No bluetooth button - how to save a snapshot?

beesee

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I am a lucky owner of Mini2 and Mini3 - there is a bluetooth button included. When you press the button, you can take up to 30 seconds video snapshot. Mini 5 does not have a bluetooth button anymore. How can we take a snapshot video now? The only one physical button on the Mini 5 is only for mic recording ON/OFF switching.

Thank you for any ideas.

As far as I know, only the G sensor can do that for you now. My unit is about to arrive tho, so I can't confirm it for sure.

Normally there also is a event button on the dashcams them self, maybe long pressing MIC button are event ??? otherwise if G sensor is on you can flick the camera to force a g sensor event and lock of files.

The only button on the camera switches MIC recording on/off and long press is for camera reset. It would be very nice, if this button could be used for taking snapshot, but it does not work by this way... It looks like the G-sensor is the only possibility. Of course you can save video from the app, but this is not comfortable when driving. This is a big step back compared to previous cameras like Mini2, Mini3... It was so easy before - just press the bluetooth button... :-(

Here is the answer from ddpai support, that make me so sad...
Hardware 10pts, App and Support -10
Screenshot_20210121_182356.jpg

OMG :-( I can´t understand such a downgrade from DDPAI :-( The Mini-5 looks so great (hardware and tech-specs), but the software is really bad.

There are so many possibilities how to make it elegant:
1) Give us an oportunity to connect with bluetooth button like on previous models
2) update the firmware to a nice function: after pressing the only button on the Mini-5 take a video emergency snapshot (i would prefer this variant)
3) Enable Voice control - something like "DDPAI record a video"... ;-)

I also wrote to the ddpai support e-mail - maybe if many of users write them, they will change it? :)

Richx: thank you very much! I tried the Mini2/3 bluetooth button (it looks exactly like the one from your post), but it does not work. Of course I tried to flash the latest chinese FW version and in the APP there is a new option to pair a bluetooth button. I will try to order the button for Mini5, but I have to wait for availabilty on Aliexpress, eBay,.., because I can´t order from your link from Czech Republic/Europe. Does anybody have idea, where to buy it with shipment to Europe?

Last edited:
I can't seem to find that button on other platforms like Lazada or Banggood. The only reason I came across it was via the China-edition DDPai Android app (it was advertised on the front page and I clicked). If the Tmall link allows shipping to Hong Kong, perhaps you can then use a forwarding agency to assist you to get it to your country. Example like these guys.

PS: Apparently Tmall has built-in link for their panel of supported forwarding agencies. When you check out you can see the list of supported forwarders and see how much it costs for them to handle your package.

Last edited:
@beesee I was prompted by the China APK app for new firmware update for Mini 5. In the changelog (then Google translated) it says add support for bluetooth button. Maybe this firmware would be able to help you pair your old Mini2/3 buttons as well? The version is 7.0.1.1, I've extracted from my phone's folders and uploaded for you if you feel inclined to try it out. My existing version is 7.0.0.39.

richx: thank you very much. I tried to update the firmware to 7.0.1.1 from your upload, I can see the "pair button" in the app, but unfortunately it does not work with button from DDPAI 3 Mini. Probably we need to buy the button especially for Mini5... But thank you once again for your help ;-)

I was prompted by the China APK app for new firmware update for Mini 5.
The 7.0.0.17 firmware has enabled Bluetooth support and i can see the 'low energy' BT broadcast discovery (|%......DDPai Mini5_Overseas.) from Mini5 on my laptop with 'hcidump'.

@richx I am able to get that D5 mini B1 bluetooth button from someone is china. Do you think it will work with international version D5 mini ?

To make it work, do I just use Chinese DDPAI app or I also need to flash Chinese update on my ddpai mini 5 ?

Further question : How would I get chinese flash file for mini 5 ?

Thanks in advance Bro.

To make it work, do I just use Chinese DDPAI app or I also need to flash Chinese update on my ddpai mini 5 ?
The latest official "Mini5_Overseas" fimware (from 2021-04-12) supports bluetooth, why do you need an app ?
Further question : How would I get chinese flash file for mini 5 ?
There war a link posted in this thread earlier.

The mini5 button is a TELINK bluetooth LE device, sending 4 events: power, photo, mute and reset.
If the exact event characteristics and properties will be documented, a programmable bluetooth LE device (i.e. smartphone)
can be used to send them.

The only button on the camera switches MIC recording on/off and long press is for camera reset. It would be very nice, if this button could be used for taking snapshot, but it does not work by this way...
Actually there are 7 registered software defined button events:
short click (MIC on/off,ID=0x10800000), multiple short click (WIFI on/off,ID=0x1080001), first long click(?,ID=0x1080002?), second long click (?,ID=0x1080003?), long click (factory reset,ID=0x10800004), hold down (?,ID=0x10800005), hold up(?,ID=0x10800006), group key (?,ID=?):
Code:
$ strings main_app | grep ^Registe | grep key
Register short click key event fail
Register multiple short click key event fail
Register first long click key event fail
Register second long click key event fail
Register long click key event fail
Register hold down key event fail
Register hold up key event fail
Register group key event fail

Last edited:
helg: thank you for interesting info. The question now is, if someone could redefine the events to take a snapshot instead of switch wifi on/off ;-)

if someone could redefine the events to take a snapshot instead of switch wifi on/off ;-)
The events have numeric IDs, it should be possible to binary patch the main_app, if somebody will understand the disassembled event handling code :geek:
KEY button is physically hooked to GPIO(5,7)=GPIO(5*8+7)=GPIO47, which is being monitored by a main_app keyevent thread.
This is how it looks in the logfile, events have arguments which i don't quite understand:
Code:
[EVTCOMMNG]:EVTCOMM_OnEvent[317]:EventID:0x10800000, arg1:0x9, arg2:0, result:0
[EVTCOMMNG]:EVTCOMM_ProcShortClick[875]:HI_HAL_KEY_IDX_MINI5 Short

[EVTCOMMNG]:EVTCOMM_OnEvent[317]:EventID:0x10800001, arg1:0x9, arg2:0, result:0
[EVTCOMMNG]:EVTCOMM_ProcMultiplClick[925]:HI_HAL_KEY_IDX_MINI5 Multiple

[EVTCOMMNG]:EVTCOMM_OnEvent[317]:EventID:0x10800004, arg1:0x9, arg2:0, result:0
HI_HAL_KEY_IDX_MINI5 Long
PDT_STATEMNG_BaseStateMsgProc][920]: try to process message HI_EVENT_STATEMNG_FACTORY_RESET
[VOICE_PlaySingleAud][483]: push enVoiceId=120, ret=0
[VOICEPLAY]:VOICEPLAY_PlayToEof[102]:pszPath=/app/bin/res/voice/aud_resetting.m4a
HAL_SPEAKER_Switch[57]:eSpeakerSwitch:0
[VOICEPLAY]:VOICEPLAY_PlayerEventProc[231]:player state change to 3
[VOICEPLAY]:VOICEPLAY_PlayerEventProc[242]:the voice ends
[VOICEPLAY]:VOICEPLAY_PlayToEof[145]:/app/bin/res/voice/aud_resetting.m4a play over

Last edited:
I got the B1 bluetooth button(the one for Mini 5) and Mini 5 finally(it was replaced on Amazon as previous one got camera error one fine day).

Mini 5, didn't show Bluetooth connection option in 7.0.0.17 or 7.0.0.19(which was somehow the latest I was getting on DDPAI app.

I tried updating to 20210412 update as mentioned by @helg, but somehow this device doesn't takes update. I also tried 7.0.1.10, it also didn't update. I then tried 7.0.0.45, this I was able to update.

This one shows Bluetooth option on both chinese and English ddpai apps. And Bluetooth button works perfectly. :cool:

Noted few interesting things on chinese apk, (not present on English one),
1. upload to cloud[not sure where], figuring out.
2. Voice control toggle. need to figure out what are the Chinese keywords
3. Some option called 'Car Machine Pairing', inside that option, it asks for 2.4 Ghz wifi hotspot user/passwd and some token, looks like something to do with cloud connection via hotspot.

will update more as i find out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N mini5 0