but huge amounts of other things all of which must also be made, transported, devised, installed, and maintained, every bit of which requires the input of energy and adds to greenhouse gasses and pollution all on it's own. And even if all this could be done by hand which it can't, the humans doing the work are emitting greenhouse gasses :ROFLMAO: I'm not being facetious; do stop and clear your mind and look at it all again, everything from start to finish missing not one single step in the process. Do that and you now see this:

There is no possible way to reach zero when zero does not exist, and the more technical you make the 'solution' the more of the problem you're trying to solve you create for yourself :eek: It truly is as I said: technology brought us here so technology cannot solve it's own problems. Anyone who thinks it is the answer is not as smart as they think they are. These things may help us in one way but are making it all worse in other ways while that happens; trading off problems is as ludicrous as believing that buying carbon credits actually reduces the amount being produced.

The only way we're going to not kill ourselves by killing our planet is to begin living with nature and the planet as it is by choice since it can't force us to live that way itself anymore the way it once did. And we both know that ain't gonna happen :cry: Let's do what we can but let's not fool ourselves thinking we're making things better when we're only making them different. We can't solve the problem when we are the problem :cautious:

Phil

London can't be sustained by the Thames alone anymore even if pollution weren't an issue,
Actually, London is pretty much sustained by the Thames, and its other river the Lea. Water in those rivers is used, cleaned and returned to the river several times by different towns and cities in its journey down the river, London being the last.

In drought conditions when the river water doesn't have enough dilution and microbe action to meet standards, there is a new London desalination plant that takes low salinity water from the Thames estuary and converts it into drinking water using 100% renewable energy.

It is possible to make positive changes to our environment:
According to a survey by the Zoological Society of London, over 2000 seals have been spotted in the Thames between 2004-2014. Also sighted were 100s of porpoise and on rare occasions, a whale. 400 species of invertebrate and 125 species of fish now thrive in the Thames, up from almost none in 1950.

Only problem now is the amount of non-biodegradable microplastics in the river.

As something of a student of off-grid solar power systems the first lesson learned is that you can't run the average American household as they are now on solar energy.
All energy is expensive and inefficient at low scale, yet with the latest wind turbines, we can power a UK home for a day with about 3 seconds power from 1 wind turbine.

every bit of which requires the input of energy and adds to greenhouse gasses and pollution all on it's own.
it only adds to greenhouse gasses if the energy comes from fossil fuels, get the energy from zero carbon sources and there is no problem. We can make aviation fuel from wind power, once it becomes large scale we can power the Airbus A380 using it, currently our hydrogen aircraft are a little smaller, but it can be done, and will be done:

There is no possible way to reach zero when zero does not exist,
We do not need to get to zero, all we need to reach is the point when the amount of CO2 being put into the atmosphere matches the amount being removed (both naturally and artificially), maybe a bit less since it is inevitable that we are going to overshoot the desirable amount in the atmosphere.

Although there are a lot of environmental issues to solve, the big one, the one causing climate change, which we need to solve urgently, is simply that the burning of fossil fuels is putting too much CO2 into the atmosphere, we need to halt the burning of fossil fuels, then that big problem is solved, and a few other issues are solved as well such as acid rain from burning coal. We can stop burning fossil fuels, there are other power sources available.

Last edited:
it only adds to greenhouse gasses if the energy comes from fossil fuels, get the energy from zero carbon sources and there is no problem.

But this is exactly what happens, or it's done with nuclear power which has it's own ills attached. When you consider what goes into the making and maintaining and disposal of a wind turbine there is a very large impact left behind, and not only in 'greenhouse gasses'. And this is exactly what is wrong with the way these are being thought about :cautious:

They are a good idea, and they have great merit, but they are not as free from adverse impact on out planet as you and others try to make them out to be. You're looking only at greenhouse gasses and not seeing the whole picture, just the same as nuclear power was seen in the 50's when nobody was considering the nuclear waste perspective :oops: We cannot allow or follow that kind of flawed approach to thought- it simply does not work :mad: And it will be a long time before they make enough energy so that other energy sources are not needed to make and use them.

Any time you convert one form of energy to another you incur losses- it cannot be done perfectly. Hydrogen fuels have been long known and long considered. There are numerous reasons they are not being used and while technology can overcome some of the problems it can't solve them all. The high pressures needed to store sufficient quantities of hydrogen requires very strong containment, especially where you have movement, temperature changes, vibrations, corrosion and more trying to weaken the container. There are great safety risks involved using hydrogen this way. It's stoichrometric range is so wide that in almost any concentration it will burn, and it does so at an extremely fast rate; think explosion, not deflagration like LP gas does. It can be feasible in use in stationary applications but it's ages away from replacing airplane fuel- or fuel for any other use for that matter. There's no distribution network for one thing, and building that will take a large expense. The production plants for it of sufficient capacity to support widespread use do not exist; they will have to be built. By the time all this is dealt with it becomes very uneconomical to widely use as a motor fuel. Much the same can be said for plug-in EV's where many places simply don't have the electrical generation and transmission capacity to sustain them in widespread use. But at least photovoltaic and wind turbines are producing the final form of energy innately so no conversion losses are incurred, and at least part of the infrastructure for it's distribution already exists.

The more you use technology to solve the problems technology creates, the more infrastructure it needs to accomplish this, the more inherent losses you incur, the more overall pollution you get, and the more uneconomical it becomes. Same as FW upgrades with dashcams, solving one problem often leads to causing another, and sometimes in unexpected ways and places.. Tradeoffs are not progress, they are only changes, and you can't solve problems by shifting the problems around :eek:

Phil

And it will be a long time before they make enough energy so that other energy sources are not needed to make and use them.
That is the problem, most countries are not installing enough renewable power sources, or even low carbon sources.

I assume that most of the energy needed to make a wind turbine comes from the electricity grid, in the UK, in the 3rd quarter of 2020:
Renewable generation comprised 40.2 per cent of total UK electricity generation, slightly less than the fossil fuel share at 42.5 per cent.
The rest is presumably low carbon sources such as nuclear.

So less than half the energy comes from fossil fuel already, and we are heading for zero fossil fuel in the electricity grid by 2030, at which point there will be very little CO2 released by manufacturing.

The study finds each kilowatt hour of electricity generated over the lifetime of a nuclear plant has an emissions footprint of 4 grammes of CO2 equivalent (gCO2e/kWh). The footprint of solar comes in at 6gCO2e/kWh and wind is also 4gCO2e/kWh. In contrast, coal CCS (109g), gas CCS (78g), hydro (97g) and bioenergy (98g) have relatively high emissions, compared to a global average target for a 2C world of 15gCO2e/kWh in 2050.

When you consider what goes into the making and maintaining and disposal of a wind turbine there is a very large impact left behind, and not only in 'greenhouse gasses'. And this is exactly what is wrong with the way these are being thought about :cautious:
Efforts are being made to make the turbine parts fully recyclable, there is also a lot less waste than there used to be due to increased scale and lifespan. But any remaining waste is not causing the climate change problem, and it is climate change that is the urgent issue.

Compared to the massive environmental destruction caused by a coal mine...

Any time you convert one form of energy to another you incur losses- it cannot be done perfectly.
That does not matter since the energy was zero carbon to start with, so zero carbon is wasted in conversion!
Generally the "lost" energy is in the form of heat, if you have enough of it then it can power steam turbines and regenerate the electrical power, or it can be used for other things such as heating, it does not have to be wasted. Actually destroying energy is against the rules of physics.

Hydrogen fuels have been long known and long considered. There are numerous reasons they are not being used and while technology can overcome some of the problems it can't solve them all.
The UK domestic gas supply used to be hydrogen, produced from coal, it was a perfectly good source of domestic heating and cooking fuel. Most current appliances are not designed to be compatible, but we are currently running a trial with 20% hydrogen mixed with natural gas to be used as a transition. Hydrogen storage is still a problem being worked on, but you don't have to use hydrogen for distribution, for jet aircraft use it is expected that the hydrogen will be converted to synthetic jet fuel that can be used in current jet engines.

Much the same can be said for plug-in EV's where many places simply don't have the electrical generation and transmission capacity to sustain them in widespread use.
Things have got to change, use of fossil fuels will end.

Why do you not have the transmission capacity?
Maybe you need a new HVDC supergrid around the USA?

Our new UK HVDC link to Norway is connected and under test, currently the "longest subsea interconnector in the world", so now we can export another 1.4GW of spare wind power on windy days, and get it back from the Norwegian hydro power on calm days:

I'm looking forward to reading this recent book which discusses the difficulties moving into greener energy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07Y3WHZZH
Lots of difficulties, but most of them seem to be transition difficulties, for example UK has recently been turning off the wind turbines because we have a requirement for instant backup if a power source fails, and the current source of instant backup is from the inertia of rotating steam turbines, so we can't shut down all the gas power plants even if we have plenty of wind. It is costing a lot in wasted power. However in the future that issue will disappear, we will be able to use wind turbines that normally generate electricity for green hydrogen production and simply turn off the electrolysers to free up sufficient backup power.

I suspect any book written in the last couple of years will be well out of date in another couple of years!

Not a good example for anyone to follow, but California- especially the southern parts- has for years operated it's electrical grid poorly leaving it unable to handle the highest loads without turning off parts of it completely (rolling blackouts). It cannot handle the future loads which are expected to come with increased use of "plug-in" EV's and yet they have also written into law mandates which will soon prohibit most non-electric cars. On top of that they also cannot generate enough electricity on their own; a large percentage of their power is bought from other states who have less and less 'excess;' to sell as their own electrical demands increase. And in many other parts of the world the electrical grids are marginal and/or unreliable. Some of the more remote island nations also have limited generating and distribution capacity even to the point of shutting the electricity off every night till dawn approaches again!

Only parts of the world are capable of supporting an all-EV vehicle scenario. Most of the places which can't support that also can't afford to upgrade their grids to make it possible, unlike California which has been voluntarily killing itself for a long time. And there's also the problem of transporting large and heavy goods over long distances. So far EV trucks are very much distance constrained with little hope for large improvements due to battery technology limits. Rail is not always an alternative and again converting that to electric is financially impossible when you will have to build a grid and generation capacity for it over vast distances like the US west and many other places must deal with.

So even though the possibility exists today, there is no way to power all the land vehicles we now have with electricity. Nor hydrogen. Nor any other technology we have. If we are to address that problem the first step we will have to take is reducing the number of land vehicles as much as is possible which isn't going to happen; nobody is going to give up their car without a fight. Nopbody is going to willingly pay double or more of the current cost for shipping. It may happen in some places where it's truly viable but not elsewhere, at least not for decades, and lacking that universality it's not going to have an appreciable effect on greenhouse gasses and climate change.

The only way we can achieve this is to return to the old ways of living with nature and having populations located only in the places where they can be economically sustained. Which like the loss of their cars will be met with a near-universal and powerful resistance from us inherently stupid humans who somehow think we can design a world better than nature can :ROFLMAO::eek::( So yeah, lets do what we can but don't for a moment believe it's going to much matter in the end because it won't.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back