camera stuck in boot loop

tibbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys!
new user here, please be gentle!...

My wife came home this evening saying that her camera wasn't working correctly, and it seems to be stuck in an infinite boot loop. It does this both when connected in the car and when hooked-up to the wall via usb cable (as we tried to charge it up).
It is stuck in the same boot loop whether the SD card is inserted or not.

When you switch it on, the 'Nextbase' logo appears and a chime sound plays, then you hear a clicking noise and the camera restarts and the process starts over.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Any ideas?
Thanks again for all of the help!

Nothing else to do but try and load the firmware again i assume, if it will take ?
I once had another brand camera that went belly up ( though not like yours ) loading the same firmware that was on it fixed it up, at least for the next 2 years and XX new firmware's while it was still in my car.

O and welcome to the forum tibbo :)(y)

hey kamkar! thanks so much for the quick reply!
I tired upgrading the firmware to FW96660A.bin but the issue is still occuring.

I'm not too sure what firmware was on it previously as it only booted to the logo screen and then restarted back into the loop.... im guessing it was just the stock firmware as I am guessing it was never updated?
I could try to roll it back with a fresh install of the original firmware?

dont have to be the exact one, that was just what i did back then as it was a new camera and the newest firmware on the camera.

I will tag a Nextbase rep for you @NextBase Support so you can get some official feedback CUZ i am not familiar with the nextbase cameras

ahh man that is so awesome of you! thanks so much!

I tried updating the firmware and I guess it was successful as the logo is now different (on a blue background now) but the boot-loop issue is still there, so I am guessing it might be hardware related?

That is indeed a option, how about a reset hardware "button" on that camera, often found inside a little hole, other times by really long pressing some button.

The reset button just sort of restarts the device, and it goes straight back into the boot loop.
My gut instinct was that it might be something electrical, but I opened-up the camera and couldn't see any weak joints on the boards or any obvious damage to any of the interior components...
Hopefully someone on the Nextbase side of things may have encountered this issue previously and can assist! :) Thanks again so much for all the help Kamkar!

Dang it, sounds like you might have a need for warranty from nextbase, if thats still a option on the devise.

Hopefully they will know how I can fix it :) I thought it was bet to post here just incase anyone else has a similar issue in the future :)

I thought it was bet to post here just incase anyone else has a similar issue in the future :)
always a good idea

if it does it with or without a memory card, and you've had no change using a different power supply or from reloading the firmware then it's likely a hardware fault and not something you can repair yourself, was it still in warranty?

Hi Tibbo,

It does sound like a Hard Ware Fault. As you've opened the camera, the camera will not be within warranty.

We can offer an investigation service at our Repair Centre in Wales. Once the camera is sent into us, our engineers will find the source of the issue and then contact you regarding the issue and cost of repair. If you'd like more information, please call us on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can get the camera booked in.

Regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Tibbo,

It does sound like a Hard Ware Fault. As you've opened the camera, the camera will not be within warranty.

We can offer an investigation service at our Repair Centre in Wales. Once the camera is sent into us, our engineers will find the source of the issue and then contact you regarding the issue and cost of repair. If you'd like more information, please call us on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can get the camera booked in.

Regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support
I have this same fault. Loop-booting. It’s the same with or without memory card. I’ve tried reset button.
is there some CtrlAltDel combination I can try?
Almost surely out of warranty.

I have this same fault. Loop-booting. It’s the same with or without memory card. I’ve tried reset button.
is there some CtrlAltDel combination I can try?
Almost surely out of warranty.
Interesting…

My 412GW has two USB connection, one marked DC, the other with the universal USB symbol. I believe that I have only ever used the ’USB’ connection, where I now have the Loop-Booting phenomenon.

Attaching to the DC connection, all appears to be OK, the device seems to be recording, which I can check when I return home.

I am driving up from (quiet) Brittany to (busy) Paris and my previous experienc suggests that if I’m likely to get a ding then Paris is a likely suspect!

I hope this is useful to someone else.

It is not unusual for dashcams to have 2 USB ports, one are normally for powering the camera and the other is for debugging or something like that, could also be that other port are for connecting camera to PC if you want to use it as a card reader,,,,,, though most dashcams are very slow card readers, giving you 15MB/s read speeds where the memory card could potentially give you 90MB/s in a proper fast card reader on a fast USB port.
Some cameras have a GPS antenna remote and plug into the camera with a mini jack plug, but some times people have plugged that into the AV out plug, or also some times simply not pressed the plug in properly.
And then they wonder why are my GPS infoamation gone. :)

I visited Paris in the mid 80ties,,,,,, as a Dane there was a lot of "Mon dieu" going on there in regard to traffic, though back then i had only just gotten my driving license myself.
I am sure a lot of dings and scratches happen there every day,,,,,, and thats the little stuff no one hear about, then come all the serious accidents.

And the French food / cooking,,,, pardonne moi,,, but non,,,, absolument non, so thank god for mc donalds and burger king, or this Danish teenager would have been starving. :)

But in all fairness i was / am that way with many foods, i have also gotten traditional Danish dishes i like, but then upon tasting it go,,,, ooooo no this is not even close to what my mother made for me.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 412GW 3
M 412GW 16
Back